Why are you sticking with your S197?

GTAmuscle

forum member
Reaction score
I wish my 3 year old would get a job. The dude is a fucking bum.
Lol. I could assemble lamps and most coffee and end tables right about then. When Mom was super behind I would get $.50 per lamp and could bust out about 20 an hour. Way higher than minimum wage and no taxes!

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
I am about the same as everyone else. I see no reason to change. Cheap cheap fun vs 500 bucks a month.. Also, i love the sound of the 3v. Dont want a coyote. :(

ilmor

Reaction score
My 2007 Shelby GT has a little over 15K miles on it now and its still like new. I love it as much as the first day I bought it. I have no desire to let it go. Plus, I've never liked the looks of the current-gen Mustang so that makes it especially easy. Finally, all the horsepower in the world doesn't matter since I wouldn't be driving the car any quicker that I'm driving my current one LOL!

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
My 2007 Shelby GT has a little over 15K miles on it now and its still like new. I love it as much as the first day I bought it. I have no desire to let it go. Plus, I've never liked the looks of the current-gen Mustang so that makes it especially easy. Finally, all the horsepower in the world doesn't matter since I wouldn't be driving the car any quicker that I'm driving my current one LOL!
WTF, Why aren't you driving your car!?

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
I like the 2018s a lot, but not "give up my Mustang AND pay $450/mo for the next five years" a lot.

stevbd

forum member
Reaction score
Glass roof, lighter, fast enough, reliable, paid for.

I love my Mustang but $50K is a tough neighborhood with a lot of very compelling used options.

That said that 2018 PP2 looks like the real deal, awesome looking car.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
For DD use, a new 2018 is one helluva lot of $$. Then factor in any mods you do to a 2018, like new wheels, wider rubber, stronger half shafts, etc, etc. Then watch your new 2018 depreciate like a rock over the next 3 years.

Take how much $ you have invested into your S197, then divide by how many miles on the odometer. If you paid $40k for the car, and only have 20 k miles on it, each mile cost $2.00 With 40 k miles, it would be a $1.00 per mile, etc. One of the local fellows here in town had a new 2008 GT-500, with only 2850 miles on it..after 6 years ! He traded it in on a new 2014 GT-500. They gave him 60% of the original price on his 2008 trade in.

You may as well keep the S197.... run it into the ground, use it, put lotsa miles on it. It will be worth dick in 10 years anyway. That, and / or gas prices will increase over the next 10 years....and gas pig V8's will be outa vouge.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
any modifications to cars will be outlawed soon, having a car you can drive, outlawed, etc... insurance for the self driving folks will be $10/mo, for the people who want to drive, $1000/mo.

There are sure some cool mountain bikes out there, though. I hope I can stay healthy.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
any modifications to cars will be outlawed soon, having a car you can drive, outlawed, etc... insurance for the self driving folks will be $10/mo, for the people who want to drive, $1000/mo.

There are sure some cool mountain bikes out there, though. I hope I can stay healthy.

You are seriously underestimating the technological hurdles that need to be surmounted before full autonomy becomes ubiquitous.

spectreman

forum member
Reaction score
Since '88, I've owned an LX 5.0, a '98 GT, an '02 GT, an '08 Bullitt (possibly my fave of all), a '14 GT track pack and now my '09 GT500. Loved them all except my '98, gutless wonder that it was.

The Bullitt called to me- no nonsense, no flash, that DHG paint, those wheels. She was a hit w/me and just about every time I parked her, someone would approach and ask, "Is that a Bullitt?" I always enjoyed driving that car. Wasn't the fastest but man, she made my heart sing. And then she got hit 3x & I swore that car was cursed.

When the S550's were released I railed out loud because to my eye, they looked like a Fusion & BMW had sex and this was their ugly child. My wife told me to buy the '14 before they were gone and I was lucky to find the one I had.

But that damn car, despite its superiority in every category- performance, build quality, comfort, etc.- just never sang to me, even w/proper bolt-on mods. Ergo the return back to the first 1/2 of the S197 gen into the '09 GT500, a car I had lusted after for oh so long.

The '05-09 gen reminded me of 'days gone by' Stangs- the blockish shape w/the squared off fenders, the square capped rear end. It just screamed old school muscle car. And I've yet to hear a better sounding motor than the 4.6 liter- far better grumble than the 5.0.

I'm just about done w/the mods to my GT500 and couldn't be more pleased w/her. Looks she's got, and performance a-plenty. I figure I'll hang onto this one for a while. If need be, I would consider moving up to later model GT500 but I'll also admit that the '18 GT w/the powerpack II has caught my eye.

Yeah, I know it's an S550 but I think it's finally gotten to the point, w/the new styling front & rear, that I'm kinda sorta ok w/it. The powerpack II set-up eliminates the needs for mods, ever... Ok, maybe a few but they would be really few.

Like the rest of you, I'd be hard pressed to spend $60g's on it tho, especially w/all the low mileage deals out there to be had on the 12-13 Boss versions and 13-14 GT500's.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Ergo the return back to the first 1/2 of the S197 gen into the '09 GT500, a car I had lusted after for oh so long.. And I've yet to hear a better sounding motor than the 4.6 liter- far better grumble than the 5.0.

So I suppose this can also be interpreted in your opinion as meaning their is no better sounding motor over the 4.6 liter, including the 5.4 liter you have in your current '09 GT500 :jester:

spectreman

forum member
Reaction score
No- to my ear, the 4.6 trumps them all. The 5.4 is a converted truck motor. W/the proper exhaust & s/c, it sounds pretty damn good but my Bullitt's motor sounded better, IMHO.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Only 2 things I don't like regarding the sound of the 4.6 3v.. IMHO, they produce horrible drone along with having a really bad raspy pitch compared to the previous SN-95 4.6 2v-4v.. However with the right type of exhaust, I totally agree where your coming from..

Also the 5.4 liter 4v motors for the 07-10 Shelby GT500 were based off the 5.4 liter 4v motors designed for the 2005-06 Ford GT, they're not a converted 5.4L 3v truck motor.. The 5.4 3v truck motors were modified versions based off the 4.6 liter 3v design.. Therefore the design between the GT500 5.4 liter 4v and 5.4L 3v truck motors are not one in the same..

Last edited:

Thereaper

forum member
Reaction score

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
They can't drive defensively and that will make for a scary ride.
I promise that truck can track more of it's environment and much further out than you can on your best day. It's just the software algorithm that will need developing, the more they test them by putting them on the road, the faster that data acquisition will occur.
Couple that with the fact that they would eventually be plugged into emergency and traffic systems so they will likely know what's going on 100 miles ahead just to ice the cake.

Bullittatty

Reaction score
I have a 2008 bullitt with 190k miles. It has its issues but I know where all the controls are in the dark. I love the green color and the way it sounds when it starts up and when the revs get up there. Plus being paid for is a plus.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back