2007 Mustang GT ticking noise/rough idle/misfire FIXED

Ktm85sx

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this in but figured it would help out some people.
Recently started running into trouble with my 07 GT manual 5 speed, had some rough idling, started to pop and was hesitating really bad on pulls. Would cut out even sometimes. On top of that there was HORRIBLE ticking noises coming from the engine.
At first I thought it was 100% the cam
Phasers. So I bought a phaser kit with new solenoids and it did absolutely nothing. Being discouraged, I started researching more and started gearing towards the ignition of the car. I bought new coil on plugs, and those also did nothing. Started cleaning the throttle body, MAF sensor, Seafoamed it, 5-30 royal purple oil change. Nothing worked.
FINALLY on the way to work today, a code popped up for a misfire in cylinder 7. BINGO. Went to autozone after work, installed all 8 spark plugs and BOOM. Car makes ZERO ticking noises, and runs like brand new. Turns out the noise was compression leaking past cylinder 7’s spark plug. It was finger loose. Moral of the story: always check your plugs. Hope this helps!

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
Time and time again I remind myself to check the cheap easy stuff first. Do I learn?....no...I always think it is the worst but in most cases it isn't. Glad you figured it out!

Ktm85sx

Reaction score
Time and time again I remind myself to check the cheap easy stuff first. Do I learn?....no...I always think it is the worst but in most cases it isn't. Glad you figured it out!
I wish it was always this easy!! I spent hundreds trying to fix it when I could have just spent one hundred and been fine.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
A mechanic's stethoscope could save you hundreds of $$$$ by helping you to localize and diagnose noises. Consider it a very good investment.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back