Why are you sticking with your S197?

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
I have been reading up on the '18 GT quite a bit lately.
For the first time since the '11 Coyote came out I am seriously considering buying a new GT.

Well, almost...everything looks appealing, but the price for a stripper model manual trans is $ 36K

While we have seen drag strips times for the A10 I have yet to see anyone post up times for the '18 6 spd. manual.
The car now has a dual clutch and 4th gear ratio is now 1:1.
I know they still have the same 15-17 shifter arrangement. I am just curious how the trans shifts at the track.

With that said, I think I will hold onto my s197s a bit longer...

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
I would love to get a new car!!! Like the Challeger Hellcat or the Demon!! Or maybe just a new Mustang... Hell maybe even a Corvette!! Seems like most modded Mustang guys are getting Corvettes or Vipers these days.

Anyway, if it wasn't because I spent over $85K on my S197, I would be driving a newer car/Mustang... But I am stuck with my S197...the best I could sell it for would be maybe $25K. Would hurt so much to give it away after all the money, hours, tears, stress, and blood I put into that car.

So, I am stuck with my S197 till death do us part....or some act of nature takes her out and I cash in on the insurance... lol
But I do have to admit, I love the body style and I still get people giving me thumbs up and wanting to talk about the car. It's still one pretty fast car...just lacks the finesse of the new ones.

Ride%20n%20Drive%202017_zps2esxmik0.jpg

Nice looking RS3 !

I have my eyes on a 2017 Roush Stg 3 with the 675 hp pkg.
It's the only Roush factory modified Stage 3 I have ever seen that does not have the Stg 3 exterior appearance package ( spoilers/stripes, etc)

2crttgn.jpg

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I meant Coyotes going 12s in stock form. I couldnt break into the 13s with my 3v when it was stock. Trap speed was at 99-100mph like clockwork at 1200-1500' DA.

It took me forever it felt like. I could rattle off 14.0-14.2's relatively easy. I finally cracked off a couple back to back 13.9xx's one cool night, dropping the rear tires down to 25psi and being 4th in line at the track that night after a test 'n tune, the VHT was so sticky I had to drop the clutch from 5k to clean them off, otherwise I about stalled the car when I tried dropping from 3k. Car had always trapped around 102-105mph. Not sure what the DA was that night, but sticky tires makes a world of difference. What's your altitude in GA? Vegas sits right around 2,000ft. I'm surprised you didn't crack into the 13's down there.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The swap would only add over 300 horsepower........from the same 302 cubic inches!!!!!! Would get better fuel economy too. Technology rules!

black2008gt

GT500 NOOB
Reaction score
Sticking with it because its a GT500. Had an S550 GT and it was great, but nothing beats the instant torque of the 5.4.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
tjm I'm with you on post #119

Getting to be a rare breed these days. Those that actually enjoy operating a car, even on the highway. I appreciate the tech going into this and would certainly use it at times especially if I'm getting tired 8+ hours into a drive.

I resent the fact it will probably some day be forced on everyone where we can't drive our own cars any more.

1 Alibi 2

If not today, when ??????
Reaction score
Sold my 2011 on 16 Sept. 2017 after 7 + years, it went to a good home in SC.
.......( heading south with the new owner )

I won't sell the 14 because it is & has everything I ever wanted.
If Ford comes out with a new offering, & it makes 874 ( crank ) hp, I may look @ it.

My need for something new is satisfied, for the time being, by the 2017 F150 Lariat 5.0, I took delivery of in Aug. !!

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Glad to know it found a good home.. Also congrats on the 2017 F-150 Lariat 5.0, looks awesome in Red :thumb:

Last edited:

Phil1098

Reaction score
I have been itching for something else, and at my age (57) considering spending some $ on a car. Looked at everything, Porsche 911, Cayman S, Corvette, Jaguar F Type, Mercedes SL550 and one of my best friends runs the Jag dealer. In talking to him he said, keep the Mustang, you'll enjoy the car more. He says all these cars are too tame and lack soul. My Mustang has been 100% flawless and everything works at it should nothing else sounds like it (especially with LTH, ORH, and FR500 mufflers on a 3V). I do like the fact I can work on anything with the Mustang and it all makes sense. It has enough technology that it runs perfect, but not overloaded with a bunch of computer nannies and bullshit I don't want. I'm good with not having TPMS, could fucking care less about that kind of crap. I guess if the new Bullitt comes out, I will look, but that ugly carp face doesn't make me want to turn around and look one more time.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm on the market for a 2015 F150 extended cab in the spring myself...loving the new body style, aluminum body, and the 5.0. Just gotta sell this Ranger first.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I guess the carp looks better in person.

My next purchase will be a daily, I think a G35x, my Mom has been running them for 10+ years, not a single issue. And cheap as heck. Safer than my death trap ranger.

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
I drove a new S550 Roush Stage 3. It was almost too refined. It was wicked fast, but it didn't connect with the road like my blown S197.

I still don't like the front of the S550, but I love the rear. I wish they would combine the S550 rear with the S197 style front instead of the Fusion style front of the S550. Perhaps a future S550 front end refresh (GT500?) will sway me.

My car is paid for...and that means a lot. I put a ton of time and mods into it, and I have a 5.0 liter short-block, cams, throttle body and a ton of other goodies waiting to go into it. I think my car is a keeper until it's wrecked or I can't drive it anymore.

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
I have the urge to buy a 2018 something.
F150 x-cab 2wd w/5.0 and e-locker...
or...Mustang GT auto (base model)

I can get either for about the same price.

I'm just torn between my love for the newer Ford trucks and the A10 trans in the 2018 GT.
I've never owned a new car before and to get one brand new that runs mid to low 12's bone stock is enticing.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Can't afford to replace it with something newer, like a S550. Too much $$ tied up as is, with a myriad of endless mods, which I will never recoup.

fourdegrees11

forum member
Reaction score
I have the urge to buy a 2018 something.
F150 x-cab 2wd w/5.0 and e-locker...
or...Mustang GT auto (base model)

I can get either for about the same price.

I'm just torn between my love for the newer Ford trucks and the A10 trans in the 2018 GT.
I've never owned a new car before and to get one brand new that runs mid to low 12's bone stock is enticing.

My only thoughts on buying a brand new Mustang are look at how the values of used Mustangs just plummeted after the 2018 became available... It's not going to look good when the S650, or whatever is next in 2-3 years comes out.

Can't afford to replace it with something newer, like a S550. Too much $$ tied up as is, with a myriad of endless mods, which I will never recoup.

This for sure right now. I feel like I'm going to have my car for 15+ years at this point. Maybe when your average new electric car is faster than me and my future goals of 650 whp on low boost I'll just throw my hands up and quit being a car guy lol

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
My only thoughts on buying a brand new Mustang are look at how the values of used Mustangs just plummeted after the 2018 became available... It's not going to look good when the S650, or whatever is next in 2-3 years comes out.

This for sure right now. I feel like I'm going to have my car for 15+ years at this point. Maybe when your average new electric car is faster than me and my future goals of 650 whp on low boost I'll just throw my hands up and quit being a car guy lol

In 10 years from now, 15 tops, it will be nothing but hybrids + 100% electric vehicles. The oil industry's days are numbered. The writing is on the wall. I just saw 3 x chevy bolts less than 1 hr ago, while running errands. Nissan leafs all over town too, heck, they even have an electric car club in town, bigger than the mustang club. The 2019 leaf gets upgraded from a 40 kwh battery to a 60 kwh battery. Chevy bolt is already 60 kwh. Tesla comes in 50/75/80 kwh. You can see where this is all going. Jaguar, mercedes, volvo, bmw, are all going electric. Volvo will no longer be manufacturing gasoline cars next year, only hybrids. They are already running newspaper articles about the demise of your local service station, soon to be extinct, along with eng and tranny repair shops, muffler shops, radiator shops etc, etc. They were quoting approximate reduction in work force numbers per year, for the next 10-15 years. Paint + body work + tires will be all that's left.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back