Why are you sticking with your S197?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The FRS needs a Kenne Bell type supercharger IMO. Needs MOAR TORQ!!!!

So I looked and Edelbrock has what the car needs. Car only weighs about 2800 lbs. 242 whp is roughly 285hp at the crank. That power would be good for high 12's at 105ish.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/superchargers/fa20.shtml

1556.jpg

Last edited:

Gh0stRep0rt

forum member
Reaction score
[emoji848] well...my s197 have a build bottom end for boost, seating down under 150k miles. payed off. all i got to do is to choose between s/c or t/c. sure the new s550 5.0 and the gt350 are a beast but still n/a and other competition are above the S550 hp/tq

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eolson

Reaction score
I would love to get a new car!!! Like the Challeger Hellcat or the Demon!! Or maybe just a new Mustang... Hell maybe even a Corvette!! Seems like most modded Mustang guys are getting Corvettes or Vipers these days.

Anyway, if it wasn't because I spent over $85K on my S197, I would be driving a newer car/Mustang... But I am stuck with my S197...the best I could sell it for would be maybe $25K. Would hurt so much to give it away after all the money, hours, tears, stress, and blood I put into that car.

So, I am stuck with my S197 till death do us part....or some act of nature takes her out and I cash in on the insurance... lol
But I do have to admit, I love the body style and I still get people giving me thumbs up and wanting to talk about the car. It's still one pretty fast car...just lacks the finesse of the new ones.

Ride%20n%20Drive%202017_zps2esxmik0.jpg
AutoXRacer. What type of supercharger is in your Roush Stage 3 that can give you 633rwhp with 13 lbs??? Not the stock Roush charger in 08. What is in it now?? Thanks, Erik

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
yeah... but alex (puke) and bob both have their own agendas. I just watch the videos of the cars apparently driving themselves and the accident reports, which as far as I know aren't fake. They're doing much better than human drivers, what more do you want?
What more do I want? A collection of citizens that isn't so willing to sacrifice freedom for safety and public health. The safety nazis will suck a lot of fun out of life eventually. I hope that Alex guy is right and it takes long enough that I'll be dead before being forced off the road by whatever laws end up getting passed.

Not against self driving cars. Mandatory self driving cars yes. My ideal situation would be to have support for self drive but the ability to drive the car myself when I want. Unfortunately in the long run I think even that sort of capability will be removed. It will be "minority report" style transportation in the somewhat distant future. If you remember the movie.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
You can still drive your own car, insurance will be $1000/mo...

testcase

Reaction score
Because it's the best looking Mustang since 69-70 IMHO. I loved the retro styling the minute I laid eyes on it, the 3v is respnsive to mods, in fact to the point I am neverous about driving mine in the rain.
It's balanced, handles good...If I spent 60K to get a new one, somebody will have a faster one anyway.
Instead I can get a classic muscle car that is appreciating... for less
Here's what I found out in years of drag racing, and street racing, and I suspect it's true in all forms of motor sports. There is ALWAYS someone faster, more money, more talent, newer gear.

ChewyR

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 600hp supercharged convertible with the best styling since 1969. I don't drive it daily. It would be hard to justify 50-60 K to buy an equivalent weekend car.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Like I said, you guys are seriously underestimating the technological challenges.

Currently, all completely self-driving cars need to have a high-resolution, 3D map of the town they're driving in. That's why all of Waymo's cars have a entire damn server farm in the trunk. Heck, a simple road construction lane closure requires re-mapping of a street. You could not take that Waymo car and put it in rural Kentucky and make it drive itself. It won't work.

The amount of data acquisition required to scan 100% of the country's roads and keep those maps up to date is nigh impossible. Until the technology is at a point where it can be placed in any road, in any weather condition, and figure out where it is, where it needs to go, and still respond to pedestrians and other obstacles, we are nowhere near being forced to drive autonomous vehicles.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
I was disappointed with the sound of my Bullitt when I first bought it. I thought maybe I shoulda got the 5.0. Then I opened up the exhaust with a set of Pypes and was and continue to be in love with the sound.

Reaction score
I am keeping my 2007 GT Convertible, it is a beautiful car. Plus it reminds me of the mustangs from the 1960's which I remember very well as a kid. Before I even knew I was going to own a S197 I had seen them on the road when they first came out, and I was attracted to that style. I had even pointed out to my wife that they looked like the Mustangs of the late 60's and to me to have 300hp was a nice amount. I love the feel of the suspension, it corners like it is on rails, the ergonomics of the seats is wonderful. I drove my car from florida where I bought it, traveling 1440 miles in 2 days, spent 6hrs the first day traveling 500 miles, then the 2nd day 900 miles. When I got home I walked in and asked my girls if they wanted to go for a ride, I was not tired of sitting in that seat, no aches, no stiffness. The looks of the car are perfect and I am totally content. Sure there are newer mustangs with greater Horsepower, but this one is just setup right for me, enough speed to give me a giddy feeling, but not too much that scares me :) I love the 5 speed tranny, and around town I average 21 to 22 mpg, and then on the interstate at 65mph I average around 26mpg, and that is with 3.55:1 gears. Plus the color of the car is the nostalgic Windveil Metallic Blue from the 1960's, its a beautiful color, and is the same color as my 1966 Mustang coupe I use to own. So to me this is a retro "Mustang" Reborn from the '60s

RedGt

Reaction score
My Mustang is in winter storage now in my garage next to the house. I see it every morning and night. Every time when I walk by I think yeah, you look good from every angle.The body style is perfect.Its a keeper for me.Here in Europe its a rare car.But everybody here young and old recognizes what car it is.Its a 2006 GT with 31k miles on it, I lowered it GT500kr mufflers and Shelby GT wheels.Looks great,sounds great (placed mid mufflers also, without it its loud)

RedGT

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
yeah... but alex (puke) and bob both have their own agendas. I just watch the videos of the cars apparently driving themselves and the accident reports, which as far as I know aren't fake. They're doing much better than human drivers, what more do you want?

I WANT TO DRIVE. lol.. THAT IS WHAT. :)

rjyote

forum member
Reaction score
Last edited:

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Like I said, you guys are seriously underestimating the technological challenges.

Currently, all completely self-driving cars need to have a high-resolution, 3D map of the town they're driving in. That's why all of Waymo's cars have a entire damn server farm in the trunk. Heck, a simple road construction lane closure requires re-mapping of a street. You could not take that Waymo car and put it in rural Kentucky and make it drive itself. It won't work.

The amount of data acquisition required to scan 100% of the country's roads and keep those maps up to date is nigh impossible. Until the technology is at a point where it can be placed in any road, in any weather condition, and figure out where it is, where it needs to go, and still respond to pedestrians and other obstacles, we are nowhere near being forced to drive autonomous vehicles.
They're doing it wrong, they have rigs that are capable of extreme off-road driving with no human input, Top Gear showed us that a few years ago.
Eventually they will use basic GPS input and various sensor data, das it.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They're doing it wrong, they have rigs that are capable of extreme off-road driving with no human input, Top Gear showed us that a few years ago.
Eventually they will use basic GPS input and various sensor data, das it.

They will get to the point where they rely on immediate area around the vehicle data accusation. They will not need GPS or maps to follow because the sensor arrays will become so advanced they will determine where the road is, what's in it, what the weather conditions are, what traction is available and adjust hundreds of times a second. They will communicate with other vehicles doing the same and gain forward/rearward/sideward vision.

The first place the technology will be reliably usable is on the highway. Cars will stay in their lane, travel in close packs to enhance fuel economy at speeds not possible with human control. They will brake and accelerate as a group. They will predict collisions and avoid them. Many, many drivers will love it. They will be able to just go along for the ride. Eight hours on the highway without having to actually drive? It will be like riding a personal rail car. It will minimize wasted time and fuel. Safety will be improved and allow for increased speeds over long distances.

Will it happen in the next few years? Probably not. But 10-15 years? Maybe. Cars are already rolling on the roads with lane keeper tech. Lincoln has a very advanced lane maintenance technology. Mercedes and others have cars that have adaptive cruise control and they will break on their own without driver input to avoid collisions. The tech isn't totally here yet, but the foundation is being built and the time is coming when all the pieces of the puzzle will fit together and we will have self driving cars. There are/will times when it will make sense to use such technology, like on highways as I mentioned.

I think there will be push back from drivers to using this tech on surface streets and country roads. But highways will become high speed automated corridors.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
They will get to the point where they rely on immediate area around the vehicle data accusation. They will not need GPS or maps to follow because the sensor arrays will become so advanced they will determine where the road is, what's in it, what the weather conditions are, what traction is available and adjust hundreds of times a second. They will communicate with other vehicles doing the same and gain forward/rearward/sideward vision.

The first place the technology will be reliably usable is on the highway. Cars will stay in their lane, travel in close packs to enhance fuel economy at speeds not possible with human control. They will brake and accelerate as a group. They will predict collisions and avoid them. Many, many drivers will love it. They will be able to just go along for the ride. Eight hours on the highway without having to actually drive? It will be like riding a personal rail car. It will minimize wasted time and fuel. Safety will be improved and allow for increased speeds over long distances.

Will it happen in the next few years? Probably not. But 10-15 years? Maybe. Cars are already rolling on the roads with lane keeper tech. Lincoln has a very advanced lane maintenance technology. Mercedes and others have cars that have adaptive cruise control and they will break on their own without driver input to avoid collisions. The tech isn't totally here yet, but the foundation is being built and the time is coming when all the pieces of the puzzle will fit together and we will have self driving cars. There are/will times when it will make sense to use such technology, like on highways as I mentioned.

I think there will be push back from drivers to using this tech on surface streets and country roads. But highways will become high speed automated corridors.
I just mean the GPS maps for route planning and ETA data, not so much that it would be critical to autonomous driving.
I would use the feature on a highway, I hate long distance driving, especially at night but I like being in control of my time/route, which driving vs flying or mass transit gives you. The highway is way scarier than driving around town, unless you're on a bike, then it's just tense all round as cagers try to kill you, lol.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was just building off what you said. I would also love it on the highway...sometimes. I enjoy driving. I grew up in cars on the road. As a kid 6-8 hour Sunday drives were quite common. My wife doesn't get it, but I can drive 10+ hours like she drives 45 minutes. Driving just doesn't bother me. But it does wear me out mentally when the traffic is heavy. I don't know for sure, but I suspect it is because I am processing all the stuff around me constantly.

The first night at the campsite after pulling my camper a few hundred miles I am wiped out. Hurling 12,000 lbs at 70 mph down the road safely with a 6 and 4 year old plus my wife and every other car around me is a responsibility that weighs on my mind every inch of the drive. If a tech could help me maintain my lane and my speed without sudden needs to slow down all that weight (better mpg's too), I would be on it like flies on stink.

fourdegrees11

forum member
Reaction score
Definitely agree about automated highway travel, and the stresses of driving in heavy traffic. I had the "EyeSight" (adaptive cruise, collision prevention) feature on my old Subaru Forester and it was absolutely awesome to use when I drove from Phoenix to Disneyland. It took a bit to feel like you could trust it, but it was great to just worry about steering the car. Even going up and down twisting mountain passes with the typical slow ass cars in the fast lane, it had no problem adjusting the speed while holding a set distance. I dont take road trips very often, but if I did, I would have to have a car with that feature.

Back