Wheel Spacers

Kipp07GT

Slug Box
Reaction score
Hey everyone. So recently I purchased a set of 20x10 Downforce 5 wheels. I have been wanting to run a square setup so I can stop buying only two tires at a time. Problem is I have the 14' Brembos up front and I already know they will not clear. I think after searching on here someone stated that a 12mm spacer will clear it. Now my question. What is the best route to go. Regular spacer with extended ARP studs or buy the spacers that bolt on and you use the pressed in studs? Nothing really comes in a 12mm spacer so it looks like a 15mm is the only option. I am hoping these do not push the wheel out to far. I am on air ride so I would like to still tuck the front wheels in. I will be running a 275/35/20 up front. Possibly going to a 30 series depending on if it clears or not. Any opinions on this? I would have liked to have found a pair of 20x8.5 but they seem to no longer be made and if they are I have gloss black and that is no longer available. Thanks for any advice.

travelers

Reaction score
You could always have a machine shop machine the 15mms down to 12mm if need be and will still clear.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Have you actually test-fit the new wheels on the front?
What offset are they?
I had 20x10 Niche wheels with 40mm on the front of my '13 Track Pack and they cleared the Brembos just fine.

Last edited:

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Allstar makes a 12mm spacer, high quality and very reasonable price. ARP 3in studs were stupid expensive for what you get 66.00 per wheel for studs and 12.95 per spacer. I believe someone one said that the rear is 1" wider then the front in another thread. Someone else could maybe confirm that. With all that said tou should only need fronts spacers and studs. I put 12mm front/back with 3" studs that I shorten slightly. My set up sticks out in the back more than I like. I can post the part numbers shortly for front/back studs (different) spacer part number.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kipp07GT

Slug Box
Reaction score
Have you actually test-fit the new wheels on the front?
What offset are they?
I had 20x10 Niche wheels with 40mm on the front of my '13 Track Pack and they cleared the Brembos just fine.

Hey Gabe. Yes I test fitted them last night. They are a 40mm offset. They hit the caliper big time. It took about a 1/2 in spacer (washers and a old spacer I had around) but they did stick out quite more than I like. I’m afraid when I air it out it’s gonna smash the fender. They looked great on the car but I’m not sure if spacing it out is the best. I may just put the factory brakes back on it to run these wheels. I would hate to undo all the work it took to put the brembos on. But a crushed fender would suck.

Kipp07GT

Slug Box
Reaction score
Allstar makes a 12mm spacer, high quality and very reasonable price. ARP 3in studs were stupid expensive for what you get 66.00 per wheel for studs and 12.95 per spacer. I believe someone one said that the rear is 1" wider then the front in another thread. Someone else could maybe confirm that. With all that said tou should only need fronts spacers and studs. I put 12mm front/back with 3" studs that I shorten slightly. My set up sticks out in the back more than I like. I can post the part numbers shortly for front/back studs (different) spacer part number.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes the ARP 3' studs are way over priced and I would only have to do the fronts thankfully. I am still up in the air on what to do. I really like Brembo setup and the wheels. I am thinking of buying some 12mm spacers and studs first to try out. See how they function before I go and take the Brembos back off. Here is some pics of the setup. Please excuse pillow. Tried to sit it down to see where the wheel would go but forgot I had air it out and the jack would not go any lower. Note to self next time put jack stand under car and jack wheel up. DOH!!!! This was the spaced out version that would clear the best without to much poke. I am not sure how bad its truly gonna look until I get the tires mounted. Opinions and thoughts?
Ps1SY19.jpg
2s2PVtD.jpg

qc5Bb95.jpg

travelers

Reaction score
If you take the Brembos off you'll really feel a difference, and want them back on. I would only get wheels that clear the Brembos. Also if you go with the ARPs studs you will have to use open lug nuts. That's what I had to do with mine.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Replace your oem junk strut mounts with these. https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-upper-strut-mounts-555-8135.html#tab-2
Now you can easily dial in a bunch of camber. I use the same ones ( their other model, made for the 05-10 cars). They work superb. Max out the camber. Then what you end up with is the top of the tires will be neatly tucked inside the wheel well..... while the bottom will be further outboard. Without em, mine would resemble yours....(looking at your very last pix, taken from above). I'm running 285-40-18 on 18 x 10 rims, with a 45MM ET..and also a 3mm spacer, so my effective offset is just 42mm. I only have oem brakes however.

The car will handle a helluva lot better with some camber dialed in. Then you can also set each side to be identical camber. And no, you won't wear the insides of either front tire, with the camber maxed out, using the above steeda strut mount. Note, there is no caster adjustment on the above steeda unit, not required for street use..and most track applications. The car already has loads of caster as is. All you have to do is set the camber to max, or near max, and get the alignment guy to tweak the toe on each side, your problem solved.

Kipp07GT

Slug Box
Reaction score
Replace your oem junk strut mounts with these. https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-upper-strut-mounts-555-8135.html#tab-2
Now you can easily dial in a bunch of camber. I use the same ones ( their other model, made for the 05-10 cars). They work superb. Max out the camber. Then what you end up with is the top of the tires will be neatly tucked inside the wheel well..... while the bottom will be further outboard. Without em, mine would resemble yours....(looking at your very last pix, taken from above). I'm running 285-40-18 on 18 x 10 rims, with a 45MM ET..and also a 3mm spacer, so my effective offset is just 42mm. I only have oem brakes however.

The car will handle a helluva lot better with some camber dialed in. Then you can also set each side to be identical camber. And no, you won't wear the insides of either front tire, with the camber maxed out, using the above steeda strut mount. Note, there is no caster adjustment on the above steeda unit, not required for street use..and most track applications. The car already has loads of caster as is. All you have to do is set the camber to max, or near max, and get the alignment guy to tweak the toe on each side, your problem solved.

I am on air ride so it has built in camber caster plates on them. I have yet to play with it yet. I’m thinking if I run a slight bit of camber when I air it out the wheels will go in and clear the fenders. But at ride height they will be within some factory specs.

Kipp07GT

Slug Box
Reaction score
If you take the Brembos off you'll really feel a difference, and want them back on. I would only get wheels that clear the Brembos. Also if you go with the ARPs studs you will have to use open lug nuts. That's what I had to do with mine.

I agree and do not want to take off the brembos. I am not to worried about running open end lug nuts. I just wish they still made this wheel. It has been discontinued and the only 20x8.5 wheels I can find in the DF5's are not the same color so I would have to have them paint matched which adds to the bill. But if all else fails I can sell this package and just save up to buy the wheels I really want. These I just got for such a good deal new it was hard to pass up. Until I remembered they do not clear these brembos.

Kipp07GT

Slug Box
Reaction score
Good looking wheels but I would not sacrifice brakes for wheels.

Yeah I can agree to that. I only put the brembos on because I got such a deal on them. This was a Non Brembo track pack car. I had to repaint them and do some work but for the price I could not say no. But I fucked up the paint when I test fitted the wheels so I may have to do some touch ups here soon.

Kipp07GT

Slug Box
Reaction score
This is how the car sits now with the AMR wheels on it. This is all the way aired out and the car is sitting on the front tires and back bump stops.
yiyiL2h.jpg

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score

You don't need to go to an open lug nut at all. Use Gorilla racing lug nuts and they will fit the entire stud.

Here's a pic with one ARP stud visible and four Gorilla closed end extended length lug nuts...
i-dH7fq3r-X3.jpg

And with one Gorilla open end extended length lug nut...
i-ThWDrhq-X3.jpg

I originally bought the open end thinking the studs would protrude and once mounted, realized I could order the closed end and the wheel would look "finished" as opposed to "racecar".

Kipp07GT

Slug Box
Reaction score
You don't need to go to an open lug nut at all. Use Gorilla racing lug nuts and they will fit the entire stud.

Here's a pic with one ARP stud visible and four Gorilla closed end extended length lug nuts...

I originally bought the open end thinking the studs would protrude and once mounted, realized I could order the closed end and the wheel would look "finished" as opposed to "racecar".

Thank you for this! I was looking around just now to see what lug nuts to run. This will help out nicely. I will start looking now at how much these will run me. The great thing is I do not daily drive my car so I get to take it out maybe once or twice a month. So I have plenty of time to work all these things in and test them out to see how it all ends up. Love the Forgestar wheels.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Yeah I can agree to that. I only put the brembos on because I got such a deal on them. [ B]This was a Non Brembo track pack car[/b]. I had to repaint them and do some work but for the price I could not say no. But I fucked up the paint when I test fitted the wheels so I may have to do some touch ups here soon.

No such thing as a Non Brembo Track Pack car.
The Track Pack was '13-'14 option and it included Brembo brakes

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
If you really want the five spoke look, search for a different wheel. I'm running 19x10 ET42 Forgestar CF5's square with 285/35-19's and they clear Brembo's with tons of room and no spacers needed. The barrel and spoke shape on their 20's is the same and will afford you even more clearance to the caliper.

Don't mind the dirty wheel and car...
i-DKRVZzP-X3.jpg

i-Kk5vDWD-X3.jpg

Kipp07GT

Slug Box
Reaction score
Sorry I should have stated this car was a base car that I added the Brembos too. Not that there was a non brembo track pack car. My wording was very wrong on that.

Kipp07GT

Slug Box
Reaction score
If you really want the five spoke look, search for a different wheel. I'm running 19x10 ET42 Forgestar CF5's square with 285/35-19's and they clear Brembo's with tons of room and no spacers needed. The barrel and spoke shape on their 20's is the same and will afford you even more clearance to the caliper.

Don't mind the dirty wheel and car...

I am starting to think of selling the setup I bought. I have less than $900 in the entire setup wheels and tires. So I could get my money back out of them and just save up more for another set. I like the Rovo Durbans but there a dime a dozen out there now but they do look good. I like the concave look on wheels. I used to be all about the lip on the wheels but I have moved way past that.

travelers

Reaction score

i-dH7fq3r-X3.jpg

i-ThWDrhq-X3.jpg

I just checked them out and also measured my wheels which are the Boss 302 with the 3" ARP studs and I would need a enclosed lug nut that is 2.25" in length. Gorilla only has 2.10" Are you using any spacers?

Now on my back studs which are Strange axles I could use them.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back