Weight reduction, i'm running out of options

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Very important to consider. You are looking to get as light as possible. What is your end goal for the car? Not weight but usage.

moooosestang

Reaction score
Very important to consider. You are looking to get as light as possible. What is your end goal for the car? Not weight but usage.
My goal is to maximize the hp i have since i can't add horsepower without opening the motor. It's not a race car so i don't want to absolutely cut the interior.

The exhaust dumps would save 19lbs, but the drone! The drone is utterly ridiculous. It's a no for me.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
My goal is to maximize the hp i have since i can't add horsepower without opening the motor. It's not a race car so i don't want to absolutely cut the interior.

The exhaust dumps would save 19lbs, but the drone! The drone is utterly ridiculous. It's a no for me.
OK. Changing to an aftermarket lower control arm and k member set up will reduce weight

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
There is a lot of weight to come out of the car yet. If you're serious about weight reduction you have to realign your ideas about noise and vehicle harshness.

2-piece brake rotors
Wheels and tires
Suspension component material (aluminum vs steel)
Headers vs manifolds
Rear seat belts and child anchors
spare tire and accessories
sound deadener
HVAC system behind the dashboard
Seats
Steel supports around the radio and console
The console
Aluminum exhaust
Tie rod ends
Fog light delete
keep the stock aluminum hood
Crash bars behind the bumpers
Wiper fluid system delete
EPAS swap is worth a small amount of weight and places in in a more advantageous spot
Stock fuel tank for a fuel cell
gut the doors and go to base model door panels
This just off the top of my head, there is also brackets you can cut off the car which will allow huge rear wheels using forged offerings to save weight.
As you can see you have to decide how far you want to go...

PK Khobdeh

Reaction score
New K Member, radiator support, and A Arms is not that expensive and will save a net of 40 lbs...
Battery relocation to trunk will give you weight transfer to rear.

dhrmx5

Reaction score
The car in my avatar went on a weight reduction program in which everything that could possibly be changed while maintaining safety was done. Even to the extent that I replaced the oem core support with an aftermarket because it was 2lbs lighter. The aftermarket bumper reinforcement was 2lbs lighter than oem. But still only 5lbs. My point being we already had lightweight components on the car and changing them out saved maybe 20lbs. It still weighs 3450lbs. The S197 chassis is just heavy. Knocking a 100 lbs off your car won't make it appreciably faster. Spending the funds to build a longblock so as to maximize your S/C's abilities will net you a lot more speed.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back