2011 GT Brakes...An Upgrade?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ford bumped the GT brakes from 12.4" to 13.2" in 2011. To do this they used the same basic caliper, changed the caliper mounting bracket and installed larger diameter rotors. I am expecting to do brakes on my car next year sometime and I think if I am buying new rotors anyway, I might buy the brackets to use my existing calipers on the 2011 sized rotors on my '05 GT.

Has this been done? I've searched and not found anything here. I can't justify the cost for Brembo's, but this would be a cheap small bump in braking capacity. Drilled slotted rotors, good pads and stainless braided brake lines, would be a nice upgrade.

I have the part number at home for the brackets and the list price is like about $60 ea. if I recall.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Baer has a kit for 05-10 for the bigger rotors and brackets to use stock calipers so yes it has been done just haven't seen it done with '11 parts.

ranger2339

Reaction score
Would be cool if you could, save some coin.

Are you out driving your current brakes, or just want to upgrade to upgrade?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not out driving them. I put new wheels on recently and I took the opportunity to take look at the pads and they are getting worn. I'm pretty sure they are the OE pads and the car is approaching 34,000 miles. I figure it'll be time for a brake job some time next summer. So if I gotta buy rotors, why not grab a little boost in size for a very small additional investment?

mot250

forum member
Reaction score
The only thing different are the rotors and the caliper bracket.

The same caliper is moved out farther with the new caliper mounting bracket.

Just be sure your wheels will have the necessary additional clearance.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Solid rotors will brake better than drilled/slotted, more surface area. Drilled rotors will have a tendency to crack inbetween the holes. If your read set on them, go with just slotted.
No real reason for either on a street car.

ranger2339

Reaction score
Not out driving them. I put new wheels on recently and I took the opportunity to take look at the pads and they are getting worn. I'm pretty sure they are the OE pads and the car is approaching 34,000 miles. I figure it'll be time for a brake job some time next summer. So if I gotta buy rotors, why not grab a little boost in size for a very small additional investment?

Yea then try it out man, the caliper brackets don't seem to be all that expensive.

Whats the part number for those caliper brackets?

I would be interested to see how this turns out, as it would be a decent upgrade for a decent price if you shop around.

You can also get the 2011 GT calipers used from car-part.com, for about $60 a pop.

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Whats the part number for those caliper brackets?

You can also get the 2011 GT calipers used from car-part.com, for about $60 a pop.

2B292 is the part number. $62.65 MSRP. You should be able to find them for a little less.

The '05 calipers are physically the same as the '12. They did a part number change but I've found several posts where people have interchanged them.

Last edited:

george06

forum member
Reaction score
Ford bumped the GT brakes from 12.4" to 13.2" in 2011. To do this they used the same basic caliper, changed the caliper mounting bracket and installed larger diameter rotors. I am expecting to do brakes on my car next year sometime and I think if I am buying new rotors anyway, I might buy the brackets to use my existing calipers on the 2011 sized rotors on my '05 GT.

Has this been done? I've searched and not found anything here. I can't justify the cost for Brembo's, but this would be a cheap small bump in braking capacity. Drilled slotted rotors, good pads and stainless braided brake lines, would be a nice upgrade.

I have the part number at home for the brackets and the list price is like about $60 ea. if I recall.

Originally Posted by kevinatfms
the rotor diameter was bigger on the standard brakes for the 2011+ years IIRC...the standard being the 05-09 gt rotors were 12" while the newer cars got a 13"? rotor up front. the mounting brackets were the only other thing to change. the calipers were the same i believe.

if your talking about the brembos then they are a 14"rotor with the brembo caliper.

Here you go, i just did it.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2yzk68i.jpg

here you can see the difference in the off set

http://i51.tinypic.com/2mq9usz.jpg

bracket part number

http://i54.tinypic.com/rbmmox.jpg

bracket/rotor

http://i55.tinypic.com/i4jv9x.jpg

pads on bracket

http://i52.tinypic.com/2hyjf2u.jpg

how it looks

I am finished with the installation

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
If you're buying drilled rotors then you need to stop and do a little more research because you're screwing up (unless you think looks are more important than function).

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you're buying drilled rotors then you need to stop and do a little more research because you're screwing up (unless you think looks are more important than function).

That's a discussion for a different thread. This thread is for budget front brake upgrade using factory parts.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
but you mentioned drilled rotors in your first post. They're not a good choice for a street car.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Has anyone else followed through and did this? I'm up for new rotors and pads......so this has caught my interest.

mot250

forum member
Reaction score
Steeda offers a similar upgrade for the rear brakes. A new bracket moves the stock rear caliper out to allow for a larger rear rotor. More mass means better heat management / heat transfer to the air, cooler rotor, cooler pads, cooler caliper cooler and, ultimately, cooler brake fluid.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I sold my Mustang before I got to the point where I was going to do this. It was on this summers to-do list, but not anymore.

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score
Just to add my :2cents: but my dad and I did this the other weekend on his 08' GT. Found a guy last December who upgraded his 11' to the Brembo's so we got a great deal on his parts. Got both rotors, calipers, brackets and pads for $150. Went ahead and got a set of SS lines as well. Straight forward of course as any brake swap is.

The initial bite isn't exactly up to what we were expecting. Not bad or anything don't get me wrong, just thought it would be better. That's probably due to me not doing my part as well as I should on bleeding the brakes. Will be doing them again soon. Now the stopping power/distance is noticeably better. I noticed that it felt better than what my factory 07' brakes felt. I guess the best way to put it is its better than what they were before but not quite where my 12' brakes are. Again, will be bleeding again probably to get it there.

Edit: Pics not working. Will update tonight.

RRRoamer

Reaction score
That's probably due to me not doing my part as well as I should on bleeding the brakes. Will be doing them again soon.

Do yourself a favor and get a Motive pressure bleeder. Mine has worked perfectly on every vehicle I have ever used it on (including my 05 GT) and it allows a single person to perfectly bleed and flush the brake system. Because of the constant flow out of the caliper (versus the short pulse you get with the "pump, pump, HOLD!" method of bleeding the brakes), you tend to flush out smaller air bubbles with ease. Well worth the money IMO.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back