Using Cheapo Hose Clamps for TPMS Sensors

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
Getting new wheels? Think $80 for "special" clamps is a bit rich? And another $150+ for new sensors making you wish you didn't have TPMS? Well have I got a how-to for you..

You'll need:

- TPMS Sensors (got mine from eBay from an Expedition, $35 or so for the set and yes they work!)
- Dremel and/or small file
- A small screwdriver or two
- Hose clamps in the appropriate size ($3-4 each)
- Double sided tape (not shown, $3-5)
- Beer (optional)

P1190175.jpg

Step One: This is the hard part..figuring out what size clamp to get. You'll need to measure the diameter of the recessed area (known as the "drop center"). Take a flexible tape measure or use a string, tape, etc. and measure the circumference and divide by pi (or 3.14159256 if you don't speak geek). The drop center for my particular 18" wheels was about 17" in diameter; I'm sure most 18's are close to this but they probably vary from wheel to wheel so check yours before ordering.

dropcenter.jpg

Once you figure that out, you can start your hunt for large hose clamps. This was harder than I thought but found some that were the right size at MSC Direct, and they were only about $3-4 each. The good news is that it's all down hill from here..

Next, take the metal bracket off the sensors. Use a small screwdriver to remove the plastic retainers and then pop the bracket off the plastic sensor body.

P1190177.jpg

P1190178.jpg

P1190180.jpg

Next, you'll need to open up the slots in the mounting bracket a bit to allow the hose clamp to fit through it. Try to remove the same amount of material from each side to keep it centered.

P1190190.jpg

Next, you'll need to make room for the clamp on the sensor body itself. Remove the raised portions on the "saddle" part. I used a dremel with a worn down fiberglass cutoff wheel, but be warned that the plastic will gum things up so keep the speeds down and don't use anything you're not prepared to throw out after you're done. I don't think they serve any other function than speeding assembly at the factory. Depending on how wide your clamps are, you may have to widen more than just the saddle part (I had to just a little bit).

P1190184.jpg

When your clamp fits like it does in the picture below, you're almost done:

P1190196.jpg

Now just reassemble the sensor and bracket, slide the clamp through to make sure it all works together.

The last step is installing them on the wheels. If you're using used sensors, clean off any remaining foam adhesive tape and put new tape on. Wipe the drop center off with some rubbing alcohol, dry, and then place the sensor 180 degrees from the valve stem and as far outboard as possible while still on the "flat" area. Run your clamp through, make sure the tightening screw section is by the valve stem (act as a little bit of counterbalance to the sensor), cinch it down and you're good to go! :thumb:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
why not place the sensors in a pvc tube with a valve stem on one end, pump it up to 35psi, and toss it under the pass seat haha

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 and had a nail in my tire that was causing a slow leak. The tire was down to 18lbs...never had a warning.

What happens (what warnings, lights, whistles etc...) when you have a low tire on a car with this system?

RH

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
I have an 05 and had a nail in my tire that was causing a slow leak. The tire was down to 18lbs...never had a warning.

What happens (what warnings, lights, whistles etc...) when you have a low tire on a car with this system?

RH

TPMS is on all vehicles 2007 and up

06 and below was up to the maker and mustang was NOT one of them til 2007

Well if you did have TPMS, there would be a warning light on the dash...but I guess you don't have to worry about that!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back