5.0 swap into a 3.7 v6 car

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
so I'm wondering if any of you guys know what is the same and was is different on a 2011-12 3.7 to 5.0 in the drivetrain/electronics departmet.

I just purchased a light collison salvage 2011 3.7 v6 I plan to pull the v6 drivetrain sell it and install a tr6060 6 spd and the new boss ford racing motor . this car is for a race car "road race " build.

I'm trying to figure out what else will need changed .

obviously the pcm and engine harness .

this is what I'm trying to figure out

1. gas tank. pump and fuel line to engine compartment
  2. main body harness
  3. dash harness
  4. bcu
  5. sjb

Mountain

forum member
Reaction score
I know this is a little late (I saw your post about your NASA AI build for a turbo 3.7), but the fuel pump and fuel tank are the same for V6 and GT. The main body harnesses (including the dash) should all, also, be the same. For sure the engine/powertrain harnesses are different. Im not sure about the BCM and SJB, although the SJB may be the same.

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
if it were me, I'd turbo the 3.7. I am sure the 3.7 with some boost could produce comparable numbers to a stock 5.0 with bolt ons.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
if it were me, I'd turbo the 3.7. I am sure the 3.7 with some boost could produce comparable numbers to a stock 5.0 with bolt ons.

Road racing requires sustained high-RPMs and WOT. A turbo 3.7 would not be as reliable as a nearly-stock BOSS 302 motor.

Ford Racing makes a stand-alone computer for the Coyote/RoadRunner motor. I would ditch all of the computers and wiring from the stock car, install the stand-alone computer, and get a universal wiring kit from Painless to run the lights and accessories.

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
Road racing requires sustained high-RPMs and WOT. A turbo 3.7 would not be as reliable as a nearly-stock BOSS 302 motor.

Ford Racing makes a stand-alone computer for the Coyote/RoadRunner motor. I would ditch all of the computers and wiring from the stock car, install the stand-alone computer, and get a universal wiring kit from Painless to run the lights and accessories.

The standalone computer doesn't work very well based on my research.

Examples:http://forums.corral.net/forums/gt-sohc/1322700-ffrp-coyote-5-0-crate-engine-swaps-suck.html

http://forums.corral.net/forums/s-1...wap-how-engine-controls-pack-working-out.html

Mountain

forum member
Reaction score
I like EFI-Unlimited's reply in the second thread. Although, I think FR should have some sort of disclaimer indicating that the system may require additional tuning per your specific application.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Motec stand-alone ECUs are compatible with the Coyote, as well, if you want to spend the dough.

Cheyne

Reaction score
I think the reason Steve is looking at a turbo 3.7 is that the series he runs in, American Iron, is hp to weight based. Specifically 9.5:1. So making to much HP is as bad as not making enough. With the turbo, and I have talk to him about doing this for my 3.7L, you could have several tunes with different boost. Then depending on the track dial in the HP you want and make sure you have the correct weight. So go to Road America spin the boost way up, but go to Blackhawk Farms and dial it down. With the Boss, which is great in ST2, you would have to run a restrictor plate and a lot of weight in American Iron which he has already done. The 3.7L has a ton of potential and in some classes is a way better choice than the Boss with or without the turbo.

Cheyne

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
Also, the power to weight ratios are based on peak power. If you can produce more hp/tq down low without exceeding the peak number you would definitely have an advantage.

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
[QUOTERoad racing requires sustained high-RPMs and WOT. A turbo 3.7 would not be as reliable as a nearly-stock BOSS 302 motor.
][/QUOTE]

I've seen two 10k boss motors go boom this year . If I go boom it's 2500-3000 for a new motor.

with the current electronic boost controllers im confident I can build a tq hp power curve that looks better then a boss motor.

keep in mind that it's pwr to weight . I'm only looking for 60-85hp 3-4 lbs of boost . not looking for something crazy like 15-20lbs. at 3-4lbs I will hardly be even pushing the turbo.

my only concern is the strength of the 3.7 under constant high rpm's with the boost

Cheyne

Reaction score
I know mine doesn't have boost, but we set the rev limiter at 7400 for the better part of the year, but at the SCCA Runoffs it was bumped first to 7700 and finally to 8000rpm. Knock on wood, but we never had a problem with motor. We changed the oil after ever weekend using Redline SAE 40. The only real problem with the 3.7L was gas mileage which was kind of joke in the paddock due to the Ford commercials for the great economy of the 3.7L. At Road America I was getting around 6mph. Anything more than a 45 minute race would have been a problem.

Cheyne

Cheyne

SStang

forum member
Reaction score
What about the 3.5 out of an F150? I thought I heard it's the same motor just a smaller bore with forged pistons.

Stampede.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Lock the cams, or at least lock the exhaust cams. Then you have 10 times as many EMS choices. You could even run megasquirt.

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
the 5.0 swap would be very inefficient due to the cost...ecu/harness/engine. Need to think about those first and then see about if the transmission will bolt up to the 5.0 as well as the driveshaft....motor mounts....

Since your interested in road racing what i would look into for sustained rpms (depending on track) would be Cams, to bump that redline up with top end power, rear end gears, depending what track this will change up the rpm range within the turns, and a supercharger if you looking for more power per rpm + you dont have to worry about that turbo lag.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
the 5.0 swap would be very inefficient due to the cost...ecu/harness/engine. Need to think about those first and then see about if the transmission will bolt up to the 5.0 as well as the driveshaft....motor mounts....

Since your interested in road racing what i would look into for sustained rpms (depending on track) would be Cams, to bump that redline up with top end power, rear end gears, depending what track this will change up the rpm range within the turns, and a supercharger if you looking for more power per rpm + you dont have to worry about that turbo lag.

You just replied to a thread that's 6+ months old.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Back