Will spark plugs break again?

Cmarris

Reaction score
Prepping my 05 gt for the the track tomorrow and I want to pull the plugs and check them to see if it's causing some low rpm hesitation, I changed the plugs out October of 2016, car has maybe 8k on those plugs. I replaced them with autolite ht1's Wich apparently have high speed steel design to help them not break on removal. Do you guys think I will have plugs break or should they come out no problem?

cfr865

Reaction score
You could use a little PB Blaster first to be on the safe side.
Has the coils ever been changed ?

sman247

forum member
Reaction score
I've never broken one, but like stated above those are way too new to give you trouble coming out

bl817

Reaction score
how many miles on the motor? My 05' (11-04 build) didn't like the HT1 or E3 plugs I tried. I replaced the OEM plugs at 34k with OEM SP-514 with Nickle anti-seize. if your in doubt, run a can of B12 chemtool or equivalent thru a tank of gas before attempting the removal of the plugs. the COP should be good for 150k - 200k. if they need replaced, its best to stick with the expensive OEM ones. aftermarket MSD, Accel ect are hit and miss with these cars. good luck

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did u use the high temp anti seize when you installed?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I put 20k on a set of ht1 spark plugs and they came right out for me.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No, issue was only with motorcraft and autolite who makes them before the hss redesign which changed in 2010ish.

07 Boss

Reaction score
You should pull and check your plugs at least once a year. Give them a cleaning and replace them if necessary. Maybe that's a hold over for the old days but I still do this with all my cars. If you do this you should never build up enough carbon to get them stuck and break them. The other upside is that if you know what you are looking for you can tell a lot on how your motor is running.

sman247

forum member
Reaction score
Champion spark plugs always worked great for me. One piece design and easy to gap as well

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Yes, the issue was with the plugs and they were redesigned in 2010 or so. Any plug purchased since then will not break when removing it. This should no longer be an issue with any car still on the road unless it still has the original plugs.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Brisk, and everybody else, makes 1 piece plugs for the older cars, that used the 2 piece plug. Don't install more 2 piece plugs.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, the issue was with the plugs and they were redesigned in 2010 or so. Any plug purchased since then will not break when removing it. This should no longer be an issue with any car still on the road unless it still has the original plugs.

Actually Ford put a redesigned head on anything built after Nov. 30, 2007 IIRC so that the plug issue is not an issue. Also think they have the brown COPs.

406guy

Reaction score
Actually Ford put a redesigned head on anything built after Nov. 30, 2007 IIRC so that the plug issue is not an issue. Also think they have the brown COPs.

So the plugs for the old style heads have been redesign to be more resilliant? As in, Ford no longer makes the breakable 2 piece plugs?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
So the plugs for the old style heads have been redesign to be more resilliant? As in, Ford no longer makes the breakable 2 piece plugs?
Correct. They quit making those plugs shortly after they discovered the fatal flaw. Replacement plugs haven't been an issue for almost a decade.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
And they redesigned the heads so the spark plugs had a little more space.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
I believe the redesign of the heads, complete with different plugs and coils, occurred mid-cycle 2008.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, which is anything after Nov. 30, 2007 per TSB 08-7-6.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back