Lethal O/R xpipe
LUND tune
BMR SP009 springs
Strange struts (full loose)
Viking rear shocks (5C/7R)
LCA relocation brackets
3885 race weight with me
15x10 racestars with 325/50/15s Mickey DRs

All 6 passes were in the 2.0 60' 12.6xx @114.xx mph. The car just felt relly lazy coming out, it wasn't spinning but it would not 60' in the 1s! I tried leaving at 1000rpms, 1200, 1500, 1900 no matter what i tried it always felt lazy. I didn't have my laptop so I couldnt log the runs. Does anyone have any advice or things to look for to try to get the car to 60ft?

Attachments

• 20160408_185710.jpg
    20160408_185710.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 5

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert, or even a novice for that matter, but it seems like you're leaving at a really low RPM compared to what I've seen floating around here. Could be dead-wrong though.

vinylinterior89

Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert, or even a novice for that matter, but it seems like you're leaving at a really low RPM compared to what I've seen floating around here. Could be dead-wrong though.

Most people say with the stock converter to leave around 1000rpms and it will flash when you leave. When I tried leaving above 2000rpms it started to spin and pushed through the lights.

This auto stuff is all new to me lol. Guess there is a learning curve to get it right just like stick cars.

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
Did you have the advance track fully off - foot on brake and hold traction control button for -5ish seconds?? dash then reads advance track off? with those tires you should be running 1.90's to a 1.87 60'. mph is decent for the et- that mph should carry you to a 12.30's depending on your da- what is your elevation and what was the da at the time of the runs? with your mods car should be running 12.20's in good da 12.30's in ok da. I could run 1.92's consistently with my pizza cutter stock pirelles's and only pull 1.89 with a 26" mt 18" dr.

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
Oh and what psi were you running those tires at - can believe you could even turn them over with the stock converter- doesn't that size compute ruffly to a 26 10.5 . -
Was there no prep at the track?

vinylinterior89

Reaction score
The DA was 2500. Yeah i had the advancetrac fully off. Track prep was pretty good. Those tires are 28s. The racestars with those tires were too good of a craigslist deal to pass up. They wouldn't of been my first choice if I were buyin new.

Before on my street tires it would spin to a 2.0x 60ft. I changed tuners (gained 2mph) did the suspension stuff and put the DRs on. I figured leaving the same way if it didn't spin it should be in the 1s. But it just came out lazy slmost like it was taking off in 2nd gear instead of 1st. My laptop died so I couldn't log it.

This is my 1st auto car in 16 years. I thought it would be easy lol. In the past i have always been able to get in the 1.9x range on street tires with sticks (fox bodies, 335, c5z etc) so Idk if its me or the car

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
those 28's definitely aren't helping with the stock converter- like I said I could pull of 1.92 with same mods (better da) on stock all seasons and only would pull 1.89-1.88's with a 26" dr's - after the converter install I could get 1.59 on those 18" dr's and a best of 1.58 on a 275/60/15 mt dr- I was 115 mph- 12.20's with out shocks or struts- and am still on stock shocks and struts hoping to go 9.90's this opening weekend- ( installed a pro charger a month ago) Your weather down there is starting to get hot so your da is just going to get worse till late fall or winter. On the factory struts/shocks I always had better luck stalling the converter to just before the tires would spin than flashing it - but most other people have better luck flashing it- don't know if this changes on aftermarket shocks/struts. Time for a converter or a tvs blower- lol.

vinylinterior89

Reaction score
Yeah a converter and spray or a blower keep coming up on my wish list lol. There is a very small window down here where you get a good DA and a good track. A lot of times with a good DA the temp is right around the dew point and the track doesnt work. I did the shock/ struts because i was lowering the car to get rid of the 4x4 look and the car had 50k miles so i figured time to upgrade the struts since i had to remove them. And since i had the springs, struts and relocation brackets figured id do the shocks. My stock rears are 275/40/19 which is like a 27.8ish tire or something close. So the tune is for that size tire. So with the 28 it keeps the same tune rather than having to change it with tire change. And like I mentioned those tires were on the wheels when I got them. One thing i like about stangs is th used market is hard to beat!!

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Regardless the tire size (although yours are to tall) these cars with the stock converters are hard to get a good 60' out of.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
My minimally modded '14 GT Auto posts sixty foots in the 1.59 to 1.64 range all day at the track. In good DA it runs 11.6's consistently in the 1/4 mile, with a few 11.5's occasionally. In worse DA (2000-3000') it runs 11.7's or 11.8's.

That's in a heavy car (3800 lb race weight with me in the car), 100% pure stock engine down to the paper air filter in the stock air box, and 100% pure stock suspension. I use a 28" tall drag radial (275/60/15 on 15x10 SVE's) with 17x4.5's up front.

I believe the magic in these cars is in the tune and especially in the stall converter. I have a Circle-D 4E converter built to flash to 5,000 rpm's. The converter alone is worth about 5 or 6 tenths in the 1/4 mile and is the biggest bang-for-the-buck, IMO. My car is a true daily driver & family hauler, and the street manners are great even with the converter.

Last edited:

vinylinterior89

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Maybe Im out of line but I would hope the car would be able to 60' in the 1.8x range being NA with a stock converter, expecially with some suspension and a DR reguardeless if it a 28 or 26.

I tired something last night on my street tires and it really makes me think the car is leaving in 2nd gear! If I log it, it should show that correct? I tried leaving with the shifter in the 1 position and the sec I hit it, it blew the tires off. Normally with it in the OD postion it doesnt do that.

At the track I put it in 2 to do the burnout and as i pulling up to the lights put it in OD and stage the car and leave. Idk if the car doesnt like that or if its in the tune. But I think I need to log it to confirm this.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Try leaving with the shifter in 1st again, and if it spins them again, I'd say you're car's taking off in 2nd from a stop when the selector is in drive for whatever reason. The 4.17 1st gear should not feel "lazy" imo regardless of tire height.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Get a converter and you have a solid 11.8 or faster car.

Hell my car runs consistent 11.9 in 3500+DA with OR X, intake, tune and a Circle D 4c.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I Had an '06 that before I got a stall converter wouldn't leave off the line at anything over idle rpm. iff I tried to leave at 1500 it would just kind of bog.....really strange thing. I only have a Bama tune now and it will blow the tires off on the street, haven't been to the track with it yet. I really hate the long stretch between 1st and 2nd gear what fuck up by Ford Engineering!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back