Wall Mounting and Hiding wires.

charlie123

forum member
Reaction score
Seeing as how I have tomorrow off im going to do my home improvement project and hopefully it wont take long. Anyways I wall mounted my 52 inch LCD on the wall and tomorrow project will consist hiding the wires. My question to you guys is how would I go about dong this? Have you guys done it before? How easy was it? How would I go about doing the power bc from what I hear it is not a good thing to use a outlet behind the wall.

Pictures of before and after will be up thanks guys for the feedback.

I have already searched it and found that many people did things differently or they didnt explain it very well. Just wanted to see any first hand projects on this matter.

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
I'll be doing this in a week or two also. just mount the tv mount on the wall first. then cut a small square to run your cables to the back of your tv. then drop the ends of them down the inside of the wall an cut another square at the bottom to pull them out through. once you have that done. cover the holes with the appropriate plate (full covered plate with a hole drilled in it). run your wires, mount your tv and you're done. I'm not sure about the power cord yet but I think I'll just run it the same way and into the outlet on the wall.

good luck.

fieldy301

forum member
Reaction score
I love this stuff hahaa...I have a hung a few TV's on the wall and have sold them for a few yrs...Anyway...I strongly suggest NOT running the power cable in the wall...The biggest reason is it's against NEC (National Electric Code)...The power cables for a TV are not in wall rated...If they were to ever catch on fire your insurance company would not cover the damage...etc...etc....

Anyway...Put the bracket on the wall without the TV on it...then place where you want your wires to go...Depending on how clean you want the setup to look depends on how you go about it...

either cut a hole in the wall behind the TV and in the same stud bay cut a hole lower where you want it behind your TV stand...then feed wires...

The clean way to do it would be to go to Home Depot or Lowes...Buy some gang boxes and some wall plates matching your components and set it up that way...They make a cool plate for behind the TV that is just a bunch of brushes where the light switch would normally be...

If you have specific questions let me know I will be more then happy to give you some insight...What are you running for components and what exactly needs to be run in the wall? Do you have a receiver that will do switching for you etc?

dagamore

Poor Driver mod
Reaction score
while the power cable is not wall rated, you can have a CE, Certified Electrician, put an outlet that would be behind the tv, and that way you can have the power cord hidden, and still be in compliance and get to keep your insurance.

spedly

forum member
Reaction score
I mounted my tv then cut in 2 boxes behind it. For the cable I made a strait run of quadshield all the way out to the main splitter and for the electric I ran off the outlet that was below the tv since we won't be using it anymore.

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
The clean way to do it would be to go to Home Depot or Lowes...Buy some gang boxes and some wall plates matching your components and set it up that way...They make a cool plate for behind the TV that is just a bunch of brushes where the light switch would normally be...

what gang boxes are you talking about? I want to do mine the clean way. do they sell plates with the hdmi connectors and RCA jack inputs I can put in the bottom of the wall and then run it to the tv so I can run other connections straight to the plate without going up the wall again in the future?? hope you know what I mean. I seen a setup like this at best buy

spedly

forum member
Reaction score
what gang boxes are you talking about? I want to do mine the clean way. do they sell plates with the hdmi connectors and RCA jack inputs I can put in the bottom of the wall and then run it to the tv so I can run other connections straight to the plate without going up the wall again in the future?? hope you know what I mean. I seen a setup like this at best buy

I have rca and speaker connection plates. I haven't seen any hdmi ones, but I'm sure someone makes them. For the boxes I find it is easier to use "old work" boxes as they don't have to be nailed to a stud so you can mount them pretty much anywhere.

Joe Wicked

forum member
Reaction score
Kinda of late to the topic, but I have a good friend who is a high end Home Theater Guy. He is now the installation manager where he works, but he is licensed to do it all still. He did mine with me so I would not have to worry about insurance. I have experience with electrical but I am not currently licensed. What we did was put a new outlet behind the TV for the power. For the connection wires I bought a gang box at home depot with HDMI and Component inputs. This was mounted down on the wall where the cable input used to be. I also mounted the same behind the TV but also had the cable F-type that I pulled up from the lower original mount. Then I used short cables to go from the upper panel to the TV. I bought a 3' power cord so I did not have to worry about it coiled up behind the TV.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll be doing this in a week or two also. just mount the tv mount on the wall first. then cut a small square to run your cables to the back of your tv. then drop the ends of them down the inside of the wall an cut another square at the bottom to pull them out through. once you have that done. cover the holes with the appropriate plate (full covered plate with a hole drilled in it). run your wires, mount your tv and you're done. I'm not sure about the power cord yet but I think I'll just run it the same way and into the outlet on the wall.

good luck.

My buddy did this and it looks great.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Kinda of late to the topic, but I have a good friend who is a high end Home Theater Guy. He is now the installation manager where he works, but he is licensed to do it all still. He did mine with me so I would not have to worry about insurance. I have experience with electrical but I am not currently licensed. What we did was put a new outlet behind the TV for the power. For the connection wires I bought a gang box at home depot with HDMI and Component inputs. This was mounted down on the wall where the cable input used to be. I also mounted the same behind the TV but also had the cable F-type that I pulled up from the lower original mount. Then I used short cables to go from the upper panel to the TV. I bought a 3' power cord so I did not have to worry about it coiled up behind the TV.

This is the way to go!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back