Vortech/Paxton vs Procharger

07 s197

forum member
Reaction score
Where did you purchase the procharger from? I'm comparing the two blowers currently and getting ready to make a purchase next month. So far the Brenspeed's price on the paxton h.o. can't be touched.
Where are you located? PM Mike Rousch for a price on the paxton kit

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
From what I've heard from a paxton fan the paxton makes more hp at lower rpm range then the Procharger. Any thoughts,opinions or fact about this from anyone?

From my short expierence with my paxton, it still took some time to spool itself up and really make power...I didnt see a major jolt in power until around 3K....Based on both designs the systems perform very similar.
this is where centrifugal blowers can be similar to turbos...in that one needs to correctly "size" the blower to ones specific combination.

in the case of GrnBullitt08, he had a Novi2200...a blower that has the capability to move large amounts of air...so a blower like this is goin to need lots of rpm and even with the combination that he was running at the time, will still not start making good steam till its north of 4k.

i had a Vortech on my 2001 GT and it was perfect. never gave me any problems...and i met several people with Prochargers who constantly had leaking issues. but this was back in 2002-04. Procharger seems to have a handle on their quality issues and from what ive seen today they are a quality product.

like it was said before...all are good blowers...and all have pros and cons. when the time comes ill probably go back to a Vortech.

yellowjohn1

forum member
Reaction score
Quality and power are pretty close between the 3. Because of that, I am eventually getting the pro-charger for the sick ass whistle they have. I also like how they look under the hood a little more.

Bullitt3478

forum member
Reaction score
I have a Paxton 2200 Ho polished sitting in my garage.I bought it off this forum and it has very low mileage.I am thinking about selling it and going turbo.If any of you guys looking are interested Drop me a PM.I know this isnt a for sale thread but I will probably be posting one soon.Maybe an early shot at it.

Jeffs FRC

forum member
Reaction score
I here ya'. No my mind is not 100% made up. If more people with similar Vortech/Paxton kits are making more power, or if there is a inherent design flaw with the Procharger, then I can be easily persuaded to choose a different supercharger.

I really wanted a Vortech as that is what I had on my 03 GT (and LOVED it). But when I saw pictures of their kit I was like :wtf1: when I saw the intake. So I went to AFM website to see what typ of power pipe they were offering for the 05+ and they were $600+. Well $250 but you have to buy their DBX which make is $600. No thanks. That is when I started looking at Procharger.

Edit: If you made 518 through the stock Vortech intake, I would bet there is a fair amount of power to be had by upgrading your intake!!!!

My motor is stock so Im not worried about making any more power than I am now. The Paxton intake isn't as restrictive as one might think IMO. There is a guy on this site making close to 700rwhp with the stock Paxton intake plumbing.

Unless your going to a blow through setup I would stay away from an AFM pipe. Some have had problems with MAF interference using the stock recirculation valve's and the AFM pipe.

I was undecided for some time about which kit I wanted also, but through searching it seemed that on average the Paxton HO kits made slightly more power than the Procharger kits. From what I found Paxton cars generally made 480-520rwhp while the Prochargers were around 440-500rwhp. The filter being directly over an exhaust manifold on the Procharger systems really swayed me in the direction of the Paxton. Heat is never a good thing and on a FI car it really kills power.

First off, I want to say that im a procharger guy.

The intake is no issue for me at all, as the car does not suffer from much heatsoak from what I can tell (although I've only put 500 miles on the kit).
The reasons why I went with procharger over paxton/vortech:
The procharger kit (blower & intercooler) looks nice IMO (i have a polished kit- although the only thing thats polished is the blower and the tube that connects to the TB). In comparison to the other centris, the kit just looks to be of better quality (to me).
8-rib drive & 3-core intercooler (Stage 2 kit)
Sound- the BOV is awesome.
I do have to agree that the Prochargers have a cleaner look to them and the sound is simply amazing!

The intercooler on the Paxton is also huge...I had a hard time wedging it into place!lol

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
Quality and power are pretty close between the 3. Because of that, I am eventually getting the pro-charger for the sick ass whistle they have. I also like how they look under the hood a little more.

Here's a video of my "sick ass whistle"...

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
I too lean towards Procharger. The one on my 1971 Z28 has been on it for 10 + years and I have had zero problems. The intake was over the headers on the Z28 and it bothered me. I relocated it in front of the core support and the AIT only went down by 12 degrees. The air to air intercooler performs well enough on my car that the filter location does not seem to matter much. I put one on my old C5 Vette and had no issues with it either. Procharger's customer service is excellent also.

I am currently installing a D1SC on my 08 Mustang. Hope to have it on the dyno this Friday.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the paxton 2200 and if I were to do it over using a s/c, I would go with a procharger. Only reason I didn't is I read about leaking seals in the head unit but since I have only read one or two problems. My paxton was sent off with about 600 miles on the head unit, it was leaking lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back