TREMEC T56 Magnum S197 Transmission

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Hey AutoX, YES! That's exactly the problems. I know the internet is a confusing place with lots of contradicting viewpoints, but there's a number of people with the dual disc clutch that don't have that rattle (or buzz) at 2k and below. Some it happens at a lower RPM, some not at all. But I appreciate your input. So the solution is to use a different fluid (and another member suggested some and I bought it, but I haven't put it in yet) and either get used to the noise or get a different clutch.

So everyone, what clutch do you have and do you like it? My car is street driven most of the time, and I don't mind some noise, but I'd like a quieter clutch and decent engagement (I get stuck in Washington DC rush hour often enough it hurts). My saleen is 505hp at the wheels so I'm about 560 at the clutch.

I've heard Spec 3 is good, but the engagement is a little tight. Anybody else?

When I had the stock drivetrain and the RST, I had no buzzing. I did have the clunkiness at idle. But not the buzzing below 2K RPM.

The buzzing I believe comes from the transmission. I had long conversations with Tremec about it. Its normal and expected. From my understanding, a lot of it has to do with the steel SFI bell housing that amplifies the noise.
I don't like it either, but I have learned to drive in 3rd and 4th at no less than 2K.

I know it sucks, but anytime you mod a car, you will introduce sacrifices in comfort. Even if you change the clutch, you may get rid of the idle clunks, but the buzzing will remain. Like Skwerl said, these motors don't like being under 2K RPM.

When it was stock, I got used to driving my car in the 1,500 rpm range. Was quiet as all hell. I added 300 more horsepower and it complains being under 2K rpm.

I hate to say it, but you're stuck with the buzzing. Unless you completely change your setup (bell housing and possibly transmission).

cgornowich

forum member
Reaction score
Noise

Bingo, Thanks for the info. So let me see if I have this right, you have the T56, and your 4.6 is blown. Three questions:

1. Do you have any suspension mods?
2. Does your transmission rattle at low rpm, like below 2k?
3. Is your clutch rush hour friendly?

I know I'm looking for a unicorn....

Thanks,

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The RST is about as rush hour friendly as you're gonna get. Awesome smooth engagement with such a light pedal.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Hi Sqwerl, Yes, the RST engages very nicely. Mine chatters just a little. But that grinding below 2k is a killer....

Grinding!!?? Have you tested the clutch to see if it fails to disengage when you press the clutch after its hot?

My first RST had a defect where the something was warped. I don't remember the details. Its somewhere in this forum. But it functioned awesome when cold, but as soon as it was hot (normal operating temps) the clutch would fail to disengage. Sometimes it was hard to get it out or into gear. Typically happened in the lower gears (1st, 2nd, 3rd). I would come to a stop, still in gear, and pressing the clutch pedal, the car would still inch forward until I took it out of gear.

If I remember, it had something to do with the gold ring, flywheel, and discs.
Quite a few people had that issue a few years back. Not sure if its still an issue. Many of them had to do with installation.

cgornowich

forum member
Reaction score
Noise

Allow me to clarify the noise my t56 (might be the clutch, hard to tell) makes. Below 2,000 rpm and only in 3rd or 4th gear, it sounds like a someone is violently twirling a coffee can with a dozen or so 1" rocks in it. It is so loud you can hear nothing else, not the radio, not the exhaust, nothing. It's also plenty loud outside the car, claims my neighbor. If you press on the gas pedal, the noise gets louder, if you release the gas pedal, the noise stops. I understand the dealing with it is an option. Hey, I've got a crotch-rocket, I get it. But this is a v8, and I'm not willing to deal with it.

I have not hear from anyone who had this problem and resolve it. People either have it (and say, "suck it up"), or they don't have it. It's black or white, no grey. Weird.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Allow me to clarify the noise my t56 (might be the clutch, hard to tell) makes. Below 2,000 rpm and only in 3rd or 4th gear, it sounds like a someone is violently twirling a coffee can with a dozen or so 1" rocks in it. It is so loud you can hear nothing else, not the radio, not the exhaust, nothing. It's also plenty loud outside the car, claims my neighbor. If you press on the gas pedal, the noise gets louder, if you release the gas pedal, the noise stops. I understand the dealing with it is an option. Hey, I've got a crotch-rocket, I get it. But this is a v8, and I'm not willing to deal with it.

I have not hear from anyone who had this problem and resolve it. People either have it (and say, "suck it up"), or they don't have it. It's black or white, no grey. Weird.

I believe everyone has it regardless of clutch. Its the transmission/bell housing.

I don't want to discourage you. But I think you are chasing a Unicorn trying to eliminate the 3rd and 4th gear buzz under 2K. The only way you'll get rid of it is to down grade to an OEM GT500 6 speed.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bingo, Thanks for the info. So let me see if I have this right, you have the T56, and your 4.6 is blown. Three questions:

1. Do you have any suspension mods?
2. Does your transmission rattle at low rpm, like below 2k?
3. Is your clutch rush hour friendly?

I know I'm looking for a unicorn....

Thanks,

I have a Saleen coilover kit, BMR panhard bar, Edelbrock LCAs, and FRPP sway bars.

I don't have any perceptible rattle or unnerving noise that you've been describing.

The clutch is very similar to stock weight and throw. It's been a while since I've driven a stock TR-3650, but I think the Spec 3+ is barely heavier, with a comparable take-up. It chattered pretty good for the first few thousand break-in miles, but it's pretty smooth now. Other than still having stock 3.55 gears, it wouldn't be too bad in moderate traffic. Great highway gearing, though.

Last edited:

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I have a Saleen coilover kit, BMR panhard bar, Edelbrock LCAs, and FRPP sway bars.

I don't have any perceptible rattle or unnerving noise that you've been describing.

The clutch is very similar to stock weight and throw. It's been a while since I've driven a stock TR-3650, but I think the Spec 3+ is barely heavier, with a comparable take-up. It chattered pretty good for the first few thousand break-in miles, but it's pretty smooth now. Other than still having stock 3.55 gears, it wouldn't be too bad in moderate traffic.

So your T-56 Magnum XL transmission does not buzz below 2K rpm in 3rd and 4th if you load it up?

Coasting/cruising at 1,400 RPM in 3rd or 4th, then moderately squeeze the throttle... No drivetrain buzz until 2,000 rpm...?

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it was hard to get it out or into gear. Typically happened in the lower gears (1st, 2nd, 3rd). I would come to a stop, still in gear, and pressing the clutch pedal, the car would still inch forward until I took it out of gear.

Mine will inch forward when engaging first with the clutch pedal pressed, but only as I'm engaging first. Once it's in gear, it stays stationary and I have no problems getting into gear.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So your T-56 Magnum XL transmission does not buzz below 2K rpm in 3rd and 4th if you load it up?

Coasting/cruising at 1,400 RPM in 3rd or 4th, then moderately squeeze the throttle... No drivetrain buzz until 2,000 rpm...?

I guess there's a low-pitched growl type sound it makes, but it's done that since day one and it shifts just fine so I never paid any attention to it. I try not to let it do that anyway since lugging the engine (especially with boost) isn't a good idea.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I guess there's a low-pitched growl type sound it makes, but it's done that since day one and it shifts just fine so I never paid any attention to it. I try not to let it do that anyway since lugging the engine (especially with boost) isn't a good idea.

Yes, that would be another word for it...growl. Probably a better word than buzz. Typically when mine does that, I'm driving slow, trying to maintain 30-40 MPH...just trying to maintain the speed in 3rd and 4th causes this growl. Mine has also done it since day one.

Its hard to come from the stock drivetrain that lets you cruise at 1,500 RPM and its quiet and smooth to then have to change your driving habits and drive the car no lower than 2,000 RPM. lol

Even harder when you drive your daily automatic vehicle that is constantly in the 1,500-2,000 RPM range...then you try to drive your Mustang like that. LOL.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm usually shifting around 2000 if I'm driving easy. People say these cars don't like to be in the low RPM range, but the 3-valves have some good low-end power and I don't worry about being under 2000 as long as I'm not putting much of a load on it (i.e. in high gear going up a hill or something).

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had the low rpm 3rd and 4th gear noise exactly as yall describe on my 6060 not sure how this translates to a t56 although the internals are the same. It is completely gone after having the trans rebuilt. The rebuild was cf synchros and bronze pads and the tail shaft damper which apparently wasn't on all years.

As I got it as a takeout advertised as a 2010.
Image03122011103947.jpg

And after being rebuilt with the new tailshaft so you can see the difference.

20150321_130139_zpsl9ahwqbs.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back