2012 with OEM satellite radio. Is the tuner in the OEM radio?

bcb06gt

Reaction score
When adding an aftermarket radio to a 2012 Mustang that has OEM satellite radio, will a Sirius sxv300 be required to retain satellite radio being available for aftermarket stereos that are satellite radio capable like the Pioneer AVH-2440NEX? In other words, is the OEM satellite tuner integrated into the OEM stereo or is it external?

I have read old threads on various Mustang sites that are all over the place. So far, the most consistent answer I come up with is a new tuner is required, the existing satellite antenna cable can be used for the sxv300 with cable adapter (FAKRA to SMB) and then the sxv300 plugs into the Pioneer.

By the way, using the Idatalink Maestro kit for the install.
Thanks

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Why would anybody want to retain satellite radio? Sound quality is atrocious and it isn't even in stereo. If you turn the volume up at all the sound quality just falls apart. Every time an old favorite song comes up and you turn up the volume knob, it just reminds you of how bad satellite radio sucks. And worse, you have to pay for it.

Sorry for the off topic but I had to get that off my chest. And I believe the Sirius receiver is built into the radio. Good reason to replace it with a better radio without Sirius. Then you can lose the trunk wart as well.

bcb06gt

Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation. Can't deny that there is a need or want for Satellite. Just wanted to make sure I have all options for the install and then decide what is and isn't worth doing. BTW, this isn't for my car.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back