1994 Mustang GT money pit I mean project

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
Is this the grey plug that you were talking about earlier? Looks like mine came from the factory with that green jump wire.

View attachment 75535

Yeah, that does look like it for sure, and there's the antenna (I think?) wire too.

Joe, need any parts off a 1998? I know some of the New Edge parts upgrade some early SN95 stuff. Lemme know

Will do, thanks! I believe the center console is the same and the '96+ have cupholders.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I believe the center console is the same and the '96+ have cupholders.

'98+ has the cup holders and does away with the ashtray. However they offered a drop in ashtray "cup" with a lid as I recall.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
Oh right. My '99 had the ashtray cup, I forgot about that.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
A lot of people swap to the 01+ console because it has more useable cup holders and has a nice leather boot for the e brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
You don't realize how much you miss things like cup holders (and key fobs) until you get in a vehicle that doesn't have them!

I'm hoping to have some time to fall in on the timing and TPS stuff during the week of Christmas, since I'm off all week. I'm also heading to Memphis (yay lol) for a couple of days for work. Driving my truck, so I'll get a nice mileage check from that. Probably enough to buy an intake lol.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
Got the new instrument cluster bezel installed. Also went through the idle relearn - this time with a warm engine. It wouldn’t idle with the IAC unplugged so I adjusted the trim screw up until it would idle. Then completed the remainder of the procedure. I haven’t driven it but hopefully this resolves the stalling issue.

Checked TPS voltage and timing. TPS was .983 so I didn’t mess with any adjustment. Timing looked to be 8 or 10 degrees as best as I could tell, so it’s likely never been touched. I had to lightly sand the harmonic balancer to see the timing marks and then marked 0 and 10 with a paint marker.

One of the defroster vents popped out while I was wiping the dash off. Clip was broken so I used some super glue and popped it back in.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Most likely someone adjusted the tps voltage already. 1 volt is a solid setting.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Agreed that's close enough to the magic 1V. I wouldn't mess with it either.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
I should prob check it again, as I had checked it before adjusting the idle screw. I’ll check it tomorrow just to make sure it isn’t out since the adjustment.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
Drove the car today - no stalling so that’s cool. Idle is prob a touch high but I can live with it for now. I may mess with it later this week.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
Adjusted the idle again, much better now. It was hanging slightly when I had it a bit too high, so bringing it down seems to have that sorted out.

Got some NVX 5.25 components mounted up front, mounted the tweeters to the sail panel. I wanted to flush mount them in the A-pillar but that wasn’t going to happen due to the curvature of the pillars. I ended up surface mounting them on the sails, too thick to flush mount. I have them hooked up to that old school PPI amp. Turns out, the front channels on the amp are dead so I’m running them off the rear. The HU is powering the rears. I could run both front/rear off the rears but I would lose fader, not sure I want to do that. I’ll see how it plays out once I get the sub in. I have a 12” Kicker on the way, built a slot ported box today. I still have to carpet it, and hope the sub channels on the amp are good. Otherwise, I’m buying an amp. Pics to follow.

Rich

Reaction score
The old 5.0 pushrod, god I love the sound that engine makes. I wish Ford would have kept it alive and further developed it alongside the 4.6.

Rich

Reaction score
tz2RMuR.jpg

5WBXNvH.jpg

Those rims SCREAM 90's and I love it!!

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
Lol yeah they have to go. I’m looking at some Cobra R replicas in 17x9/10.5 to replace them. I’m thinking I might need to flip the quad shocks? Not sure.

Got the sub box finished just have to carpet it. Also pulled the factory rear speakers in prep of some new 5x7 on the way. Sub output on amp is good per my testing. I put some more Noico on the rear deck while I had it apart.

Rich

Reaction score
Come on man, KEEP THOSE RIMS! How many SN95's do you see with those rims on them? Very few....if any. I've seen a chrome version of them online, but I doubt they were factory. I get it if they just don't do it for ya, but damn those wheels really set it apart :)

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You don't see them for a reason. There are WAY better looking wheels to choose from.

The '95 COBRA R 17x9/10.5 style would look like 90's nostalgia. The just look so "right" on rhose cars. Like draglites on foxbody cars.

This place has them. Also has my first choice of the Saleen rims from that era. They're 18's.

https://www.oewheelsllc.com/make/Ford/model/Mustang/year/1994

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
Agreed, they are not a good-looking wheel. There are too many other good choices that scream "90s" other than the tri-bars. Thanks for the link - I also found them on Jegs (pretty sure they are the same brand). I was torn between those and the 2000 Cobra Rs, but the 2000 Rs only come in 18x9.5, and I'm really wanting to stuff a big ass tire under the rear. I think a 285 is all I could get on the 9.5 wheel (don't get me wrong, that's a big ass tire as well, but not what I'm after). This thing is going to look and sound like it'll go like stink, even if it won't lol.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They do look like the 93 Cobra R wheel, because they are (I'm pretty sure anyway).

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
Ordered wheels/tires and new mufflers (Borla ProXS). Shop dog put two holes in the passenger front seat this weekend....she was "supervising" me working on the rear speakers. She can't really help it I guess, she's 97 pounds. Combine that with 26 year old Ford leather, and that's what you get. Something else to tend to down the road.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Those borlas are pretty tame, I was looking at them compared to the s types when I had my 02 gt. They sounded good but were too tame for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back