Welding in relocation brackets

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
After I gave myself a fancy MIG welder for Christmas, I'm itching to weld anything in sight, lol. I have the Whiteline brackets, although not sure that matters...

My question is about safety precautions when welding that close to the gas tank, anything I need to worry about? Also to a lesser degree aside from disconnecting the battery is there something I should do regarding the PCM? I figure the voltage is going to travel from the ground cable to the electrode, so all should be fine, but better safe than sorry...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DTL

forum member
Reaction score
Just pull the ground cable off the battery. I've welded on mine plenty of times.

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I would unplug the PCM, Easy enough to do just to be safe and the NEG cable. I would not worry about the the fuel tank being there either.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Also . . . put your ground clamp somewhere on the same axle-side bracket that you're welding to and make sure that it has good electrical contact there. Passing current between gear teeth and through bearings (and maybe U-joints) sounds like something you really, really want to avoid.

Norm

BMR Tech 2

Kelly's Replacement Lackey
Reaction score
Do you have adjustable LCAs? If not, make sure you check and set your thrust angle before welding.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
When I welded in a set, I used an angle finder to set both brackets at the same angle to ensure the brackets were "true" across the axle. There's plenty of wiggle room with the bolted connections and you can get a couple degrees difference from side to side.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back