3.73:1 vs 4.10:1 gears

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
4.10's it is then! That's been predominantly the answer across multiple sources. Go big, or go home!
Yep, I wish I had listened 6 years ago, but it was still my daily driver then. She is semi retired now and will only get faster, assuming I have time to actually work on her! LOL I have tons of parts that have been sitting on the shelf waiting to go on. Hot Rod cams, Kooks LTs, etc.

Balthazor72

Reaction score
Yep, I wish I had listened 6 years ago, but it was still my daily driver then. She is semi retired now and will only get faster, assuming I have time to actually work on her! LOL I have tons of parts that have been sitting on the shelf waiting to go on. Hot Rod cams, Kooks LTs, etc.
Lol...wish I was in your shoes. I have the time but no parts. You seem to be putting in the same parts I want.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Also a FRPP timing kit (when the cams go in), BMR relo brackets and adjustable LCAs (lowered on FRPP K springs) and Koni orange shocks/struts. I need to take two weeks off and git ‘er done!
Oh and a MGW shifter

Last edited:

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
It might be just me, but I feel getting those gears exactly right is one of the hardest things to do on a car. It can be very expensive if not done exactly right. Then again with open headers, gear noise is not an issue.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
It might be just me, but I feel getting those gears exactly right is one of the hardest things to do on a car. It can be very expensive if not done exactly right. ..........

One must decide which gear is NEEDED for the use the car is intended. Unless you just WANT to be able to say "I got 4.10s! lol

Balthazor72

Reaction score
Also a FRPP timing kit (when the cams go in), BMR relo brackets and adjustable LCAs (lowered on FRPP K springs) and Koni orange shocks/struts. I need to take two weeks off and git ‘er done!
Oh and a MGW shifter
I like the Barton short throw to keep the stock look. But the work you have ahead of you sounds fun!

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I read someplace that 3.73 will hit the rev limiter a little over 60mph in first giving the best 0-60 times. Maybe true and maybe not. Then you never want to have to go into 5th just before the 1/4 finish line. Better to hit the rev limiter a few feet after the finish line.

I find that hard to believe. My 2010 auto with rev limit set to 6250, and rear tires between a min of 26.6...... and a max of 27.4...... + a 3.31 rear gear will only do 43.5 mph in 1st gear.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Only an idiot would say this is silly. A "Rev Limiter" is very real on Coyote motors before 2015. Usually somewhere around 6800 plus or minus 50. I would like to set it up to about 7200 with an all stock tune. Any ideas??? The 2018's are around 7400 in stock form. Tire sizes for the Coyote Mustangs are in between 26 to 27 inches. I had 235 50 18s on my Base Mustang GT. Changed over to 255 45 18's Run Flats that are just ever so slightly smaller. Most of these Coyote Mustangs are doing between 12 and 13 seconds in the 1/4 and from 110 to 120mph. Now that depends on track temp tune weight and a whole lot of other things.
And an inexperienced douche would say this. /\

Owners racing these cars have tunes and the limiter can be set where they want. Many use tire sizes that aren’t stock size, some guys here have run tires from 25.4” to 29”

Lastly, your self admitted ignorance that the OP wasn’t running a coyote confirms my thought.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I guess I was a few years off.

Coyote is what Coyote does.

I find that hard to believe. My 2010 auto with rev limit set to 6250, and rear tires between a min of 26.6...... and a max of 27.4...... + a 3.31 rear gear will only do 43.5 mph in 1st gear.
As I said, maybe true and maybe not. You can never believe what you read.

Last edited by a moderator:

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Of course it's true! I read it on the internet!
It also might be second gear. Then it does seem 05 to 10 Mustang GTs do have a rev limiter set by the factory at 6250. Again maybe true and maybe not. Then 11 to 14s set at 6800 plus or minus 50. Now that is true except of course for the Boss. Then 18s are 7400. Who knows for the 15 to 17s? What ever combo you have, there is something about not having to shift to fifth 100 feet from the finish line.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score

You’ll love that upgrade for sure, I went from stock to adding intake, cams, LT’s, off-road X, shifter and the 3.73’s and it woke the car up, obviously. It’s just my weekend play thing and it’s a lot of fun even if it’s not even close to the fastest thing out there.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
I’ve got the CAI, tune and 3:73s, wish I had gone with the 4:10s

Last edited:

tabstang

Reaction score
I ran 4.10's with a 2.6l Whipple with an aggressive tune - great on hole shots but I had to be real ready to shift, the rev limiter came up WAY fast. Some asshole ran into and totaled that car and I let the 4.10 go to the salvage yard. Somebody got lucky on that one, only had 45K on it, less than 15 on the upgrades. The only downside I saw was if I wanted to drift / play around doing burnouts etc. I couldn't really stay in 1st gear - and stepping up to 2nd could get a little hairy.

As to MPG I can't say I really paid attention but it was fine in terms of RPM on the highway. I cruised 80-85 and it never bothered me.

Now I'm running a 0.9l Roush with 3.55's - no real complaints but you have to get into some serious RPMs to launch it. With the Whipple / 4.10 setup it was instant-on with the gas pedal alone (racing clutch). I gotta say it was a lot of fun!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back