UPR Billet Oil Catch Can Install 2005-10 3V

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I run Mobil1 5W20 Synthetic oil in my 2006 Mustang GT, and it uses a little bit of oil between oil changes. At first I thought it might be worn out piston rings, then I wondered about valve seals, and I started to get really paranoid. Then I remembered that a lot of people with 3V GTs say that these 4.6L 3Vs make a lot of oil mist and that if you don't run a catch can, it just pulls it through the intake manifold. I'm sure we've all heard the horror stories about oil puddles in the intake manifold.

Anyway, I can't allow engine oil to be sucked into the intake manifold and I'm all about installing upgrades that offer a little bit of bling in addition to functionality, so I installed our UPR Products 5032-05 Billet Oil Catch Can for 2005-10 4.6L 3Vs. It retails for $99 and it comes with everything you need to install it. It's a quick and easy installation, but I took a few pics in case anyone wants to visualize it. Check it out:

The first step is to install the pipe plug in the bottom of the can. (allen wrench is included) The bottom of the can is tapped in case you want to run a drain line, which is a thoughtful addition, but I'll just drain the can every time I change the oil, so I'm not running a drain.

1.jpg

The next step is to install the mounting arm. (again, allen wrench included) I wanted to make sure the mount didn't work its way loose, so I used a dab of Loctite on the screw.

2.jpg

Next you install the 90 degree Delrin fittings, in roughly this orientation:

3.jpg

Then you remove the factory tube running from the driver's side valve cover to the intake manifold. (no tools needed, just press the green tabs and slide the hose ends off)

4.jpg

Remove this 10mm bolt from the bracket on the driver's side strut tower and reuse that bolt to attach the catch can.

5.jpg

Cut the hose (included) to the proper length, slide over the barbs on the 90 degree fittings, and slide onto the tube coming from the intake manifold and the tube on the valve cover. I thought about using hose clamps here, I even thought about re-using the factory hose ends with the green clips... but when you install the hoses like this, you'll see that they are not going ANYWHERE!

6.jpg

From this angle, it looks like the can is a little close to the valve cover. Just to satisfy my curiosity, I unscrewed the bottom of the can like I would do to empty it, and it came off and went right back on without using any tools or moving anything around. Nice!

7.jpg

The final step is to crack open a nice cold Diet Pepsi, stand back, and enjoy the fruit of your labor.

8.jpg

Here's another view:

9.jpg

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Depending on your power level, my personal option is to do away with the PCV system completely. Run a pair of lines off your valve covers to a T, hosed to the back of the car into a vented catch can with a drain. I build my own system using 3/4" hose, 3/4" NPT hose barbs threaded into valve covers., 3/4" hose to a T, then 3/4" hose to a catch can mounted on the drivers side rear quarter panel next to the Magnaflow mufflers.

Haven't had a bit of problem with the dreaded "smoke puff" after a high RPM run since installation.

F

fordmanm6609

I used the Moroso can.

Attachments

• comp%204[1].JPG
    comp%204[1].JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC00796[1].JPG
    DSC00796[1].JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 250
Last edited by a moderator:

Lgs SGT

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone install the UPR catch can on an '07 with an e-force S/C?

Just doesn't seem to be any logical mounting point plus not much space available

It appears that I may need a custom bracket fabricated

Thanks

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
looks good sharad, i need one of these for sure

I don't know how I missed your post until just now. Sorry about that. Anyway, thanks for the compliment. Let me know if you haven't already picked one of these up, so I can give you a discount.

looks good man interested to see how much oil there is too

Thanks. Here is my can after about 3000 miles:

IMG_1572.jpg

It's probably 4-6oz.

Anyone install the UPR catch can on an '07 with an e-force S/C?

Just doesn't seem to be any logical mounting point plus not much space available

It appears that I may need a custom bracket fabricated

Thanks

If you have a moment, call the shop at 561.588.6630 and ask for Jeremy. He should be able to help you out.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back