4.6 3v and 5.4 3v parts interchange

Tylus

Bullitt #6451
Reaction score
I know there has got to be a thread or 10 out there about which parts from each motor are interchangeable.

I'm considering grabbing a blown up 5.4 3v Shortblock from a local shop and doing a slight bore over, possible even a stroker. Then re-using every single part I can from my 4.6 3v to keep the costs down

links would be much appreciated. thx

jtscuba02

forum member
Reaction score
Deck Height is different, so intake wouldn't work and timing chain would have to be from the 5.4. Wasn't someone working on adapter plates for the intake?

Tylus

Bullitt #6451
Reaction score
but what about the other parts/pieces? So far deck height is different so I can't use intake and timing chains

I can get a stock intake for dirt cheap (aka free) that I have left over from Roushcharging my 2006 5.4 3v F-150. So not worried about that aspect.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Exhaust will need to be custom made. I don't know of any stock type manifolds that will work and all the 5.4 headers are for the 4v. Should be able to reuse all the acc. just may need 5.4 brackets. I think JPC makes an intake that will work or you may have to get their intake in pieces and weld it up for the 5.4.

Earl

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
Exhaust will need to be custom made. I don't know of any stock type manifolds that will work and all the 5.4 headers are for the 4v. Should be able to reuse all the acc. just may need 5.4 brackets. I think JPC makes an intake that will work or you may have to get their intake in pieces and weld it up for the 5.4.

Earl
Actually the stock exhaust manifold will work with the 3v 5.4 and I don't think you have to modify the rest of the exhaust. The block is a little wider though and thats the reason for custom fitting your own intake to avoid having to use the truck intake

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
Yes the heads fit exactly the same. But if you have a 4.6 with any sort of PD blower then you can forget trying to use it with the 5.4 because of the width. You just have to fab an intake manifold to fit, so if you are turbo or centri then you will be alright

Rene06GT

low 12s for now....
Reaction score
That its exactly what I wanted to know. I just got a whipple and thought that if I could reuse the head I can keep the blower but guess not.... That so sucks.

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
Yea its pretty gay, it'd be nice to be able to put that on a 5.4. You'd have to fabricate a lower intercooler portion to make it wider to fit onto the heads properly it would be a major pain in the arse.

Last edited:

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
GT500 blowers are going pretty cheap....wouldn't take much to fab up a lower intake for it....very simple actually...

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
Well thats about the same as fabricating something for his whipple already isnt it

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
GT500 blowers are going pretty cheap....wouldn't take much to fab up a lower intake for it....very simple actually...

Fab some lower manifolds that allow a gt500 blower to be used on a 4.6 3v and you will make alot of money.

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
Haha right. It's just not worth it, it seems, to try and fab something like this plus I bet its hard to do

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Or... Sidemount a GT500 blower, fab a sheetmetal inlet and outlet, run it to an air to air intercooler and back into the stock intake.

I think it's time to take my meds and get a blizzard.

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
I wonder how much power you would be able to get outta the gt500 blower on a 4.6. Maybe 500whp or so?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back