Where the heck is the dipstick tube hole in block?

Mojo88

Reaction score
2010 4.6L 3V..... After major work, trying to get the oil dipstick tube back into block. Is there a secret to locating or seeing the hole in the block? I remember the general area, but can't see it. Any tip or trick to find the hole?
dipstick1.jpg

Mojo88

Reaction score
Yeah, thanks, I know the general area is right there. But I can't see in there. I'm trying to use a mirror and light, or get myself into a position to see. Any idea?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
May have better luck from underneath. Once you find it then have somebody pass the dipstick tube down to you and you can guide it in.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Correct. Helps if the h-pipe is off too. From the bottom looking up you will see a boss on the block and the hole where the dipstick goes inserted.

Mojo88

Reaction score
May have better luck from underneath. Once you find it then have somebody pass the dipstick tube down to you and you can guide it in.
Ahh, great idea, thanks

Correct. Helps if the h-pipe is off too. From the bottom looking up you will see a boss on the block and the hole where the dipstick goes inserted.
Thanks, I'll look for that boss. I do have a lift, but right now the car is on the open floor, so I don't want to mess with exhaust. I will look for that boss and see what happens.

Last edited:

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
Sorry you're having this trouble. The only pic I had that is remotely close is from the bbk header instructions -
1696115662150.png
Hope this helps.

Removing the tube was a PITA, and reinstalling was almost as bad.

Laga

Reaction score
You can get a new tube in there but it’s a pain. I worked from the bottom and my wife fed it in from the top. The hardest part is getting it completely seated.

Mojo88

Reaction score
@Laga - Oh yeah, I spent a fair amount of time trying (unsuccessfully) to do it on the floor, with car just jacked a little bit. But even with multiple stands and jacks, I always HATE crawling underneath the car, I am paranoid about the car crashing down on me, it's gotta be a miserable way to die.

I am gonna get it running (soon, I hope) and quickly drive it over to the next stall, which is where my 4-post lift is, and I'll get the car safely up in the air, so I can reach everything. Hoping to have better luck then. It sure is a PITA.

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
My auto shop teacher taught us that once you have the car on jack stands and everyone is in the clear, give the car a good pull or shove. If the car moves on the jack stands, you better reset them until the car doesn't move. If the doesn't move, than you can be confident that it's not going to fall.

Mojo88

Reaction score
My auto shop teacher taught us that once you have the car on jack stands and everyone is in the clear, give the car a good pull or shove. If the car moves on the jack stands, you better reset them until the car doesn't move. If the doesn't move, than you can be confident that it's not going to fall.
If I have the car on jack stands and one of the stands is a little bit off-position, and then I shove the car, the car could rock and fall right off the jack stand, causing a lot of damage underneath. But yeah, better to damage the vehicle than yourself. I've read numerous horror stories about guys getting killed and/or stuck beneath a vehicle, sometimes dying slow, painful deaths. Scary stuff.

I always use at least two methods of support, and typically THREE if I have to crawl way under the car and no one is around. Nowadays I feel much safer under my sturdy 4-post lift, which I've had for ~10 years. But even on the lift, you gotta use plenty of care and common sense.

Mojo88

Reaction score
Just to close out this thread, I wanted to say that I did eventually find a way to get direct sight of the dipstick hole in the block. It was a restricted angle, looking down by the end of the master cylinder. Once I had the hole in view, I immediately noticed that I had the dipstick going between the wrong header pipes. I moved the dipstick tube over into another opening between the headers (the correct one this time), and I got the tube fully seated into the hole in about 30 seconds. It was a piece of cake.... but this was after annoying myself for a solid hour, lol.

Got her all back together and running, with a fully functioning dipstick!
engine50.jpg

Last edited:

JC SSP

Reaction score
Besides the jack stands, and floor jack... I like to shove one of the rims & tires under the car too.

Good to hear you found the hole. LOL ;)

Mojo88

Reaction score
Yep, that's the three methods I use right there ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Just to close out this thread, I wanted to say that I did eventually find a way to get direct sight of the dipstick hole in the block. It was a restricted angle, looking down by the end of the master cylinder. Once I had the hole in view, I immediately noticed that I had the dipstick going between the wrong header pipes. I moved the dipstick tube over into another opening between the headers (the correct one this time), and I got the tube fully seated into the hole in about 30 seconds. It was a piece of cake.... but this was after annoying myself for a solid hour, lol.

Got her all back together and running, with a fully functioning dipstick!
View attachment 90446
Excellent! Glad you got her resolved & running!

:beer:

Laga

Reaction score
I used to put the front tires in a set of Rhino Ramps, and then jack up rear end and put jack stands under jacking points to work underneath car.
Rhino ramps have a tendency to slide when driving a car on them. One side moved a little bit, without me noticing, and the front tire was not seated on it correctly.
When using a floor jack, the pad does not go straight up, it goes up in an arc. As it gets to maximum height, the pad is actually moving backwards horizontally. The jack usually rolls to follow this motion. This time, there was a small pebble on the floor that prevented the jack from moving. This resulted in the car being pulled backwards since I was jacking from the rear of the car. It pulled it back enough so the one side that wasn’t centered on ramp, started to roll off of ramp. As I was laying next to car to position jack stand, the car came rolling off ramp, twisted floor jack and fell off of it. I was not hurt, but shit was scared out of me.
I now have homemade ramps which do not move, and a dedicated stick that I wedge between front seat and brake pedal to lock up front wheels as long as needed while jacking up the rear.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back