3v trans

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. The search button at the top the page is your friend. Lots of information on this forum going back 15 years.

If you want the best and got the money, google sequential tremec transmission.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
Love my TR6060... But I do wish I had the separate bell housing of the T56.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
The shifter location in the S197 is pretty far back, so it really limits your options. The TR-6060 and Magnum XL are both popular options, as with most things it depends how much money you've got, and how much power you plan to make.

Make sure you take the gearing for each trans into account per your application (ratio of each gear, spacing between each, rear gear and tire height options), I feel like that gets overlooked quite a bit.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Magnum = no shift linkage. Shifter is tailshaft mounted.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Did anything come factory with the T56 Mag XL? As in, anything to look for wrecked? Looks like they are quite pricey new.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Did anything come factory with the T56 Mag XL? As in, anything to look for wrecked? Looks like they are quite pricey new.
Not as far as I know. Tremec designed the case specifically for the S197 using T56 internals, and for easy high rpm shifting. Those are the two major differences of the XL.
Anything from a wreck will have the remote mounted shifter.
If you don't care about the shifter being integral, then your best option IMO is the 6060.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Looking for the best to street and track the car I have been looking at the magnum but figured I'd ask everyones opinion that may have experience

If you're looking at the 1/4 mile track go with a built automatic. The stock 5R55s needs to be built to handle power. Other wise you can go with a 4R70W but I don't think that has an overdrive.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Other wise you can go with a 4R70W but I don't think that has an overdrive.

The 4R70W does have an overdrive but it only has four forward ratios:
  • First: 2.84 :1
  • Second: 1.55 :1
  • Third: 1.00 :1
  • Overdrive: 0.70 :1
  • Reverse: 2.32 :1
A Lentech built 4R70W would be great for the dragstrip. The only downside is the widely spaced ratios so you need it to be bolted behind an engine that has a wide and flat torque curve.
The 4R70W was manufactured in large numbers so it's easy to find one cheap and have it built. Just make sure it came from a Ford model with the 4.6 Modular engine so that it has the correct bellhousing bolt pattern.

If you're looking for a manual tranny, the Tremec T56 Magnum XL is a great choice and you can choose a set of ratios that fits your needs.

Last edited:

Kenneth Crouch

Reaction score
I wanna build the car to be around 800 wheel HP
And have tossed up whether I should get 3.73 or 4.10 for it just haven't quite decided yet also plan to make it s/c still debating beans on that as well

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tremec XL is a great transmission but like all transmission swaps these days, they are very pricey.

Due to the astronomical costs of getting one in Canada, I elected to go with a used TR6060, a used McLeod RST clutch, a new aluminum driveshaft, and a new MGW shifter for about 1/3 of the price. The shifting with an MGW Gen 2 shifter on a TR6060 is light years better than a TR3650 with a barton shifter.

Get the 2.97 first gear if you are going to drag race it.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I can recommend the T56 Mag XL with the 2.66 first and the .80 5th and .63 6th. It’s like a 6 speed close ratio.
This ^^^. I'm seriously considering it for my NA 4.6, specifically for the close ratios.

You'd be saying goodbye to the big gap between the 3650's 2nd and 3rd, welcome to a much more usable 5th, and you still get to keep a fairly lazy top gear ratio for highway cruising. But choose your axle ratio and tire sizes carefully - 1st is kind of on the tall side and most people are probably going to want 4.10's.

I agree with Red, you'll want the 2.97 low with the 0.80 / 0.63 overdrives for drag racing. But maybe keep the 0.80 / 0.63 overdrive ratios. The 0.75 / 0.50 overdrives might be too tall unless you've added a fair amount of midrange torque (i.e. forced induction of some sort).

Norm

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
It depends on what kind of power or torque you're making. When I was talking to D&D performance about mine, they advised for stock or near stock (like a N/A bolt-on engine), you'll want the 2.97 T56 since the 2.66's ratios are too tall to be fun on the street. For an engine making a lot more, you'd want the 2.66 since it can handle the taller gearing and you'd be shifting too often with the 2.97. Based on my experience with my car, I'd agree (350 RWHP, 2.97 T56)

I did have the overdrive gears swapped in from the 2.66 into my 2.97 originally, it was a huge drop in RPM from 4th to 5th and I'd be doing 1500RPM on the highway. Good in gas milage, but had to downshift to go around people it even going up big hills. Glad I went back to the standard 2.97 ratios. This is all w/ 3.73's in back, BTW

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
Anything over stock power the 2.66 first will be faster for drag racing as well
I am around 500hp and have a 13 6060 with the 2.66 gears and 4.10s and it awesome, if I had more power I’d step down in rear gear. I had a road course day on a shorter track this week and was thinking how much I loved the trans vs thinking back to when I ran the 3650 (both with mgw)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back