2008 Mustang GT/CS Convertible

Discussion in 'Mustang Chit Chat' started by RetDrumSgt, May 21, 2020.

1. RetDrumSgt

RetDrumSgt Junior Member

For my 81st BD I bought myself the above car. It was in perfect condition and had 62,000 mi. I had a Mach I when I was 30 and have always been a Mustang fan. These are my questions.

1) What does s197 stand for?
    2) Inside on the console, to the right of the gear shift there is a small pop off cover maybe an inch and a half long by a quarter inch. Can't find it in the book and the mechanic at the Ford Dealer didn't know what it was for.
    3) I've only own the car for eight months and a week ago noticed under the hood, just behind the latch there's an 8X4 inch area where the paint has pealed off to the metal. Is this a common issue with the 2005 to 2009 Mustangs.

2. stkjock

stkjock ---- Madmin ---- Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator S197 Team Member

Welcome

Please read the rules at the top of the tech sections before posting in them.

S197 - is the chassis designation from Ford

the pop-off cover, is it oval and on the besel of the shifter?

Owners manual is available on line

https://carmanuals2.com/ford/mustang-2008-owner-s-manual-28960

never heard of that paint issue and I've owned these cars since 2006

3. RetDrumSgt

RetDrumSgt Junior Member

It's on the console itself and oblong. I have gone through the manual several times and it's isn't mentioned.

4. EBABlacknChrome

EBABlacknChrome forum member

Pictures of the oval cover? I have an 05 and oval button or cover. Could have been for after market trunk button that was never installed.

Paint peel? Aluminum hood can develop blisters for corrosion but that at the seams. Could have had vinyl strips that didn't remove very well or someone was careless while removing it with a screwdrive.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5. Macman45

Macman45 Resident Geriatric

Is it an automatic? Could be the shift lock release cover, to roll the car out from Park without power.

Paint blistering underneath the hood I'm not sure about. Is the hood insulator gone? if so, more heat on the paint overtime could have blistered it off

6. RetDrumSgt

RetDrumSgt Junior Member

Paint peeling.jpg

7. RetDrumSgt

RetDrumSgt Junior Member

Mustang Console.jpg

8. RetDrumSgt

RetDrumSgt Junior Member

It is an automatic.

9. Macman45

Macman45 Resident Geriatric

Then thats it. The shift interlock release to pop out of park when the engine is off so a tow truck and roll the car.

10. stkjock

stkjock ---- Madmin ---- Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator S197 Team Member

That cover is on the bezel and exactly what I was referring too above

11. RetDrumSgt

RetDrumSgt Junior Member

Thanks for the information. The car paint job is in great shape, except that area under the hood. The hood insulation is in place. This is my toy. 2008 Mustang Convertible.jpg

JJDAG, MrBhp and EBABlacknChrome like this.
  12. MrAwesome987

MrAwesome987 forum member

Car looks great! Enjoy!

13. Laga

Laga Member

Peeling paint under the hood is very common. I thought they fixed it in 07. I guess not. If you look at the lip under the front edge of hood, it is just rolled over and never sealed/welded at factory. You’re lucky. Most cars have the paint pealing on the outside. Like mine. I had to replace the hood on my 05 with a fiberglass hood.

MasterofDisaster likes this.
  14. RetDrumSgt

RetDrumSgt Junior Member

Thanks, I was wondering if it was a common problem with Mustangs in snow country. I'm definitely in snow country and it's history the car coming from Canada and Washington State, has always been snow country. The funny part there's no rust anywhere. The only thing I've had to do (my preference) I had a really good stereo/ C/D, etc with a Navigation system, phone and back up camera installed.

15. Laga

Laga Member

Sounds nice. And no rust is good. The hood is aluminum, so while it will oxidize, it will not rust. Yes, I know it’s basically the same but rust refers to iron oxide.

16. MasterofDisaster

MasterofDisaster Junior Member

My 08 had the peeling paint on the inside of the hood. I wire brushed it, primed it, and sprayed it, and it looks ok. Not great, but at least it isn't peeling.

RetDrumSgt likes this.
  17. MrBhp

MrBhp Member

Watch out wearing them fancy plaid open bottom britches when the top is down. You don't want that blowing up and blinding you. Or possibly blinding any onlookers! Nice ride, BTW!

Kyle2115 and RetDrumSgt like this.
  18. RetDrumSgt

RetDrumSgt Junior Member

Thanks for the post about painting under the hood. I had come up with a similar idea, except I'm thinking about using that stuff you see advertised on TV where they cut the boat in half and then spray it with their waterproof, rubberize material? Anyway I'm thinking that will look like it's part of the under the hood insulation. I have to check and see how it does as far as heat/fire resistant.

19. RetDrumSgt

RetDrumSgt Junior Member

MrBhp

Thanks for the warming:cheers: I've worn a kilt for over 25 years so got the flying up part under control. It's the trying to use the port a potty's at the Scottish games that takes real skill. Still get lots of looks not only at the car but the of Glengarry cap with ribbons flying..

MrBhp likes this.
  20. MrBhp

MrBhp Member

I keep saying I'm going to take the plunge and get one. I supposedly have some Scottish blood, so I figure I have to try it. Seems like the breeze would be nice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.