Transmission Only For Certain Years?

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Since I need to replace the automatic transmission in my V6, I been checking out ebay for used and remanufactured units. Non of the listings ever outright say that the listed tranny is for years 05 06 only, or 07 up only, however in reading he listings, it seems to hint to that it may only fit one of those two model year groups. For example, one listing said fits "Thur 02/05/07", and another I found lists fits "05 06". Again, this listing never actually say that it will only fit these listed years. I just want to clear this up before I buy one. Are there two different 5R55S's for the 05 to 10 V6 models that will only fit certain years?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There must be a local transmission place that can rebuild yours or take yours as a core for a reman unit. This sounds like exactly the situation to go that route.

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of places here to rebuild it for me. However, my engine is getting long in the tooth, and I don't want to spend $2100 to 2500 to rebuild one. I'd rather just buy a used one with ok mileage and install it.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I have a perfectly fine 4.0 if you need an engine. Will include a brand new water pump, and new ford tstat housing kit. (neither ever installed, still in the box)

First $800 +shipping takes it.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 5spd trans for an 07 4.0. Also available.

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I really need to find out if there are differences in the auto transmissions between year 05,06 and 07 on to 2010. Here's an example of what I'm finding that's leading me to inquire about this. On rockauto's website, for a re manufactured 5r55s for years 05 and 06, the part number is T163021. However, for years 07 and on to 2010, the part number is T163026. Both of these Tranny's are from the same re manufacturer, and are priced the same too, but they have a different part number. So this leads me to ask, is there a difference between the 05, 06 and 07 on 4.0? Mainly, the reason I'm looking to clarify this is because a lot of these tranny's can be found online, and I want to avoid buying one, only to find a single bolt difference now means I can't use it.

CtCarl

Affiliate Member
Reaction score
FWIW, Ben, I usually go by car-part.com's interchange system for stuff like this.

The bottom line seems to be that up to 2-5-07 is one part, and 2-6-07 and after is another. I'd suggest going by the build date on your car and matching it up with the appropriate date range.

Luckily, the breakpoint of February 07 means that there are plenty of donor cars on both sides, so if you're looking for a used piece, you should have lots to choose from.

Hope this helps!

carpart interchange mustang at1037.jpg

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is good information. Thanks for letting me know. I was able to find a transmission, and for the appropriate year. Now my problem is making sure the bolt circle pattern is the right size for the torque converter I bought. There's two for this model, and the Ford dealer can't even tell me which is the right size. Bought the replacement TQ, and just winging it.

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In case anyone is replacing their torque converter. For an 05 V6, the bolt circle pattern is 8 13/16 inches. 9 3/16 inches will not work. If you don't know what those numbers are, don't worry about it. If the time comes, just remember 8 13/16 inches bolt circle pattern.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back