Tuning question

thailand

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,
I hope this isn't frowned upon, but here goes...(if it is, please close the thread)

I just recently went supercharged and have my old intake up for sale. If someone decided to buy it, I also have the tune files for it saved to my PC. If they had the same PCM code as me, could they use the tune files? I'd like to be able to throw them in as a bonus to the buyer, but don't want anyone ruining their engine.

Thanks. Sorry if this was answered already, all the searching I did revealed that "tuners" couldn't be shared.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes, if the strategy code happened to be the same you could share the file, however, their mods would need to be identical.

Legally, it’s probably theft to share it

thailand

forum member
Reaction score
stkjock, thanks for your insight. Legally, I thought it mimicked "piracy" in a sense. On the other hand, it was a "free" tune...if that makes a difference.

But bottom line is that if it is theft, then I will not offer it on this board, or any other. You're the admin after all is said and done. Thanks again.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Not certain but I believe the tune is also tuner device specific. When a tuner makes a tune he needs to know two things from the customer (aside from the mods).
1.) The strategy code on the PCM
2.) The serial number of the device it is going to be loaded to.

This I believe stops the tunes from being shared. Otherwise I don't know why a tuner would need a serial number off of the device, just the model number of it.

thailand

forum member
Reaction score
Good point redfirepearlgt. I did not know that the serial number was needed as well. I bought the intake and tuner at the same time, so I didn't see that part of the process. I still have my SCT, but didn't put it up for sale, just in case I need it when they tune my supercharger.
So for now, I have both a Diablo, that came with the Paxton kit, and the SCT. I kept both just in case the tuner prefers SCT over Diablo. I just need to find a good tuner in my area, or Lito...but I do not have a wideband.

sman247

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldnt throw in the tune in case something went wrong. There's a lot of variables with tuning and like stated above, for someone to be able to use it they need to have identical mods. I know it's out of good heart but you never know

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Tunes are not transferable, the data is useless to 99% of end users because most are not self tuning nor do the have the ability.

bl817

Reaction score
I agree with the others on giving the tune to the next buyer of your intake, not a good idea, however a good thought and gesture. That said, if it were me, I would keep the programmer your more comfortable using as your tuner will be able to use whichever platform and sell the other with the intake as a package deal. S/He will more than likely, like most of us when modding, order email tunes from a reputable company for their new to them intake and car. I don't think you will have much trouble selling a programmer and intake together for the right price. good luck

thailand

forum member
Reaction score
Appreciate the answers guys. I wasn't sure, and definitely don't want to offer something that is a virtual paperweight, haha. Thanks again, I appreciate the insight, and I learned something today!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back