2v to 3v swap

slo08gt

Slow Mustang Driver
Reaction score
I have a 2002 GT with a built stroker shortblock and a built 470rw. I also have a 2008 GT with the sr55s. I would like to use the 2v block and tranny in the 2008 since I plan on racing quite a bit and have no faith in spending money on an sr55s. I want to swap blocks so I can run boost on the 08. My 02 has a Vortech T trim set up with after cooler. I would sell the supercharger and get a kit for the 08. I know the heads will fit either (not sure about issues that are involved). What about the transmissions? I have a spare 470rw for the 02 and plan to keep it as a n/a set up. What do I need to run the 470 in the 08 controller wise? I don't know if I can use the supercharger head unit in the 08 and just buy the rest of the kit to save money.

Specs.
stroker 300 cu. in. stock 02 block - Eagle rods and crank, Arias pistons 9:50 compression.
470rw built by BC automotive with Dirty dog 3200 stall converter and cooler

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
You can bolt your 3V heads, valvetrain components, and intake manifold onto the built 2V block and run it with the 08 3V ECU.
Your biggest challenge will be getting an ECU that's programmed to run the 5R55S to play nice with the 4R70W. One possible solution is to disable the programming in the ECU altogether so that it thinks the car has a manual transmission, and run your 4R70W with a manual valve body.

slo08gt

Slow Mustang Driver
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.Would the US shift controller be an option. Looks like it would run the 470rw independent of the the cars ECU.
......Is your 06 Torch red? If so you have excellent taste.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Yup, torch red with black racing stripes, chrome 18" Bullitt wheels, and a black/charcoal interior. :D

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The US shift controller works well with a 4R70 so that is the easiest way.
As long as you have the correct timing cover you can run any of the modular heads on it. You may need a set of motor mount adapters for the iron block.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
--I know the heads will fit either (not sure about issues that are involved). --

Just a heads up .. to use 3v heads with a 2v piston you need an exhaust valve relief notched into the piston otherwise you'll have contact.

Ford used a nothched piston in the 5.3L Stroker Short-Block that works with 2/3/4v heads..

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Unless you are running huge duration numbers, you don't need the pistons notched.
When I built my motor, I used the clay method to check PTV clearance. I didn't even see a dent on the clay for the exhaust valve so I mocked it up with 10 degrees advance (100 degree ICL) and 10 degrees of retard (120 degree ICL) just for science and there was still barely a dent in the clay with the 10 degrees of retard with a 227 @0.050 duration cam.

Parker Lewis

forum member
Reaction score
Figured I'd post on this thread.......I'm actively doing my 3V swap now into a 2001 mustang gt, literally a ten year mission waiting for life to happen and then finally started the swap in 2019. I'm doing full suspension and the entire drive train upgrades also so it's taken me a awhile with a couple hours workings on it here and there. I've got the 3V engine in the car and am working on the heater core feed lines now, then will get the intake bolted up and figure out the 2V IAC and a couple other odds and ends. I'll be using the 2V ECU so I have the VCT locked out and the intake runner butterfly valve delete plates. I also have a cable driven throttle body since the 2V ECU can't control the 3V drive by wire T-body. Getting there slowly.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back