2006 4.0 new timing kit and now a broken guide in 500 miles

Mikeincool

Reaction score
So....I bought a 2006 that needed some work. Low miles..106K with a 5 speed. Pulled the engine out and it had a timing failure, Bought a kit from eBay for $80 (diamond) and followed several online guides. Replaced the clutch and pressure plate. Put the engine back in and it runs great. The problem is a tapping or clicking sound on the drivers side valve cover. Drove it for about 500 mikes over a few weeks and decided that it must be the lash lifter adjusters. Ordered a set and when I pulled the valve cover I found a one inch piece of the metal part of the lower guide laying in the head. I went ahead and replaced the lash adjusters and it did not help the clicking sound. My question is this, did I get a bad guide and I just need to replace the broken part or did I do something when installing the timing parts? Also, should I replace all of the parts or just the part that broke? I am a little sick. The last thing I want is to pull the engine back out and start over. I would like to drive this Mustang to work and have a little fun with it. I have ordered the Cloyes kit for $250. Im hoping better parts will be the medicine. Has anyone had this happen.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Nope but when it comes to internal engine parts, it's best to buy brand name items. For the 4.6 I wouldn't buy anything other than Ford Performance valvetrain parts and the same should apply to the 4.0.

Mikeincool

Reaction score
Update.....I realize that I had used my old tensioner on the drivers side heads. I decided to install the new part after reading about how this is an important part to replace especially after a timing guide failure. When I pulled out the old tensioner, it was missing all the guts. Wow, how much does that sting. I was driving around with out a functioning tensioner. I put the new one in and like magic, the noise is gone. I am only telling this embarrassing story in the hope that someone will read this and save themselves the pain of my mistakes. I read that the tensioner should be replaced every 70k and is the most likely reason for the guides to break apart. I never stopped to think about why the guides broke into little pieces, but it makes sense. If the tensioner is a shock absorber for the chain and it is allows the chain to slap the plastic guides, how long could the plastic last. So to recap, never replace your timing parts without installing the new tensioner. Also I read that is is very important to make sure the tensioner is pumped up with oil.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Update.....I realize that I had used my old tensioner on the drivers side heads. I decided to install the new part after reading about how this is an important part to replace especially after a timing guide failure. When I pulled out the old tensioner, it was missing all the guts. Wow, how much does that sting. I was driving around with out a functioning tensioner. I put the new one in and like magic, the noise is gone. I am only telling this embarrassing story in the hope that someone will read this and save themselves the pain of my mistakes. I read that the tensioner should be replaced every 70k and is the most likely reason for the guides to break apart. I never stopped to think about why the guides broke into little pieces, but it makes sense. If the tensioner is a shock absorber for the chain and it is allows the chain to slap the plastic guides, how long could the plastic last. So to recap, never replace your timing parts without installing the new tensioner. Also I read that is is very important to make sure the tensioner is pumped up with oil.
Glad you found it. Like previously mentioned, Internal Engine Parts should be Ford or Premium names only. Just in case. Remember that many components have patents on them and for a company to duplicate something has to be changed. Generally the price is reduced tremendously and a corner is cut along the line.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back