6R80, slight delay when going into reverse at times?

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Anybody else have this? It is a 2011, had TSB 11-11-11 done about a year ago. Shifts fine, no flares and reverse is not harsh when it engages. But sometimes when I put it in reverse it seems to have like a one second delay or so? Just how it is? Ideas?

2011/5.0

Reaction score
Hows the trans fluid level. U have a big stall iirc

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Hows the trans fluid level. U have a big stall iirc

No stall, trans is all stock.

Is there a solenoid just for reverse? Maybe that's going bad? It is a slight delay, and it doesn't always do it. Shifts fine too...

Stigma

forum member
Reaction score
Anybody else have this? It is a 2011, had TSB 11-11-11 done about a year ago. Shifts fine, no flares and reverse is not harsh when it engages. But sometimes when I put it in reverse it seems to have like a one second delay or so? Just how it is? Ideas?
This is my second 14 GT and they both did it-
My current 14 has about 1,600 miles and it has done it for a while...Not sure what it is but if it gets worse then i will address it but for now i just think its one of those things where both did the same Exact thing-

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
This is my second 14 GT and they both did it-
My current 14 has about 1,600 miles and it has done it for a while...Not sure what it is but if it gets worse then i will address it but for now i just think its one of those things where both did the same Exact thing-

Humm, maybe it is normal? Your delay is about a second or so too?

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
My 14 has about a second delay going into reverse so I don't think your having any issues.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
my 2005 with the 5r55s does this also

Mine would do it when shifted into drive... 5r55s on a 2010. ATF level was on the low side. The fix was to use the aftermarket auto tranny pan.... sold by AM. Provides for an extra 4 qts on a 5r55s. The version for the 6R80 provides for an extra 3 qts. On both versions, you get a locking type dipstick..... big enough diam, so you can add ATF if required.

I also added the JDM auto tranny catch can.... no more ATF puking all over the ground. Also added a B+M auto tranny cooler ( bar + plate type, 3/4" thick) in series with the ford oem Auto tranny cooler.

If you check ATF level in the morning..cold, it will read higher on the stick. Once up to 160-170 F... it will drop quite a bit....like almost 1"

IF the ATF is on the low side, it would have this delay when stuffed into drive..and also rvs. Once up to temp, it would not do it anymore.

The new pan is 2.1" deeper for the 5r55s. On flat level ground, the pan is also at an angle..lower at front end..where the stick is.

Not having a dipstick on the 5r55s drove me nuts...ditto the catch can + 2nd tranny cooler. Without the dipstick, you have no clue how much ATF is actually in there. You have to check it on dead level ground..like at most gas stations. It also takes a while to get the atf up to temp..like driving across town in 30 mph traffic. You can read the atf temp off the obd port on the aeroforce gauges etc. You can also see any slip on the obd port.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Spoke to my tuner (Mike Rousch), he said a slight delay going into reverse is normal...

brent_G

Custom User Title
Reaction score
my truck did it. Sometimes id put it in reverse and give it gas and then it would slowly go into reverse like i was slippng a clutch. I always had to wait a sec to get it full engaged before moving.

Back