4.0 short tube vs long tube headers while rebuilding my motor

Cancerman

Reaction score
Starting my 4.0 rebuild, removing my dead motor now. Going to start collecting parts. I'm considering adding headers while the motor's out. Short tube vs Long tube, thoughts and experience with either. Car already has Cold air, muffler mod, high perf coils, stage 2 clutch, also looking at if the larger throttle body would add anything useful. This is a stick car, and of course I'll be doing a custom tune. Thanks for your inputs.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
A larger throttle body will do diddly squat on the low revving 4.0 motor so save your money for something else like the underdrive harmonic balancer I suggested in a previous post.
Long tube headers would be the preferred choice but check first if they're street legal in FL, as they could fail a visual inspection. A pair of shorties would be a waste of money on the 4.0 V6 because none of them (even the JBA) have sufficient primary tube length to offer any useful performance gain.

Tman

forum member
Reaction score
As Dino said forget the aftermarket throttle body. Also should consider going back to the stock coil they’re better and more reliable than the aftermarket ones for the most part.
As far as headers go if there’s nothing wrong with your stock exhaust manifolds you would be wise to keep them. They are a decent design very durable and flow well. The short tubes will do practically nothing for your performance and the long tubes will require you to eliminate your catalytic converter’s or replace them with hi flows. This can be problematic with o2 sensorswhich could be very expensive. Or illegal if you delete them on a car that’s used on the street. “Gotta do your part and follow the green laws for the planet and all”.
You mentioned you have a muffler mod not sure what that’s all about. But for the money the best performance gain I’ve seen on the 40 short of boost is a good cold air intake and a True duel cat back conversion. All of this information has been covered many times on this form. Should be easy to search and find these answers before you spend your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cancerman

Reaction score
IMG_20220209_180959567.jpg
Sometimes I think they build these cars to never ever be worked on. What a pain.....onward we go...............

Cancerman

Reaction score
Gonna run it with the simple mods I have on it for awhile. I've got it running and am sorting out the instrument change, Forscan work, etc. Car seems to run well so far. IMG_20220302_182135467.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back