Action cameras

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My old GoPro hero 3 is biting the dust. I’m on a budget and in search of a new action camera.

I would like to discuss what cameras you guys use, what you like, don’t like and do on.

Will be for boating, fishing, some off roading with a side by side with the family, hiking, and then racing and under car videos to see suspension movements.

I’m looking at these currently
- Akaso v50 pro
- Firefly 8SE
- SJcam SJ8 pro
- SJcam SJ7 star
- YI lite and YI 4K

Also what phone holders do you have for in the car. I have iPhone X. Would like to use for driving around, dash cam just because, video the wideband, and inside the cab for track days. Also any handheld gimbals you’d recommend for a budget?

Thanks guys.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
I currently have a go pro in the same situation, I recently saw a Garmin camera that looks pretty cool that I'm considering next. Never checked any you have listed. Here is the Garmin.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/522869
They all shoot 4k@30fps except for the SJcam SJ8 which does 4k@60fps and the YI lite does 4k@25fps. My top 3 are the first 3 listed. The firefly seems to be a little better in the gyro and crisp pic quality than the Akaso v50 pro but really other than that thats it. The Akaso is roughly $120 and goes on sale often for about $100 once I saw under $100.

The firefly is about $150 and on sale often for under $110 to about $120. On sale I'd get the firefly over the Akaso. Now the SJcam SJ8 pro is another animal its up with the hero 6 and YI 4K+ but even cheaper than both. I have seen around $170-$260. Not sure how often on same though. Only reason I'd go for that over the others is for the 1080p@120fps for slow motion when getting launch videos at the strip. It's really a matter of whats on sale lol.

But I do want to get 2 and then a mount for my phone. One to start and then get another down the road. But I can say I may most likely end up with the Firefly. But those 3 are amazing deals and good quality. Many videos comparing the the hero 6 the top dog.

But if that garmin is in your range check out the SJ8 pro more for the price I believe. I only found this because of my brother. One of his PJ buddies got one for their training and then my brother got one. He got awesome footage from a HALO jump.

Last edited:
Back