Why different factory mufflers for manual and auto trany 5.0s

phoneman91

Reaction score
I noticed on my 2011 Mustang GT that there is a label on the muffler inlet pipe stating "MAN" and that the Ford parts listing shows a listing for a 2011 GT a "man" and an "auto" muffler.

Why would there be one muffler for a manual transmission Mustang GT and another muffler for an automatictransmission equipped Mustang GT? Do one of these types have a different or louder exhaust sound or/and is the "auto" one "tuned" somehow for the special automatic equipped 3.15 axle?

Has anyone noticed a difference in exhaust sound between a manual equipped 5.0 and an automatic equipped 5.0? Is there an actual physical difference in size or chambering of these two types of factory mufflers?

Is anything else in the factory exhaust different between a manual and automatic transmission equipped 2011 GT Mustang?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I would think it's because the manual would burble and pop more under deceleration.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I noticed on my 2011 Mustang GT that there is a label on the muffler inlet pipe stating "MAN" and that the Ford parts listing shows a listing for a 2011 GT a "man" and an "auto" muffler.

Why would there be one muffler for a manual transmission Mustang GT and another muffler for an automatictransmission equipped Mustang GT? Do one of these types have a different or louder exhaust sound or/and is the "auto" one "tuned" somehow for the special automatic equipped 3.15 axle?

Has anyone noticed a difference in exhaust sound between a manual equipped 5.0 and an automatic equipped 5.0? Is there an actual physical difference in size or chambering of these two types of factory mufflers?

Is anything else in the factory exhaust different between a manual and automatic transmission equipped 2011 GT Mustang?

There is no difference in the mufflers. They are the same part numbers as the manual 5.0 cars.

5220(2011) and 5230(2012) to be exact.

phoneman91

Reaction score
There is no difference in the mufflers. They are the same part numbers as the manual 5.0 cars.

5220(2011) and 5230(2012) to be exact.

But there are two difference listings for auto and manual mufflers. What is the complete part number? The 5220 and 5230 are just the base part of the Ford Part number----aren't they?

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
It would make sense if the cams are different (or maybe just the Ti-VVT tuning is different)

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
But there are two difference listings for auto and manual mufflers. What is the complete part number? The 5220 and 5230 are just the base part of the Ford Part number----aren't they?

Yes thats just the base part number..

When I bought my car I noticed the manual car exhaust tips parked next to mine didnt have the inner pipe from the muffler sticking as far out as the auto car I bought.

I wasnt sure if it was a manual/auto thing or just a different supplier maybe. There was a V6 car with dual exhaust that the inside of the tips looked the same to me as well.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Every new 11/12 Mustang that has arrived at our dealership has either the double walled muffler tips (on automatics) or single walled muffler tips (on the manuals). Ford is 100% definitely using different mufflers depending on transmission (GT and V6, alike).

phoneman91

Reaction score
Every new 11/12 Mustang that has arrived at our dealership has either the double walled muffler tips (on automatics) or single walled muffler tips (on the manuals). Ford is 100% definitely using different mufflers depending on transmission (GT and V6, alike).

Interesting. I didnt noticed this -because I didnt look at the automatic 5.0s when shopping for a Mustang. I had noticed that the 3.7s had double wall-but I didnt know that only the 3.7 automatics had the double wall tips.

Is the actual inside diameter of the tips the same on the double wall and single wall mufflers?

If the outside diameter is the same 3.5 inches for the tips-than the inside diameter of the actual tip has to be smaller. Is the sound the same between the two types of muffler on the 5.0?

What would be the reason for having single and double wall tips?

Last edited:

Thereaper

forum member
Reaction score
The GT500 mufflers are louder on my auto car than my buddy's manual car. And I don't know why.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
ONE MO TIME... The manual mufflers are made quieter for the burble and pop manual cars make on deceleration.
How does this not make sense to anyone? LOL

wbt

forum member
Reaction score

Yes they are partial numbers. There is no price on the mufflers and cannot proceed with checkout on fordparts.com to verify the full part number for each.

I will look at a friends auto mufflers and see if there is any visual difference.

phoneman91

Reaction score
ONE MO TIME... The manual mufflers are made quieter for the burble and pop manual cars make on deceleration.
How does this not make sense to anyone? LOL

We HEAR you! LOL. But It hasn't been completely established that the manual factory mufflers are quieter.

Though "Five OH Brian" seems to know this-he having seen and heard more 5.0s than I have--being he is involved with a Ford dealership.

I would have thought that a smaller outlet tube of the auto 5.0 muffler would be quieter than the larger outlet tube of the manual transmission 5.0 factory muffler.

If what Brian states- that the auto is louder than the manual 5.0-it would suggest that going from a manual equipped factory muffler Mustang to a GT500 muffler would be a even better improvement in sound over the auto equipped Mustang 5.0. But then-"Thereaper" states that the GT500 is louder on his friend's auto 5.0 than his manual 5.0 equipped GT500.

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Will any of this matter when you go to an aftermarket muffler which will not be auto or stick specific?....... nope.

Thereaper

forum member
Reaction score
We HEAR you! LOL. But It hasn't been completely established that the manual factory mufflers are quieter.

Though "Five OH Brian" seems to know this-he having seen and heard more 5.0s than I have--being he is involved with a Ford dealership.

I would have thought that a smaller outlet tube of the auto 5.0 muffler would be quieter than the larger outlet tube of the manual transmission 5.0 factory muffler.

If what Brian states- that the auto is louder than the manual 5.0-it would suggest that going from a manual equipped factory muffler Mustang to a GT500 muffler would be a even better improvement in sound over the auto equipped Mustang 5.0. But then-"Thereaper" states that the GT500 is louder on his friend's auto 5.0 than his manual 5.0 equipped GT500.

My car is an auto and the gt500 mufflers are really loud compared to the manual cars wit the gt500's that I've heard. Hopefully a tune will help the sound.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back