5r55s Broken, Options?

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I finally got my car to the dyno and wouldn't ya know it, the tranny went during a pull! Actually it went after a pull, just as they were getting ready for another pull. Pulled it into gear and found nothing there, forward, reverse, etc. So I'm having it towed to a transmission shop to see what happened, I'm assuming it will be the input shaft. But worse case, who builds the best 5r55s trannies? I've heard of level 10 or PA, is one better than the other or is there another alternative? Also what's the best converter? Precision Industries triple disc? I figure if its getting pulled might as well put something decent back in and not waste a bunch of money on the stock junk..unless its a minor repair, which never happens for me.

Car is procharged 12lbs boost, ran high 11's but just installed FRPP intake, TB, blower cams and 60# injectors and was getting it tuned when this happened.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
9e22e8e0.gif

please review the posting rules.

If you are going to race the car consistently, forget the 5r55s and get a 4r70w

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
If you are going to race the car consistently, forget the 5r55s and get a 4r70w

But, even so, you still have to get a good 4r from a reputable shop; when you break one at only 500 hp, you have a problem, too (thanks a lot, "L"-brand for the crap).

Yes you most likely broke the input shaft.

With 12 psi of boost, what power did you put down? IMO, if you're hanging around 500 or less, with some mods to the transmission, a 5R55S is not a bad option. I beat the crap out of mine for over a year with 500 to the wheels, and it never gave any issues. But I had a hardened input shaft and billet servos to help hold the abuse.

There's a couple p/i converters for sale for the 5r, and those are very good converters. For a 4r70, you'd need a different converter, and a lot of other crap to make it work right. That is one conversion I kind of regretted, going from a 5r55 to a 4r70, but I don't worry (too much) about it breaking. It cost a lot of money to set it up, and the driveability of the 5r was much easier and better, I thought.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
But, even so, you still have to get a good 4r from a reputable shop; when you break one at only 500 hp, you have a problem, too (thanks a lot, "L"-brand for the crap).

well goes for any set up now doesn't it.

Paps

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, i know at least 3 people here including me that broke their 5R in the last 3 months!
I was puzzled about swapping to a manual (with upgrades), then went with a hardened input shaft, upgraded pressure relief valve and a Tci torque converter (yeah, i know about TCI.... But that was the only option for me as i was leaving US because PI needs time to build the converter.)
If you re use your 5R, you'd better to remember or mark matching sensor/plug to avoid...Cel codes. Ask me how i know.... In fact output sensor is not the worst, but you can mix input and intermediate sensors harness when re installing.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
I broke my 5R55S last year. Probably at just under 500 RWHP.

I went with a TCI 'Street Fighter' complete transmission, and then added a hardened input shaft, PI triple disk converter, TCI billet servos, and a deep pan.

I love it so far. It wasn't the cheapest option by far, it was actually too fucking expensive, but it was easy and effective.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
It was the input shaft, sheared the end clean off! The dyno tuning wasn't done yet and actually had some very choppy, weird graphs probably due to the POS convertor that was in service at the time. It was hitting around 415rwhp before it broke, and without full timing. I ended up ordering a level 10 tranny and while talking to Dave on the phone he mentioned they offer billet convertors custom tuned and matched to the tranny and my car. He said they're as good or better than the PI or Circle D, etc. so I decided to give that a try too. They custom build each order but it only takes two days! So hopefully will have the new unit within a week, then I'll place my old stuff in the crate and level 10 will send a truck to pick up up for the core charge. Then back to the dyno to finish! Hopefully end up somewhere around 500rwhp.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
That sounds pretty killer - if you don't mind me asking, what does the Level 10 trans and converter combo cost?

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
That's really not bad for what it is - Level 10 makes some pretty killer stuff. If it's really a 1000HP capable 5speed automatic, that's actually awesome.

In my case, my base TCI Streetfighter was $2900. I added $400 in the way of forum finds on a used hardened input shaft, billet servos, and deep pan. I then added another $1100 on a PI torque converter, taking the total trans build $4400.

Honestly, for $600 more I probably would've just done the Level 10 package and been done with it. Somehow I never heard about it.

SSPSTANGBANGER

LSx Slayer
Reaction score
GL with the 5R55 I had a buddy break two of them one stock one built with a 100 shot on a bolt-on stock motor in a 2008 GT.

The 4R70W is stronger when built but is a lot of extra parts.

Once Baumann gets the 6R80 controller done I think that will be the ticket a lot of people goto. That trans is a beast!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back