Used PWC tires for track days?

Discussion in 'Corner Carver Racing Tech Discussion' started by DILYSI Dave, Jun 4, 2018.

1. DILYSI Dave

DILYSI Dave forum member

Anyone running the Pirelli 305/680/18 cast offs from the PWC Porsches on their Mustang? Looks like a decent size, and they go for pretty cheap in the used market.

2. Strengthrehab

Strengthrehab forum member

Lots of people seem to be procuring them per FB groups I've seen.

3. Speedboosted

Speedboosted Found missing cylinders

I run the Continental slicks (not sure how much of a difference there is between the two). For what it's worth, I have a set of four 305/685-18 Conti slicks that I'd sell for $400. They have very little use, 2 heat cycles.

4. o2sys

o2sys forum member

I was running N0 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S designed for the Panamera's and they were great tires. For being A/S they hooked great, rode nice, and low tread noise.

5. ShelbyX3

ShelbyX3 Junior Member

For those running 305/680/18 are you having any rubbing issues on the front on hard/sharp turn-ins; especially if you are running brake ducts? Everyone I talk to said 285 is the widest you can go on the front and still maintain the turn radius and minimize the chance of rubbing on the duct work?

I am looking for another set of track tires but am worried with the 305 width....

GT

6. ApexRaceParts

ApexRaceParts Official Site Vendor

It really comes down to running the correct offset wheels up front, getting those wheels perfectly centered in the space available. On my personal car, I run our 18x11" ET52 EC-7 with a 20mm spacer (because of the coilovers) with 305 slicks and it doesn't rub the 3" cooling ducts. Before the 11s, I ran the same 305 slick on a 10" wheel and it didn't rub either.

Certain cars came with different thickness steering rack limiters as well, based on what wheels they had from the factory. This plays a big role into what will rub or not rub at full lock. On my other Mustang (same year, but originally a 6 cylinder car with 16" wheels), the 10s would rub at full lock because of how much more movement the rack would allow.

- Cory

7. Sky Render

Sky Render Stig's Retarded Cousin

Rock auto shows 3 different part numbers for tie rods, the difference being where the limiters are for the different wheel sizes:
    • 19"
    • 18"
    • 16-17"
    Which limiters give the most room?

8. ApexRaceParts

ApexRaceParts Official Site Vendor

Limiters for cars with smaller wheels will allow the rack to turn more sharply. It's more about the width of the wheel, not diameter but in this case the larger the diameter, the wider the wheels happen to be. So I guess to directly answer your question, the 16-17" one you listed last would give it the most movement. But because you can turn sharper, greater chance of rubbing at "full lock".

- Cory