What will have better value in 10 years?

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
The problem with saleen and roush cars...they are just tuner cars. I go to my local car insurance dealer, (yrs ago) and they list..... GT-500, Mustang GT, Mustang V6..... pick one. Saleen, Roush, Shelby..... 'never heard of em'. The blue book value for a roush or saleen is the same as a plane jane GT. They are just mustang GT's..with a bunch of go fast parts. They will depreciate the same as a plane jane GT. Put a blower on a new mustang, and you don't even get a power train warranty. The roush rs3 only has a roush warranty..on roush parts... IE: the blower assy only. I'd go as far to say that on any non forged eng, adding a blower will depreciate it even faster.

Although I agree with the blue book value for the Saleen as being the same as a plain jane GT. IIRC the Saleen S281 SC and S281 Extreme models have modified 4.6 3v engines that included forged internals thru Saleen. If I'm also not mistaken, I believe that Saleen also had their own powertrain warranties in addition to retaining the Ford factory warranty on non-powertrain components :shrug:

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Although I agree with the blue book value for the Saleen as being the same as a plain jane GT. IIRC the Saleen S281 SC and S281 Extreme models have modified 4.6 3v engines that included forged internals thru Saleen. If I'm also not mistaken, I believe that Saleen also had their own powertrain warranties in addition to retaining the Ford factory warranty on non-powertrain components :shrug:
You are correct! They would pull the brand new engine and bore it 20 over. I believe a friend of mine that worked there said it was a 355 when finished with all forge internals. You also retained the factory warranty. They did have a problem at first with financing and insurance because they were only classified as a GT but they fixed that problem pretty quick. There's a dealer near me that still to this day advertiser themselves a Saleen dealer. They usually had 15-20 on the lot at a time. I loved stopping by there on my way home from college to look at all of them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
You're also spot on and totally agree with the Saleen models retaining the Ford factory warranty. As for the dealer I think you're referring to in Mich, goes by Saleencars84 :shrug:

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You're also spot on and totally agree with the Saleen models retaining the Ford factory warranty. As for the dealer I think you're referring to in Mich, goes by Saleencars84 :shrug:
There are several models that Saleen produced that will hold there value. The Dark horse, only 25 ever made the glass roof, not sure on that, the PJ models. Saleen had a shitty business model for sure. Campbell Ford in Niles Michigan is the dealer.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
The Dark horse to be honest with you I wasn't aware of until you just brought it to my attention. The PJ edition I agree will hold it's valve, as I also know someone from my local car cruise events who owns a PJ. It just really sucks about Saleen having a really shitty business model, as the company royally screwed over one of my local Ford dealerships who used to be a Saleen dealership as well. In the meantime, thanks for the heads up about the Saleen Dark horse edition and also for Campbell Ford in Niles Michigan :waytogo:

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Dark horse to be honest with you I wasn't aware of until you just brought it to my attention. The PJ edition I agree will hold it's valve, as I also know someone from my local car cruise events who owns a PJ. It just really sucks about Saleen having a really shitty business model, as the company royally screwed over one of my local Ford dealerships who used to be a Saleen dealership as well. In the meantime, thanks for the heads up about the Saleen Dark horse edition and also for Campbell Ford in Niles Michigan :waytogo:
Well hot damn I was finally able to contribute. Lol your welcome. I have heard about them screwing a lot of dealers/people over. Saleen really had a good thing going. The cars were not prefect but over all great looking and cool. To be honest I only found out about the Dark horse 3 years ago. Found it online while looking for ways to S/C my car and keep the CDC shaker. That's when I learned Saleen no longer existed.

Last edited:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Well hot damn I was finally able to contribute. Lol your welcome. I have heard about them screwing a lot of dealers/people over. Saleen really had a good thing going. The cars were not prefect but over all great looking and cool. To be honest I only found out about the Dark horse 3 years ago. Found it online while looking for ways to S/C my car and keep the CDC shaker. That's when I learned Saleen no longer existed.

You most definitely provided some very valuable info to say the very least and is much appreciated. Hopefully, parts for the older 2005-10 Saleen models will somehow remain available :shrug:

G8rGT

Reaction score
Just as an update as I was the guy curious and posted the original question, I ended up buying an ‘08 Shelby GT500 convertible. I’ve had it a couple days so far and couldn’t be happier. Thanks for the all the insight, advice, and opinions.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score

Despite 1 of 7 ever built, $92k MSRP is definitely over the top for a modified Mustang, regardless of being built by Saleen IMO. At any rate, I wish the original owner the best of luck in getting his $74.9k asking price :shrug:

Just as an update as I was the guy curious and posted the original question, I ended up buying an ‘08 Shelby GT500 convertible. I’ve had it a couple days so far and couldn’t be happier. Thanks for the all the insight, advice, and opinions.

I think you made a very smart choice with the 08 Shelby GT500 vert over Saleen. That being said, congrats :waytogo:

G8rGT

Reaction score
Despite 1 of 7 ever built, $92k MSRP is definitely over the top for a modified Mustang, regardless of being built by Saleen IMO. At any rate, I wish the original owner the best of luck in getting his $74.9k asking price :shrug:

Thanks!

I think you made a very smart choice with the 08 Shelby GT500 vert over Saleen. That being said, congrats :waytogo:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back