Why sometimes the dealership is 'good'...

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wanted to paint my roush vynle stripes and get a new hood for quite awhile but one of the things that held me back for so long was the fact the majority of the cars I have seen with aftermarket hoods had a definitive different color. They never seem matched just perfect.

As I went around getting quotes from body shops, they all said they would 'blend into the fenders to match'. I always asked, "how does that make the whole car match?"...lol

Anyway, I normally avoid the dealerships like the plague, but I figured I'd get a quote from a Ford bodyshop. Now the quote was about $500 more than the average quote from small body shops but what sold me is they kept telling me that they are going to repaint the WHOLE CAR to match. I was impressed with this so I went with them and told them to call me when it got in the paint booth so I could 'approve' the stripe size. I really wanted to see if they were telling the truth about matching the whole car.

Turns out they were down to every panel. I am very pleased so far even though they are taking way longer than quoted. They keep telling me that they want this car to perfect so how can I argue with that...lol

Just pleased that for once taking it to a dealership was a 'good' thing as they are doing a kick arse job. I'll have the car back on Monday or Tuesday and Bill Coogle is making me some incredible custom artwork for the side emblems, rear badge, radiator cover, grill, interior, etc. etc. that should be hear next week as well to finish off the final 'show' mods of the car. Very excited to see this car finally......'FINISHED'.

KILLER06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Mark your letting the dealer repaint the entire car? You have some balls to just let them respray the entire car. And how they could do that for 500 dollars more than any body shop could paint your hood is beyond me.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They like my car...lol

Seriously, they just didn't repaint it. They sanded and prepped the entire car. Every single car I have seen up close with an aftermarket hood has never looked 'perfect'. I wanted perfect fitment and perfect match. They are re-doing all of my body kit pieces as well cause those have never matched perfectly either. I know I am going to be very pleased with the finished look. Total price was $3200 including some other custom body work and installs like hood pins, custom sills, hole filling, and resurfacing certain areas...

View attachment 1717

View attachment 1718

View attachment 1719

Last edited:

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sunrise Ford body shop in North Hollywood.

I kind of think they regret it...lol

The manager LOVES my car and I think really wanted to have the chance to work on it. He also told me it should only take a week and I am on week 3 so it was definitely more work than I think they anticipated.

I also still don't trust dealers completely so I stop by there every other day and check the progress and have them call me after prepping to look at stuff before anything get's finished. I don't think they counted on that either...lol

But it's my money and not chump change so I'm making sure I get what I want.:clap:

MSgt46270

Reaction score
Your car should look killer, Chevykiller that is. LOL
Post up pictures when you get it back.

GT4Dino

Whimple Whomper
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not to drift off topc, but I highly recommend having a valet tune added for anytime your car goes into the dealer (by this I mean having the rev limiter set to 3500) Especially since you said the manager REALLY likes your car ;)

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL...

Good point but I also made sure he saw me write down the mileage right in front of him when I dropped it off and I reminded him, "I'd be checking"...:naughty:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Doesn't take any miles to do a 90 second burnout...LOL :onfire:

Just messing with ya. Can't wait till you post pics...It's going to look awesome.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
And how they could do that for 500 dollars more than any body shop could paint your hood is beyond me.

I do all my own body work since around 1989. About a month ago it cost me about $235 in supplies to paint my wife's door after it was bumped in to at a parking lot. I had to do the damaged door, the door next to it and the rear quarter and bumper cover.

The paint itself was only $35 for a half pint. If I bought a gallon, it would have only been $110. You figure the $65 extra for paint and the hour or so of extra prep, their making some serious profit, even only at $500 over the blend job.

I guessing the original quote for the blend was between $800 to $1000 and they said a week to do it. Now if the dealer did it right and pulled all of the glass, trim, rubber seals, etc, then your getting a really good deal.

Last edited:

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I do all my own body work since around 1989. About a month ago it cost me about $235 in supplies to paint my wife's door after it was bumped in to at a parking lot. I had to do the damaged door, the door next to it and the rear quarter and bumper cover.

The paint itself was only $35 for a half pint. If I bought a gallon, it would have only been $110. You figure the $65 extra for paint and the hour or so of extra prep, their making some serious profit, even only at $500 over the blend job.

I guessing the original quote for the blend was between $800 to $1000 and they said a week to do it. Now if the dealer did it right and pulled all of the glass, trim, rubber seals, etc, then your getting a really good deal.

They pulled everything but the glass. The also are using ppg paint and doing 2 and 1/2 coats of clear (vs. the factory 1 and 1/2) They are doing a top notch job so far and I am really impressed with the quality and service from this place.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are you kidding me?

Hey!! Remember that I put those badges there BEFORE their was a GT500 and it was because I had a cobra block and rotating assembly the first time.

It was after the GT500 came out I axed the badges. Nope, I've got custom side emblems, rear badge, radiator cover, and some other goodies coming from this guy...(Bill Coogle)

http://www.uniqueautomotivedesigns.com/prd_MBLMS_HDPFL.shtml

I have gone with a checkered flag theme with the ford logo torn away on almost everything. It's going to look really sharp when it's done late next week...:clap:

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Bill Coogle does nice work... excellent choice! :clap:

But, ummm... errr... there are no checkered flags in drag racing. Are you going NASCAR on us now? hahaha

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
That's some good lookn' stuff. I have been doing airbrush work for a while, but not art, just stripes and color / tone blends. I can tell you, art is much harder.

I just got a junk fender to do some practicing on. Gonna try to learn how to do "true flames" to put on my bike. If I figure it out, I might do some ghost flames on my car when I repaint...

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That would look great! If I was closer to Bill, I would have had the whole front of the car airbrushed!!:clap:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back