2008 4.0 swap to a ?? 3v 5.4? 2v 5.4? or 5.0 coyote

Terrell Thompson

Reaction score
I have a 2008 mustang that has seen better days, wife bought a new commuter and gave me the green light to do whatever build I want on her old ride. I have a 97 f150 with a 5.4 and auto trans that I could use as a donor, or possibly looking at the 3v 5.4 or 5.0 coyote.

whatever route, motor will be built top to bottom, like to add TT setup on it a year or two after the initial swap.

Appreciate all the advice!

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Good luck. After Driving, can’t answer right now my 17 I really like the coyote and recommend it. And depending on what year and model the motor comes out you wont even have to build it. The hardest parts are going to be wiring/ecu and drivetrain. Pick a motor first then we can further guide you to what you want to get.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I hope you have deep pockets 'cause you'd need to upgrade just about every thing (engine, tranny, driveshaft, rear axle, suspension, brakes, fuel system, Control Pack, gauge cluster). Get a used low mileage '15-'17 Coyote engine as the starting point. Power By The Hour (PBH) have many of the other items you'd need for a successful Coyote swap.
For inspiration you can watch the Brenspeed Baby Blue Balls Coyote Swap series in YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyyePPaOSI83NQxEVIxiktsl_pkL_ljFe

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sell it and buy a 2011 or newer Coyote car. Less hassle and I am sure it'll be cheaper in the end.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
haha, baby blue balls

Yes, coyote GT's are stupid cheap for what you get now.

If you do go the project route, enjoy. I'd do what was mentioned. Twin turbo car should be reliable at about $65,000-$80,000. Look around here for some good builds.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Twin turbo car should be reliable at about $65,000-$80,000.

Is it really worth spending that much money on an 11 year old V6?
Even a Coyote swap plus all the other extras I mentioned would cost over $10k without labor and for that level of expense, the OP might as well trade up to an '11-'14 GT if he wants a daily drivable car.
If he wants to just convert the '08 V6 into a race car, he might as well strip everything from it right down to the bodyshell, sell the V6 parts, and rebuild it from the ground up to an entirely different spec. That'll cost an arm and a leg and many have been unable to finish such projects because they ran out of funds so beware of the pitfalls.

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I love my 5.0 swap. Was it expensive vs just buying a 5.0? Yes. But I like the 05-09 body more. I did all the work myself. And your 10k+ cost is right on the money.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Is it really worth spending that much money on an 11 year old V6?
Even a Coyote swap plus all the other extras I mentioned would cost over $10k without labor and for that level of expense, the OP might as well trade up to an '11-'14 GT if he wants a daily drivable car.
If he wants to just convert the '08 V6 into a race car, he might as well strip everything from it right down to the bodyshell, sell the V6 parts, and rebuild it from the ground up to an entirely different spec. That'll cost an arm and a leg and many have been unable to finish such projects because they ran out of funds so beware of the pitfalls.

NO!

The optimum right now would be a 2015 GT with a used supercharger kit.

Me, I like the latter part of your paragraph, I really like the early S197's so am bandying about constantly deciding what engine to install in this chassis and how to do it. It's a long game for me since I already have a finished car and am just waiting to start a new project. As of now am stockpiling some money and after my "what rpms coyote durable" thread went off the rails, am looking at copart for GT350's that the sales guy totaled off on an afternoon run for some dunkin' donuts.

Juice's car is bad ass, maganum XL, five oh, for 10 grand!

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Parts alone were about 13k. Got the coyote for 3800, xl was 3550, 500 for driveshaft, 1000 for the 8.8, 700 for catted X pipe, clutch and flywheel 800, and that is just the big stuff. lol

Add, pcm, radiator, condenser, cai, and a whole lot more.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
you said 10k+

it was 25!

I guess they didn't ask the right questions ;)

have you considered working for government?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Well that vindicates what I said earlier suggesting that the OP trades up to a newer Stang that already has the Coyote engine if he wants a daily drivable car. Depending on his budget it could be an '11-'14 GT or a '15-'17.
I do understand that some might want to keep the '05-'09 body style, and I'm one of them, but embarking on a major project as described earlier will be a money pit whose depth may be much greater than anticipated. One also needs to consider what use the car will see when (or if) the project is finished, and what its resale value will be.
These projects can be fun but they can also leave you broke.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
This April will be the second anyversary of my build. I've put 20000 miles on it so far, and the only issue I had was my P/S pump went out at a track event. Replaced it, and since then I ran at NJMP thunderbolt without issues (2 day event). It was my daily till a few months ago.

A swap like this is definitely not for everyone. You need to be very good at electrical work and custom tuning is a must. I could care less about resale value, as I plan on driving this car till the coyote breaks something. Everything else is NEW. So I see no reason why it wont run another 80000. And when that happens, I may go nuts and build an 800 hp monster. :)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back