A few track day videos

GR40Freak

Stig's American Cousin
Reaction score
Reaction score
Damn. Busy day at Infineon?? How the hell are you supposed to get a clean lap in all that? I always loved that track growing up playing on Gran Turismo. Those long swooping, & blind uphill/downhill turns just look like so much fun. Infineon is my favorite in the states next to Laguna.

Is that a go pro HD? Do you have it mounted in front of the upper grille or on the lower grill?

Last edited:

NEMustang

Mad Motorsports Products
Reaction score
GoPro HERO HD mounted on front bumper in front of the horse.

Colin

Colin,

This is David Lopilato from Boston...a customer of Griggs Racing and from Filip Trojanek/youself at Cortex Racing. If you remember, I flew out to CA to meet with Bruce Griggs, run the NASA track day, got a ride with John Griggs in GR40TT #001, while you (GR40ST) and Filip (GR350) where on the track...The Infineon track is great and spending time with you guys and evaluating the cars turned me into an immediate customer (I'm build a '65 Griggs Racing GR350 track car).

I mounted my GoPro Hero HD on the air dam and remove the front license plate on the track...I like your mounting point better as mine seem to focus too much on the immediate track surface.

For those of you not familiar with Colin (GR40Freak), he joined Filip Trojanek at Cortex Racing. Both Colin and Filip were associated with Griggs in different capacities. They make Radial Drop Spindles and other componets for S197 cars and are a Griggs Dealer.

I hope it's ok for me to give these guys a plug...they have treated me very well. They are at www.cortexracing.com. Check them out.

Reaction score
GoPro HERO HD mounted on front bumper in front of the horse.

Colin,
I mounted my GoPro Hero HD on the air dam and remove the front license plate on the track...I like your mounting point better as mine seem to focus too much on the immediate track surface.

That's why I asked. I was pretty sure, cause I've done both. Colin's angle looks much better, but I've had a bad experience using the suction cup on the front bumper. It came off just as I was leaving the grid causing me to buy a new case because they weren't selling lens covers separately. From then on, I used a sticky base and mounted the camera upside down, but it does mess with the camera being that low like NE stated. The bottom of the video looks blurry when mounted like that. The HD GoPro camera is worlds better than the regular and I haven't had problems with battery life. If you turn it on as you leave grid and turn it off immediately following your session, battery life is really good. The only thing that bugs me about them is the slight bit of crackling. I think it's because the snap in mount still has enough free play for the camera to pick up. I'd like to try and wedge some paper in there or something and try again.

Colin, were you using the exposed door or the "water submersible door"?

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Sweet videos! Excellent driving - looks like you were having a blast out there. What kind of power is your car putting down?

GR40Freak

Stig's American Cousin
Reaction score
Awesome vids!
What hood is that on the 08?
The hood is made by Tiger Racing. Its available as a pin on race piece in carbon or fiberglass. I made a street version by bonding the race piece to a stock frame so the hinges and latch work.

Colin,
This is David Lopilato from Boston...a customer of Griggs Racing and from Filip Trojanek/youself at Cortex Racing. If you remember, I flew out to CA to meet with Bruce Griggs, run the NASA track day, got a ride with John Griggs in GR40TT #001, while you (GR40ST) and Filip (GR350) where on the track...The Infineon track is great and spending time with you guys and evaluating the cars turned me into an immediate customer (I'm build a '65 Griggs Racing GR350 track car).

For those of you not familiar with Colin (GR40Freak), he joined Filip Trojanek at Cortex Racing. Both Colin and Filip were associated with Griggs in different capacities. They make Radial Drop Spindles and other componets for S197 cars and are a Griggs Dealer.

I hope it's ok for me to give these guys a plug...they have treated me very well. They are at www.cortexracing.com. Check them out.
Hi David, I remember you very well. I know we got those parts to you a while back, hows the 65 coming along? Mine is going pretty slow but will be scary fast in the end. I also tried the camera mounted on the airdam but it has two problems. One the low angle gives a false sense of speed and is just a generally poor viewing angle and two, the ground being so close to the camera causes a depth of field problem resulting in a blurry area at the base of the shot. The mounting point on the bumper as you can see gives much better results.

Colin

That's why I asked. I was pretty sure, cause I've done both. Colin's angle looks much better, but I've had a bad experience using the suction cup on the front bumper. It came off just as I was leaving the grid causing me to buy a new case because they weren't selling lens covers separately. From then on, I used a sticky base and mounted the camera upside down, but it does mess with the camera being that low like NE stated. The bottom of the video looks blurry when mounted like that. The HD GoPro camera is worlds better than the regular and I haven't had problems with battery life. If you turn it on as you leave grid and turn it off immediately following your session, battery life is really good. The only thing that bugs me about them is the slight bit of crackling. I think it's because the snap in mount still has enough free play for the camera to pick up. I'd like to try and wedge some paper in there or something and try again.

Colin, were you using the exposed door or the "water submersible door"?

I use the closed rear door and a piece of paper shop towel or wax paper between the mount and latch to keep the camera from shaking. Its also important that the camera case remain open ans in the sun until right before you go out on track, doing this will eliminate fogging.

Sweet videos! Excellent driving - looks like you were having a blast out there. What kind of power is your car putting down?

In every video you have seen the car has a CAI and headers, that's it. It made 300RWHP two years ago.

Colin

Thats really sick!

Thanks

Do you have any pics of your car? Great stuff!!!

-Mike
Yes I do, our gallery is here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/cortex.racing/

Colin

Updates on the car, Colin?
I looks like I had a head gasket go on Saturday. I'll know more in a few days when I get the chance to pull it apart. Its had over 18,000 track miles at this point at the speeds that you see in the videos so they aren't exactly easy track miles.

Colin

Last edited:

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
I saw the video of the rear mounted cam pointed at the griggs watts link.

Looks like a great piece. Anyone know if the Griggs watts can be purcased separately and if so how much?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back