Why are you sticking with your S197?

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
First and foremost I always wanted a mustang, after I got married in 2011 the first big purchase my Wife and I made together is order a Mustang in June 2012. Ordered the new 2013 GT way I wanted it. Drive it once a year from NJ to Flordia on a vacation and gets us 25-27 on the highway. Its a good car, i have owned a brand new Pontaic G6 GTP and had nothing but problems with it. This car is trouble free so see no reason to get rid of it for a new car with a new payment.

I will say the new 2018 GT performance numbers are jaw dropping, even with my bolt ons it can't beat one it looks like. But 50K + for a mustang GT is a lot of cash for one with a few options on it

Last edited:

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
Because I don't have to drive it every day.
No real point in driving even a 400 Hp stang in the rain.
Now at 700 HP, hard to keep it planted even in the dry.

Would cost me 20-25K I bet to get into an 18(over my 14), so
for almost the same money I picked up a left over
Fusion Sport for $27K. Nice ride quality, AWD, 4Dr bland
styling stealth from cops, don't really care about it, so it it gets hit
or even stolen, not that big of a loss.

fourdegrees11

forum member
Reaction score
If anything I've looked at Boss and GT500 options more then a new one, but I would rather just spend the extra money on mods. But yeah I'm just not into the idea of having another car loan since my 12 is paid off. My wife has her 2016 v6 S550, and then we have a "family" car. The only thing making this whole arraignment reasonable for me is that my 12 is paid off.

Besides that, I like the look of the 10-12 body style above all else. The performance is still great. and of course the ability to mod these cars however you want is huge. It's really just me living out my childhood fantasies about building/customizing a badass muscle car, and actually being in a position to do it.

There's always something new coming out. Everyone's situation and reasoning is always going to be different :shrug:

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
I only drive it on weekends so having something with a payment just wouldn’t make sense. Aside from the rational side it hits that perfect middle ground of old-school feel but modern enough to be reliable, it’s cheap for parts/maintenance and I can do it all myself..

Lastly, sort of trivial point, since I wasn’t born in America I wanted an American car, since the new Mustangs are now global cars they’re just not the same to me..

rjyote

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 14 GT with 24K on it (paid off). 40 more HP/30 ft-lbs doesn't impress me. The S550 is not a good looking car. Same thing I thought about the SN95, but those grew on me and I bought one new in 96. The S550 still looks terrible IMO. The IRS is nice, but not for that price. Built one on Ford's site just for the hell of it. Base GT with no options $39,500 before TTL. Ridiculous.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
No real point in driving even a 400 Hp stang in the rain.

Not that big of a deal. :) I drive in the rain at HPDE's. I ran 3 min 17 sec laps in the rain at WGI last June. With the car in sig. And its my daily..

I sure hope we don't get much snow around here this winter... Guess a report on how Zeon RS3-As work in snow may be in my future? lmao

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
12096356_10208092228647862_6010128011786897394_n.jpg

Sexy bitch...
Do I need to say more?

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
12096356_10208092228647862_6010128011786897394_n.jpg

Sexy bitch...
Do I need to say more?

LOL! I do have to say that I very much prefer the s197 body style over the s550's. As stated above sometimes it takes a while for a new body style to grow on you, but it still hasn't happened with me and the s550. As for my situation, I have way too much into my 05 to start over now, and I don't care how fast the new ones are!

groundpounder

forum member
Reaction score
I love the 05-09 cars. I have made my 07 my own using my own two hands. To me it's worth a lot more than KBB or Edmunds says. It's paid off, parts are easy to find and reasonably priced, and I like it. If I want 600 hp I can build a nice new motor and drop a DOB kit on it for waaayyyy less than buying an 2018.

In general I think vehicle prices have gotten to the insanity level. A simple F150 is outrageous. You get a totally a bone stock Super Crew XL for $35k! F'in ridiculous! A 5.0 10-spd 4x4 XLT is $44k! Outta their mind!

To get my car now would cost me $42k+! I bought my 2007 from Carmax in 2009 with 1,800 miles for $21k.

wht67

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was really wanting to get a used '15 GT premium and my wife even took me to a dealership to test drive one. I sat in it and was completely turned off. The seat was completely unusable for me. The side bolsters cut into my back and it was painful to sit in it. I was SO disappointed. I really like the styling and the engine can stand up to more power than I can realistically use but if I can't stand the seats its pointless to get one.

Now I am torn between keeping my current car and finally putting the forged short block I have in it or getting a 2011 or 2012 GT500 (can't afford a '13 or '14!)

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have to say I feel really attached to this car. Yeah it's not perfect, but everyone knows me by my car, I love how it feels and drives, and it still gets compliments all the time. I've had it for 6 years, it's paid for and it's a toy really- I need a newer truck more than I need a newer Mustang, so for now I'm sticking with it. It feels like my little hot rod and not a lot of people have something like that.

Someday I may move up to an S550...I'm still undecided on them. I love the ass end but the rest of the car doesn't really wow me styling-wise.

I am planning on upgrading to a 2015 F150 this spring though (once I sell my Ranger). I'll get to have a 5.0 in something anyway :)

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
LOL! I do have to say that I very much prefer the s197 body style over the s550's. As stated above sometimes it takes a while for a new body style to grow on you, but it still hasn't happened with me and the s550. As for my situation, I have way too much into my 05 to start over now, and I don't care how fast the new ones are!

I don't think anyone with a 9 second Mustang (with the best body style) should care what any new mustang runs.
I agree, I thought they would grow on me too kind of like the 2010 & 2013 body did after a while... but the S550's never touched me in that way and the 2018 is moving further away from my preferences. All my opinion of course, it's not an ugly car just doesn't scream muscle/mustang to me anymore.

The only thing I can deal with on the new cars is the rear end.
:ryu:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The 07-09 Shelbys seem to hold their value well, to the point where it's cheaper to get a 2011-13 GT with similar miles. Or maybe Mustang GTs just depreciate quickly by nature, depending on how you look at it.

Basic supply v demand. Low production supercharged 5.4 v common 5.0 GT. As nice as the GT coyotes are they are not anything special like the GT500.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
The 07-09 Shelbys seem to hold their value well, to the point where it's cheaper to get a 2011-13 GT with similar miles. Or maybe Mustang GTs just depreciate quickly by nature, depending on how you look at it.

Yes, but the GT500's come forged, strong/reliable 6-speed, and decent suspension compared stock for stock against a GT. Tons of potential in the 5.4 4v, too. A factory TVS swap It's not as trick as the coyote 4v TiVCT, but it's straight forward brutal.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
im poor.

but really, the 06 is paid off.

but its mostly because im poor.
i really really hate the idea of car financing. also my credit score is total ass so id be looking at like 9% interest on a 50k dollar car no way in hell.
i can put 10k cash into the 06 make it faster and louder than any brand new stang thats 50k, simple for me

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's paid off, I've sunk too much money into it already, new cars suck, and I still like it. I'll drive it into the ground, though at the rate I drive it, I'll probably be in the ground before it.

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
Would cost me 20-25K I bet to get into an 18(over my 14), so
for almost the same money I picked up a left over
Fusion Sport for $27K. Nice ride quality, AWD, 4Dr bland
styling stealth from cops, don't really care about it, so it it gets hit
or even stolen, not that big of a loss.

I'm right there with you, Ox! I did the exact same math last summer! I ended up with a '17 WRX, mostly because I didn't need the bigger Fusion. In any case, the Subaru's main function is to keep my Mustang and my Mopar out of the road salt. I have days where I doubt this decision because a small/turbo AWD car is occasionally miserable to drive when you're spoiled by a V8...but it handles well and gets almost 30mpg mixed.

This marked the point where I officially decided to stick with my S197 gave up on waiting for the S550 to win me over.

Basic supply v demand. Low production supercharged 5.4 v common 5.0 GT. As nice as the GT coyotes are they are not anything special like the GT500.

I totally agree here. While a GT500 up until '11 is not even that much quicker than my tuned 5.0L (and definitely slower than an '18 GT/Auto) those cars have a presence on the road that a regular production Mustang will never have. And of course, the potential in that 5.4L (without ever touching the rotating assembly) is not to be underestimated. That's a wicked motor. Dodge Demon power levels are well within reach.

It's paid off, I've sunk too much money into it already, new cars suck, and I still like it. I'll drive it into the ground, though at the rate I drive it, I'll probably be in the ground before it.

LOL! I hope not.
But if so, can I have first dibs on your wheels? I completely love those and I've never seen them anywhere except on the Dan Gurney special edition cars!

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Someone should go over to S550forum.com and ask why those guys got rid of their S197!

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Unlike most here, my Bullitt is not paid off, but that's not the reason I'm hangin on to it. I love this car. A little over 2 years since I bought it, and I still smile walkin up to it in the morning and almost aways, turn around to look at it one more time when walkin into work or the store. I love the way a 3v sounds. I love the styling. Reminds me of the first Mustang I ever rode in, a '65 Fastback, that sucked the change outta my pockets when my buddy's dad stomped the gas. The only other Mustang that comes close is a 07-09 GT500. The new Mustangs look like Fusions on steriods. Hard pass til they fix the front end styling but I don't see that ever happening.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back