Will welding hold on aluminum block?

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
Shooting for 1000hp...and higher eventually, but have a dilemma as an ear broke on my block that the trans bell-housing mounts up to. It’s the hole next to the starter, and the opposite side needs to be fixed as well since the bolt broke off in it.

I believe this is 70/30 mix, and I don’t want to set out this way only to have a soft weld warp or crack later.

Will the weld be fine or am I looking at a new block?

If I go new, should I go aluminum or Romeo iron block? Oooohh a loaded question I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
A good weld should be just as strong, or stronger than the original. I would have that ear filled with weld and then drill/tap the hole through all the new metal instead of trying to weld the old ear back on.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wait........ you want to drop the coin needed to make a thousand plus horsepower and you want to use a block that you already know is damaged? Think about that.

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
Wait........ you want to drop the coin needed to make a thousand plus horsepower and you want to use a block that you already know is damaged? Think about that.

That’s what I am getting at, but if it is entirely fixable, without compromise, then it’s fine, but yeah I don’t want anything questionable, which is the reason for me asking.

Some have said weld it and others have said I’m nuts, but I don’t want speculation. I was hoping for an experienced racer / builder to comment one way or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
If a very good welder does it, it will be fine. A hack job is not worth it. I would not put an iron block in it.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I suspect that what you will pay a qualified welder to TIG that back together would be almost enough to justify finding an undamaged block. I have been told by a talented welder that tigging "dirty" (ie.. used) aluminum is a so-so deal.

I have access to a F4TE block in pristine condition (less than 25K on it), except one engine mount was partially busted. A qualified welder (different guy than above) used a jig to weld in two threaded studs. I could build a hot street engine for mt Foxbody with it but it would always be in my mind that I could have thousands of dollars in that engine and have that repair fail. That would be money wasted to me. So I won't use it.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
If a very good welder does it, it will be fine. A hack job is not worth it. I would not put an iron block in it.
This is the whole key. Being more Aluminum, I wouls strongly suggest TIG Welding. If done properly it should hold.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ask whatever machine shop will be doing the block prep work for their opinion. I had a broken oil pan bolt hole Tig welded at the shop that did my machine work and they do small repairs like broken ears, starter bolt holes, etc... on a regular basis.

Totheboards

Reaction score
A fix could be engineered... As mentioned, you really want to clean the surrounding Al well. TIG welding process is a must imho. Forget which wave pattern is ideal, but of sine, square, and saw tooth, one is better for cleaning with high frequency. Would suggest a 100% efficient weld design. A two sided weld with a root back-gouge before welding the 2nd side. Not sure what you would use for weld wire on the 3v block but someone more experienced should be able to help... would think the filler should be as comparable to the cast aluminum properties as possible. You could go further and add in non destructive inspections such as a penetrant test (PT). Can buy it and the developer online, process is pretty straight forward. For something like this, if the design of the weld and execution is good, I would only bother with a PT on the final weld pass, or after any machining is done.

As an FYI, a good practical place to look for welding info is weldingtipsandtricks.com
No I am not affiliated with him haha

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back