2005 GT tune question

biz4765

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm back after a 9 year hiatus from selling my 06 vista blue GT. Picked up a 2005 GT stick in mineral gray w black guts. Has mufflers and a cold air open box similar to what you'd see on an 08 Bullitt. I noticed a 91+ octane sticker on the gas cap leading me to believe it could have a tune on it or at least did at one time. However, the guy I bought it from did not tune it nor did he receive a handheld. So question is if there is a way I can find out if it's tuned. I want to order a tune eventually and I don't want to find out it's already tuned where I try to upload my new one. Thanks!

07 Boss

Reaction score
Is the MAF housing stock or stock size? The mufflers or air box should not have needed a tune. But that doesn't mean there's not a tune in there.

But what difference does it make in getting a new tune?

bl817

Reaction score
unless you find the owner that put the sticker on the gas cap or go to a dealership and pay money, there really isn't a way to find out what tune is on your car. IIRC, the bullitt cars came with the FRPP intake that mated to the stock GT air intake tube so even tho its a CAI open filter, it shouldn't need a tune to run as the bullitt cars were factory GT with upgrades. if your car runs fine now and you want to throw parts on it that need tunes, simply use the tune that's on it as the "stock" tune and upload/flash your tune to the car. the tuner will save whats on there now as stock, you should be good to go. good luck

08MustangDude

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
If your car was tuned, another tuner won't be able to tune it. That's what
diablowsport told me. You will have to go to a ford dealer and have them
put the factory program back in.

Also, factory performance tunes are not the same as tuner tunes, you can use a tuner then.

The Bulitt is 315 HP -vs- the GT 300 HP. This is due to in intake package,
but they also used a heavier crank damper that allowed Ford to raise the rev
limit another 250rpm, to 6500. They put this into the 2010 GTs so they
would have more power to match the new body, but the V6 was still the
210HP 4.0 engine.

biz4765

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, yea the problem is a new tune won't load if there's one on there. I want a new tune because I eventually want a JLT intake, long tubes/xpipe and a 93 tune that compliments the mods properly. I guess my worst case will be getting a CAI/93 tune combo that I want to start and if it doesn't load I'll have to hit the local dealer for a stock flash.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Thanks guys, yea the problem is a new tune won't load if there's one on there. I want a new tune because I eventually want a JLT intake, long tubes/xpipe and a 93 tune that compliments the mods properly. I guess my worst case will be getting a CAI/93 tune combo that I want to start and if it doesn't load I'll have to hit the local dealer for a stock flash.

You shouldn't have to have the stock tune in there to load another tune. Even a brand new tune and tuner. (well I don't know about diablo) If you hook up a new tuner to an already tuned car it will download the current tune as the stock tune and move on. No biggie.

I had an original Bama tune in my car loaded with a Diablo. When I went with the Whipple I went SCT and loaded a Lund tune right over the Bama tune.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Diablo won't let you tune an already tuned ECU. Two of my buddie went through this. There is a way around it, but it takes some finagling. SCT doesn't seem to care what's in there. I was able to write a tune over I think a Bama tune that was in my car.

biz4765

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I will be using an SCT so hopefully I am in the clear.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back