4.0 to 3.7 V6 swap

Discussion in 'Hardcore Tech=*MOTOR SWAPS*' started by TARA-fied1, Sep 21, 2022.

1. TARA-fied1

TARA-fied1 Member

I cleaned up the 2012 HVAC unit, it was disgustingly dirty...
    I also ordered a Motorcraft actuator. Should be here today. Image - Copy (118).jpeg

GlassTop09 likes this.
  2. golkhl

golkhl forum member

Any plans for headers or other performance mods?

3. TARA-fied1

TARA-fied1 Member

I have priced a few things. I'm not going to do headers because I really want to get the ecoboost twin turbos from F150 or SHO. I am going to upgrade the the clutch and get a Barton shifter. The 07 already had a Pypes off road dual exhaust so I will use that for now. I am also looking into getting a "tuner" so I can play with that. Might need one just to make it run! I also have a 3.73 ring and pinion so i will swap the gears and replace the pinion seal and maybe the clutches in the rear before I install it.

4. TARA-fied1

TARA-fied1 Member

Weather went from 70's & 80's to 30's & 40's like it saw a cop. I'm going to put one of my other cars in storage so I can move the 07 into the garage. I had another project going on as well (swapping a pushrod 5.0 V8 into a 3.8 V6 92 T-Bird). It's mobile now so I can free up some more space!
    It's too cold for me outside, my hands don't work around freezing temps!
    297461828_590156309155981_6690288077137137544_n.jpg
    Image - Copy (4).jpeg

5. Juice

Juice forum member

The offroad pipe is going to be a CEL issue. You are going to a Copperhead PCM, a tad more complex than the ole' 4.0.
    That said, if you just want to adjust for a cold air intake (tune required CAI) and gears, I have an DS InTune (two actually) for basic tuning of my other cars.
    While it will not let you disable O2 sensors, I found that it actually disables cat monitoring using the preloaded performance tunes. I cannot confirm it will do the same for yours, but that was my experience. Cat monitoring went to "not available" after loading the DS tune.

I picked up the last I2 on flee bay for $220 bucks (new old stock). Pretty reasonable if you just need to tweak a near stock setup.

TARA-fied1 likes this.
  6. TARA-fied1

TARA-fied1 Member

Thanks, that is just the advice I needed. I will look into Diablo Sport tuners. I wasn't sure what to get so again thanks very much!

7. TARA-fied1

TARA-fied1 Member

finally got some time this week to tinker. I put an old trailer axle under the 12 and managed to get it on a trailer (hopefully the neighbors will feel better now!). The axle was too narrow so I bolted wheels on backwards and racthet straped it to the car. It worked but was pretty sketchy!!! lol
    Image - Copy (122).jpeg
    Image - Copy (123).jpeg

8. TARA-fied1

TARA-fied1 Member

I have the 8.8 set-up (hillbilly style) to change the ring and pinion and seals before swapping it into the 07
    Image - Copy (124).jpeg

I also managed to get the 07 in the garage so I can work on it in bad weather!
    Image - Copy (126).jpeg

9. TARA-fied1

TARA-fied1 Member

I am getting the 2012 harness in place. I also put in the clutch pedal assembly. Slow but steady progress!
    Image - Copy (127).jpeg
    Image - Copy (129).jpeg Image - Copy (132).jpeg
    Image - Copy (130).jpeg

Dino Dino Bambino likes this.
  10. TARA-fied1

TARA-fied1 Member

The 2012 harness is in the car, interior and under hood all worked out great. I'm at the tail lights and trunk latch now. That's going to take some thinking. The 2012 bulbs won't work in the 07 housings. Trunk latch is also different as well as 3rd brake light. But that won't keep it from running. I think I will move on to the rear axle, parking brake and fuel tank next.
    Image - Copy (137).jpeg
    Image - Copy (138).jpeg

konablue11gt likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.