2.3 whipple pulley alignment

BigOil

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to here but not completely new to the forums.

I installed a 2.3 FRPP rear feed whipple on my '13 5.0 a few months back. I've Been messing with it for a while now because I'm shredding supercharger belts. I can drive it around town just fine but at high rpms (6500-7000) I'm tearing them up.

I'm 99.9% sure my supercharger pulley is out of alignment. I've tried schooching up the intercooler/intake manny on the bolt holes and spaced between the pulley and hub. I once spaced it about 6mm just to see if I could align the belt right where I wanted it and succeeded. I didn't break belts at 7500rpm and managed to tune it properly. The lip of the pulley didn't sit on the hub though (spaced too much) and I had a horrible shearing incident of the pulley bolts haha. I also grinded all the bosses down completely flush to the timing cover and sanded the bejesus out of them.

I'm going to look into getting a custom spacer made so that pulley lip can sit on the supercharger hub but I just can't accept that my kit out the box was 6mm off.

Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Does whipple sell different offset pullies? I tried to get some info out of whipple but they didn't have much. I just bought a few 2.5mm spacers from them but I'm sure one of those won't change anything. 2mm in there now vs a 2.5mm.

Thanks

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I've only done one PD blower install, and the alignment was fine, but both centri set-ups I've installed needed tweaked.

It sounds like your blower pulley is too far back towards the windshield? I don't know if you messed with your balancer, but maybe it isn't seated all the way? I'm not sure on the configuration of your drive system. The one pd blower install I did left an open door to re-install the power steering pulley on too far. as it didn't have a shoulder to go against to set the pulley depth, you just needed to set it to match the alignment of all of the other pulleys in the system and could've easily been pressed on too far.

Just a few things to consider I suppose.

BigOil

Reaction score
Yeah the pulley is too far towards the Windshield. I can easily space it by putting washers between the pulley and the bolt holes/hub but the pulley has a 7mm deep circle indentation type thing and it overlaps onto the hub area then you bolt it on. So When I space it as much as I need that overlap doesn't happen and the bolts are at the shear force mercy of the belt perpendicularly tugging at them. I'm going to take a look at the hub again thank you for your input.

This isn't my exact pulley but a google image same style (mines 6 rib too)

Attachments

• IMG_2601.jpg
    IMG_2601.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 2

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I'm guessing the hub is a press fit, maybe pull the hub / pulley assembly forward a bit. But I wouldn't shim between the hub and sheave either.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
That's supposed to be a friction connection, washers don't work.

The flange that the pulley mounts on is pushed too far on to the shaft, or mismanufactured?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back