5R55S auto to manual conversion

A Flash of Red

Reaction score
This is my first real post here, so be gentle…and yes, I did search, but most posts are about 5 speed manual to 6 speed manual swaps or inherently week auto to inherently strong auto swaps…So, assuming the Tremec T56 S197 Magnum actually sees the light of day, what would it take to covert my 5R55S automatic to this 6 speed manual? The obvious parts include: T56, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, trans mount, drive shaft, manual pedal assembly. As far as the less obvious, small parts, what else would be needed?

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The bellhousing is part of the transmission you are buying. You wouldn't need another one. The clutch and flywheel are pretty obvious and will be needed. You will need the pedal assembly as well, and someone correct me if i am wrong here, but a new Brake Master Cylinder as the clutch is hydraulic and shared with the brake master cylinder. Trans mount and Driveshaft will be a yes as well. Depending on if the trans comes with it or not, you will need a slave cylinder and the hydraulic line that goes from the slave to the master cylinder. After that I think you might be set. Then you can remove the trans cooler and associated lines from the auto to save weight lol.

A Flash of Red

Reaction score
A new Brake Master Cylinder, a Slave Cylinder and the hydraulic line that goes from the slave to the master. Got it. Any idea if there is any fabrication involved with this swap, or was Ford kind enough to punch all the holes necessary for a manual and automatic transmission at the same time?

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Technically you don't need a brake master cylinder. I believe Ron was referring to the brake fluid reservoir. The automatic cars reservoir has the nipple where the hose attaches, it just doesn't have a hole in it. You could clip the end off and use the existing reservoir, or spend $20 or so and get one for an automatic.

A Flash of Red

Reaction score
As I understand it, my stock automatic PCM can be configured for use with a manual, is that correct?

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

JPO8GT

forum member
Reaction score
This may be helpful:

http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=58cPath=108_95

Are you going to drag race? If the answer is yes, then I'd leave that 5R55S in there, have it tuned properly, and throw on a higher stall converter and go racin! A human can't shift as fast or precise as the computer can controlling the 5R55S.

HTH

Mike

I second this opinion.. And if it were posible and you ever get good enough to out perform the computer shifts you will have a worn out ride by then... but maybe you just want to hold a stick and have a clutch to dump.. sometimes i would like a manual trans to play around with.. but for drag racing a properly tuned auto has the advantage.........

Last edited:

Torch Red GT

forum member
Reaction score
This is my first real post here, so be gentle…and yes, I did search, but most posts are about 5 speed manual to 6 speed manual swaps or inherently week auto to inherently strong auto swaps…So, assuming the Tremec T56 S197 Magnum actually sees the light of day, what would it take to covert my 5R55S automatic to this 6 speed manual? The obvious parts include: T56, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, trans mount, drive shaft, manual pedal assembly. As far as the less obvious, small parts, what else would be needed?

Hey ive seen you on camustangs. anyways i can help you out with the swap if you want to go 5 speed manual i have a bunch of parts you could use for the swap and a lot of info since i did the swap too.

A Flash of Red

Reaction score
A whole lot more than I would like to. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $5,000.00 to $6,000.00.

sid

forum member
Reaction score
I just did an auto to manual swap although it was a 3650. Hawg is right on the brake fluid reservoir, just clip the end of the nipple off and slide the hose on. You will also need a engine harness for a manual car, the shifter isolator boot, the short harness that goes from the dash harness to the clutch pedal switches. Make sure you use the brake pedal switch from a manual car as the auto switches are shorter and will keep the brake lights on.

Anthony05GT

forum member
Reaction score
You're welcome. If you need any help at all PM me. I've done a few of these, but not a 6 speed. That's easy to navigate though. Good luck, it's not a bad job.

I suggest you hold out a little and find a used take off transmission. Believe me, they are out there, just be patient.

JPO8GT

forum member
Reaction score
I second this opinion.. And if it were posible and you ever get good enough to out perform the computer shifts you will have a worn out ride by then... but maybe you just want to hold a stick and have a clutch to dump.. sometimes i would like a manual trans to play around with.. but for drag racing a properly tuned auto has the advantage.........

I dont know that i was totaly correct when i posted this.. I have met some sick stick shift drivers.. That can smoke some drivers no matter what the trans.. The driver makes all the diffrence!!

And when i said ud have a worn out ride it was most likely i was reffering to my ex wife and how went through clutches on her 98 model.. The ride didnt wear out..
An auto has its advantages for certin drivers I being one of them.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back