Who has narrowed a set of stock wheels?

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Seen a few threads concerning this and was wondering if anyone has a picture of a stock Bullit wheel narrowed to 4 1/2" or 5 1/2". I'm thinking this might be the way I want to go with the car since I will be doing the Cervini M1 kit after Orlando. Figured I would go with the American Racing Shelby Torq-Thrust M rear wheels in Anthracite (17x9 with 6 3/4" back spacing)with M&H 325/45-17 DR's. For the front I could go stock Bullit Anthracite narrowed to 4.5" with M&H 4.5/26.0-17 D.O.T. front runners.

Together with the M1 kit I figure this will be a pretty unique look for the car. The wheels are not as light as true drag wheels but that is not a major concern for me right now. This should give the car a real '69 Mach I throwback look and allow me to have two sets of tires for the car....one for street and one for track. For those that might ask why not widen a stock set of wheels.....widening is $200 per wheel and I can buy the A/R Shelby's for $190 each.

Soooo.....back to the original question: anybody got a pic of a narrowed stock wheel?

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i contacted Weldcraft wheels about this same thing, they needed to see a picture of the wheel with no tire and a tape measure from one side to the other to tell me if the can narrow it to 4.5" but i do not have a set of stock wheels to do it and do not want to but one just to take a picture and them not be able to do it.

so if you can do that and contact them to e mail it and let me know, if you have one with out a tire on it

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
Been there, don't regret it, but realistically not cost effective.

It's very cool because it gives you a great sleeper effect but it's not cheap.

Because of the taper in the the stock rim, Weldcraft can only cut your stock 17" bullets down to 6".

I had mine done for 150.00 each.

The next problem is finding a tire that will work. The perfect tire does not exist as of now but I'm running 215/55/17's.

It's the best comprimise for height and width for my set-up.

I tried the M&H 185/55/17 drag radials on this narrowed rim but it's too short and looks horrible.

Once you buy the M&H 185's they are practically impossible to get rid of. At 300.00 bucks for the pair it was a tough experiment. (I still have them if anybody has a hard time getting there roller skates to hook)

The attached picture shows the 215's on the narrowed rims.

The good: Lose six pounds per side as well as loss of drag. Cool sleeper factor.

The bad: Rims cut 300.00 + shipping + 98.00 each for the 215's equals big dollars for minimal gain.

Last edited:

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
Pssssst.....Yokohama Avid TRZ
I like the 215/65R17...

Those were my second choice.
My reasoning:

M&H 275/50/17 DR's are closer to 27.5 on the stock bullets, especially after numerous burnouts.

215/65's are 28". Front end would sit a little higher, not a big deal and even helpful for weight transfer but would be noticeable. I went for steathy as well as functional. 55's are 26.5 with 45lbs of air.
My front end sits high with stock springs and all the weight that I have removed/swaybar delete, 15lb odyssey battery, misc items. plus Roush lowering springs in the back.

215/65 + 215/55 are the same width.

The final reason, the 55's weigh less

I think the perfect tire for this set-up would be a 195/65/17, however I have not found those to exist.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back