'96 F250 PowerStroke Build (Another Ridiculous Build Thread Provided by Cam)

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
OBS has landed

a1dfc0df20c872e5d2aa69acf2ebf8b9.jpg

19fb145778815ae4fca85db71be8c7f4.jpg

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
We enjoyed the new truck over the weekend with putting 100 miles on it. Did the initial service today. Oil change, and overall checkout.

We are gonna put new ball joints on the front, and it needs the emergency brake pedal adjusted since it is not grabbing enough. We will also be installing the stock rear limited slip diff because the first owner put in a Detroit locker and it is way too temperamental on the street.

Next up will be getting the hood, super cowl, roof repainted since the oxidation is present. Will also be repainting bed rails and tail gate. I'm confident my shop be able to blend it without issue.

I hope no one objects to me using this thread to update the build. Lol

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Modding has commenced. She ordered a new clutch and tonneau cover. Going to try and put it in next week along with taking out the Detroit locker and installing the factory limited slip diff.

df30025867bd1a204e5bec8e72f55890.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Modding has commenced. She ordered a new clutch and tonneau cover. Going to try and put it in next week along with taking out the Detroit locker and installing the factory limited slip diff.

Cam, what size is that rear differential? Is it a 9.75"? I'm curious if that Detroit Locker would fit in my 2002 F150. If it is still in good shape and will fit, give me a holler and maybe we can work something out.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Haha nice. Some new pictures - she got her permanent tags.

Had our shop put in a new Southbend clutch this week (the other one was about to go), reinstall the stock limited slip diff (much more comfortable), and installed factory OEM cab lights with an OEM NOS harness.

0096280332f0c219120ca54043c44cbb.jpg

Next up we will be fluid filming the entire underside of the truck to preserve it against corrosion (this application lasts about 6-12 months). Makes the truck look super shiny too underneath. Also will be getting some of the paint work touched up since CA sun has taken a toll on the original paint.

Just a glimpse of some of the fluid film coating.

c48e11b297b762ab46e1294809cda8f9.jpg

Last edited:

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
You reinstall the stock limited slip diff what did they have in there?

That under coating stuff looks great! I might need to check into that.

How does the little lady like driving it so far? I know my 250 can be a bit rough around time or on wash board highways.

I dig the tag by the way.

Last edited:

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
The original owner installed a Detroit Locker back in '98. It was just way to temperamental in parking lots and traffic, especially with the manual the way it engaged would basically lunge the truck like it was ready to ram something. It was nice the truck was factory optioned with the LSD and we got the original with the sale (along with a bunch of other parts, manuals, etc).

The clutch that was in it, when we got it was SUPER hard... engagement point was nearly the floor. It was not easy for her to drive it when that was the case because of her height and how much pressure the pedal needed, we almost thought a pedal extender was needed. Now with the new Southbend, it is super light and effortless; she can drive it with ease. It's a good thing we did this because the friction material was fraying and the flywheel was about to go adios. She's been driving it nonstop and we've put about 200 miles on it since the install on Friday.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Wonder if he put a locker up front also. Yeah for daily driving it around town it doesn't make for a lot of fun to have a automatic locker out back. Now I wouldn't mind having a locker up front for when I need it. Sounds like you guys are getting things ironed out.

How about the ride quality? My wife hated how bouncy mine was. The first owner had put some air bags on the rear and I found with a little bit of air in them it really soften things up. That and having both tanks full.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Ride quality is decent for an unloaded F350 (the TTB usually rides better in the F250). However it is not as good, compared the the later model Super Duty leafs I was running in my Dana 60 swapped F250. At higher speeds, any road irregularities can be somewhat butt puckering. We eventually plan on doing the same suspension upgrade along with 35" tires, upgraded shocks, etc.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Ride quality is decent for an unloaded F350 (the TTB usually rides better in the F250). However it is not as good, compared the the later model Super Duty leafs I was running in my Dana 60 swapped F250. At higher speeds, any road irregularities can be somewhat butt puckering. We eventually plan on doing the same suspension upgrade along with 35" tires, upgraded shocks, etc.

I'll be watching to see what works for you guys.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back