Achilles Tires on Brembo Wheels.

Discussion in 'Tires and Wheels' started by LarryJM, Dec 14, 2020.

1. LarryJM

LarryJM Resident Fuktard

My 2016 Altima 3.5 SR does have the TPMS readout for each tire. It's the twin to my Mustang GT.

twins2.jpg

ShelbySteve likes this.
  2. ShelbySteve

ShelbySteve Member

My wife has a 2016 Nissan Murano base model and it shows the tire pressures. Hell it even honks when you get to the correct air pressure when filling them up.

3. LikeabossTM

LikeabossTM forum member

I dislike horns that honk anytime other than when the operator is pressing the horn button. Strongly dislike.

Topically, nobody associates Achilles with his strength, only his ultimate weakness. I wouldn't choose that name for any product I want to sell.

4. LarryJM

LarryJM Resident Fuktard

You must know Brad Pitt.

5. ShelbySteve

ShelbySteve Member

Considering it honks at me twice a year it doesn’t bother me.

6. nawagner

nawagner forum member

LOL, this is the first thing I though when I read the thread title. I was expecting a threat about how tires were the problem with Brembo brakes.

7. LarryJM

LarryJM Resident Fuktard

The issue seems to be Cheap Tires with Cheap TPMS sensors or Cheap Spacers. So I purchased four Achilles tires in 245 45 19 for $300 to my door. At first I thought they were made in China. Not so. It's really Indonesia with offices all over the world. The tires seem to be Hankook V12 copies. They are well thought of with the Tokyo Drift set. They are also W rated tires that are so-so in the rain and snow. My Mustang GT has NEVER seen a drop of rain or snow since new. I only started this after finding four very ugly Brembo wheels at a junkyard for $200. They just needed 1 hour of 2700 psi pressure wash. Now they look like new. Are they true? Don't know yet. Just waiting for the PO to deliver some cheap or mid price TPMS sensors to find out. I am sure when I am done, I will have $700 in it vis $1400. On another issue, Black Powder Coated Wheels attract brake dust and road grime and it does not like to come off.

8. Juice

Juice forum member

Dont know about you guys, I can feel if a tire is low just driving the car. Anything less than about 24 psi on one corner is noticable. Dont need no stinkin' warning light! lol

I run 34 on the street and 30ish pressures on track, Cold. Check and adjust at the end of a run after measuring tire temps and pressure buildup. Once dialed in for good temp spread across the tires, I can feel 1/2 psi adjustments. Just sayin'

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  9. Anti

Anti forum member

Stop hatin the achilles tires till you get your facts.. too many pro d-1 drift teams running them with 120 mph sideways entries with 160 mph wheel speeds, running them till no tread to give'em "75+ mph" hate. Sheesh.. lol Now, lionhart there's a tire to hate on! (Lol, not sure on that either. I have never run those).

jewc75 likes this.
  10. ShelbySteve

ShelbySteve Member

Next time quote me. Great comparison. They use a cheap tire to shred drifting and must mean they’re great quality. I even stated that they may or may not be a decent tire, but I wouldn't trust it.

11. Anti

Anti forum member

Lol, hit dog always barks. Dont take offense as none was meant. I was being more playful than anything. You would have no doubt if i was trying to be offensive. But to your point about great tires to shred, if they were terrible, belts would blow/fail wayyyyyyy before they wore down to the wires. Now, for being an awesome road course tire? I have nooooo clue.

ShelbySteve likes this.
  12. ShelbySteve

ShelbySteve Member

I didn’t take offense but you were referring to my comment. The only thing I could even find on that tire in this forum was in this thread so who knows. It would be nice to get some real testing on them and I could quit spending so much damn money buying tires for myself lol

Anti likes this.
  13. jewc75

jewc75 S197 Junkie S197 Team Member

For a daily tire they are great. I dont drive my car daily, maybe 200 miles a month. It handles great with them on the car and they hook pretty decent for a street tire.

ShelbySteve likes this.
  14. LarryJM

LarryJM Resident Fuktard

To me visually they look great and now they are $125 each if you can find them. Now for the TPMS sensors. All the auto stores want $60 each and that includes my installer who I trust. He said if I get the cheaper one he will install those. So I purchased 4 from Ebay at $25. This morning they are sitting at a PO in Edison NJ. I purchased 2 from RockAuto for $50 and they are sitting in a PO in Cleveland. The snow is still sitting around so I guess I am in no hurry.

15. LarryJM

LarryJM Resident Fuktard

Just got my TPMS sensors. Four No Brand Name for $25 or $6 each and two Name Brand from Rock Auto for $50 or $25 each. We will see which ones work.

UPDATE: The expensive ones have four times the sending power of the cheap ones and one of the cheap ones is completely dead. So the cheap ones from Ebay go back.

DSC_0289.JPG

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  16. xeninworx

xeninworx Member

That’s why I got the Schrader ones rather than eBay or random ones from Amazon for less $$$. Pay more for the Schrader but you know they’ll work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.