2017 F-150 Raptor

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
607540d1310145377-1992-4-door-bronco-mobile-uploads-098.jpg

that thats what im talking about, dont need that much of a lift or that much tire and rim. but thats what i want. just a big fuck off truck

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
That's like saying the new Ford GT has a Tremor motor in it.

The 3.5L EcoBoost has now entered it's tried and true stage going on almost 5 years in production.

Expeditions ditched the 5.4L for the EB and for good reason.

I agree. I haven't seen any mass major failures with the Ecoboost motors so far. I"m calling BS on turbos failing too. I"m sure alot of people said that about the powerstrokes as well and those are some of the longest lasting motors/turbos ever built.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
my uncle has had 3 turbo failures on his f350 dually. i would say that ford turbos arent the best, the cummins holeset(sp?) has lasted 210k miles without a hiccup in a 95 2500.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
All of the newer tech are more powerful and efficient. However, nothing will out last the longevity of the 2V 4.6L or 5.4L engines. Those damn things run 300-400K miles or more easily with regular maintenance. That is why so many law enforcement, fleet, and service vehicle managers loved them. I used to speak to our service guy all the time when I was a LEO and he had a crown vic that was retired from service at 90K and he had put over 400K miles on it after he got it and the damn thing still ran great. If you took care of them they were damn near bullet proof in stock(ish) form.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
All of the EB motors have BorgWarner turbos. And their track record is pretty damn impressive as it is extensive.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
so its a tremor motor in a raptor. still rathr have a tried and true 5.4 honestly

Meh, I was never really that find of the 5.4 in the trucks just felt sort of dissapointing when I compare it to my EcoBoost. Also, just fai the motor in the tremor is the same as in any Ecoboost truck.

Yeah, I miss the 351w truck motors too. That old tech was so much better.:biggrin:

My first Crown Vic had a 351W in it, I loved that thing, not much power but a pretty decent amount of torque and would just light the tires up when you wanted to. Sounded awesome as well :biggrin:

my uncle has had 3 turbo failures on his f350 dually. i would say that ford turbos arent the best, the cummins holeset(sp?) has lasted 210k miles without a hiccup in a 95 2500.

Our Powerstroke van went 368,000 miles with terrible service intervals without a hiccup until then 6.0 no less my cousin and uncle who drove it are not easy on vehicles either. Then my cousin Matt had his 6.0 last him 200,000 miles before he traded it in with several cross country trips. My friend's Dad's company has 4 6.7 450's that all have over 175,00 miles on them with only some emissions problems. So I respectfully beg to differ about Ford turbos being junk.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
I know it isn't the same but there are many reported failures and issues with the turbo 6.4L in Super Duties. That is why the 7.3's are still so popular and expensive for a old truck. I had a 03' F250 with the 5.4L, lifted on 37's and when I regeared it to 4.88's the damn thing had no problem lightening them up nor towing anything I wanted.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
Meh, I was never really that find of the 5.4 in the trucks just felt sort of dissapointing when I compare it to my EcoBoost. Also, just fai the motor in the tremor is the same as in any Ecoboost truck.

Our Powerstroke van went 368,000 miles with terrible service intervals without a hiccup until then 6.0 no less my cousin and uncle who drove it are not easy on vehicles either. Then my cousin Matt had his 6.0 last him 200,000 miles before he traded it in with several cross country trips. My friend's Dad's company has 4 6.7 450's that all have over 175,00 miles on them with only some emissions problems. So I respectfully beg to differ about Ford turbos being junk.

sure the eb may be faster, but it's a truck not a muscle car, i much rather have something reliable especially a truck meant for going out to the middle of no where with i think thats an extreme flaw in the eb raptor theres a lot that can go wrong with that engine compared to a 2v 5.4 or even 3v

i thought they pushed out a little more power than standard f150?

i want to say it was a 6.0 but the thing ate turbos, it was a daily, but easy driving/towing with it never pushed hard and went through 3 turbos. ended up ditching it and getting a 2014 350 hd

maybe it's a fluke but 3 turbos all flukes seems a bit uncoincidental imho, not saying their the worst but they're not what i would get "great" turbos either.

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Put aside the fact that there's a bunch of crap in the video about the new tires.

There's some bad-ass action shots of the new Raptor in there:

Jason09GT

forum member
Reaction score
The vgt turbos in the 6.0 motors if pussy footed around and driven like grandma, yes, they will fail. Vanes gunk up, solenoids go bad...Ford will tell you..drive it hard.

Powerstrokes in the past have used Garrett turbos.

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
I bet this EB motor will make an ass of many wanna be sport cars and diesel truck Ricers on the road. I get all sorts of pleasure during the week when driving my regular EB F150 moping the floor of the cars that think it's just another slow ass truck holding up traffic. A little brake boost at the red light with traction control turned off and 33" mudders can launch out of the hole like a scalded cat leaving the other guys scratching their heads on WTF just happend :omfg:

I have no issues with the thought of a v6 new Raptor. There are plenty of loud V8 POS, slow ass Dodge RAM's running the streets as is. All those fuckers are worst than Ricers in my neck of the woods

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I kind of want one. Can't afford another one but it looks like it's going to be a bad ass truck.

Google says they start in the low 50's. But what do they get up to when you get any of the options? Cam? Really low 50's isn't too bad. You can spend that on a Platinum easy.

I just did a regular F-150 3.5L EB FX4 build on Ford's site and it went over $50K real fast.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
In the past the Platinum and Limited would be more expensive than the Raptor's MSRP... but you need to remember that the Raptor does not have any rebates or A/Z/X/D Plan purchasing.

3.5L EcoBoost's have had a pretty good record if they are the truck counterpart (ie F-150/Expedition). Our shop has had to replace quite a bit of them in the Explorer Sports and SHO. Slew of issues from cracked blocks, excessive ticking, dropping a cylinder, and more.

Badass. I love the Centurion C150/C350 series.

Last edited:

VA Raptor

forum member
Reaction score
The pricing was released last week (found here) for the 2017 Raptor and there's roughly a $4K increase in the MSRP from the 2014s:

2014 MSRP
SuperCab - $44,415
SuperCrew - $47,315

2017 MSRP
SuperCab - $48,325
SuperCrew - $51,310

A fully optioned SuperCrew will be close to $70K after taxes and such, plus whatever ADM is added.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Yeah, I spec'd out one today in Lightning Blue and it was $70,005.

Tempted, but not crazy about an EcoBoost in a truck like this.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back