180 degree headers

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
Have you guys ever heard 180 degree headers? Unfortunately they are almost impossible to fit on any car let alone a Mustang but they have a sound to die for. I have heard a set installed on a Pantera and on a Corvette set up for racing. The headers had to run through the foot well of the passenger side so a new tunnel was built to cover them. What makes 180 degree headers so unique is that the exhaust pulses are even distributed the spacing between the pulses is exactly the same. This is accomplished by running two pipes from the right side into a collector with two pipes from the left side and visa versa.It is the sound you hear on old Cosworth F1 cars and CanAm cars back in the day. I know I can only wish but I'd love set if it were possible.

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
It's possible to build a set for the Mustang but the gains are not worth the cost. I built a set a few years ago for my NHRA stock eliminator Nova, it picked up .03 in the 1/4 over the Hooker Super Comps. Back in the 80's, I also built a set for my rear engined dragster.

picture.php

picture.php

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
Yes they produce only slightly more hp than conventional long tube headers but they sound amazing.

That top picture is a Pantera isn't it? And those old Doug headers almost look like a design that might be emulated. Cars back them had some much more room in the engine compartments of course they were a fair shade bigger as well.

Oh well just a day dream.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Good thing I searched. I recently found about this and was wondering if anyone has done it. Guess it's still a dream. Any way to mimic this with equal length headers and an x-pipe? The goal is to increase scavenging isnt it?

I think there should be plenty of room even without the tubular k-member...

Last edited:

DOFORLIFE

forum member
Reaction score
I wanna hear a set on a 4.6 and a coyote. Seen vids of ls and 350's done and it sounds awesome.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
I think they sound like shit - ever hear an engine with a "flat" (180 degree) crank? Same concept. Buzzy....bzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back