4.0 engine Build

tabstang

Reaction score
I slapped a Vortec kit on my first s197, a 2008 V6 - SUPER easy job, I was amazed at the simplicity of that kit.
https://vortechsuperchargers.com/pr...os=3&_sid=9040a7b9a&_ss=r&variant=35174866378
I got it cheap, Vortec sold one on ebay and I got lucky. Maybe find a used one somewhere? (Pretty rare though.)
It bumped HP to 290-ish (never dyno-ed it), which TRANSFORMED that car. You can squeeze a LOT more HP out of that kit with just pulleys, plus adding an intercooler system.
I agree with flapjack, you gotta get an 8.5 rear end - you'll need that with any HP upgrade. That is also a super-simple swap. I think they're pretty durable, I'd be comfortable swapping in anything under 100k from a GT.
I did find an exhaust solution that sounded great on the 4.0 - I used Ford Motorsport's 4.0 true dual pipes, along with stock Mustang GT mufflers, and added an anti-resonance chamber. I was amazed how good it sounded.
I sold that car cuz I really wanted a manual trans but looking back I kinda wish I'd done a tranny swap and kept it. You don't see many hopped up V-6s and people loved it at cars n coffee etc.
So your decision as I see it is, how much work are you willing to put into the car - a V8 swap is much more difficult for about 305 HP which ain't a lot. Upping the V6 would be easier IMO. Cost? Just gotta add it all up and see, hard to say which is cheaper.

Justin Bradford

Reaction score
I think I’m going to go with 3v route. I think money wise is smarter for me since I’m still 17 and reliablity would probably be a factor. I would be willing to put in the work however and I just am almost done with a manual swap on the car and I already have a turbo kit for the vehicle. Everything I would need is there. I’ve even got the Cobra flange for the 8.8. But I think even though I’m invested deep in this car that before I invest more that I should look at the bigger picture

Tman

forum member
Reaction score
No matter what you build there will always be something bigger better and faster. Do what makes you happy(and what you can afford of course). I had a supercharged 4.0 V-6. Absolutely loved it. Super fun car and very unique. However wasnt much faster than a stock 4.6 GT. And wouldn’t keep up with the coyotes for too long. Currently have a supercharged 4.6. It’s Definitely much faster however I have no regrets about supercharging the 4.0. Even though it wasn’t as fast it was a super fun car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
b46a755444e7159e522500b544ec64e3.jpg

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back