Advice on replacing HVAC and FDIM modules in console

GW95

Reaction score
The lights on my air controls, the external temperature on the display, and the air conditioning all went out in recently in my 2012 mustang (base model). Air still blows and heat works, but it doesn't blow cold. Took it to the Ford dealer for a diagnostic, and it looks like 3 modules in the console are not responding and probably need replaced. Obviously it's crazy expensive to get the 3 things from Ford and to have a dealer install them.

Has anyone seen where you can find just the control modules aftermarket? Any other suggestions on what you might do here would be super helpful.

Deathstang II

Reaction score
The lights on my air controls, the external temperature on the display, and the air conditioning all went out in recently in my 2012 mustang (base model). Air still blows and heat works, but it doesn't blow cold. Took it to the Ford dealer for a diagnostic, and it looks like 3 modules in the console are not responding and probably need replaced. Obviously it's crazy expensive to get the 3 things from Ford and to have a dealer install them.

Has anyone seen where you can find just the control modules aftermarket? Any other suggestions on what you might do here would be super helpful.

Probably better off picking them off a used parts car personally. Not sure how mechanically inclined you are, but I'd start there before I'd ever touch Fords shit.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds fishy to me. Did fhe dealer provide a scan printout?
Lost communication codes are common and nothing to be concerned about, unless the scan tool really cannot scan the modules in question.
Time to get Forscan and an elm327 adapter.
If your only complaint is dash lights out and no AC, I would say burned out bulbs and the system is low on refrigerant are the most likely culprits.

GW95

Reaction score
Sounds fishy to me. Did fhe dealer provide a scan printout?
Lost communication codes are common and nothing to be concerned about, unless the scan tool really cannot scan the modules in question.
Time to get Forscan and an elm327 adapter.
If your only complaint is dash lights out and no AC, I would say burned out bulbs and the system is low on refrigerant are the most likely culprits.

That's helpful, thanks. Yeah, he was saying that he was getting no response whatsoever from those modules when he did it. But, I'm not convinced at all now that replacing them is actually what's needed. I've been reading a lot more about people having trouble with their SJBs with things like corrosion due to water damage or broken wires. I swapped fuses in there for the system in case that was it, but that didn't do it. Think I'll pop the whole thing out of there next and look for obvious damage. Hoping it is a little corrosion that I could just clean.

It's definitely not an issue with the AC system itself... it's been out for awhile, but randomly a couple weeks ago, all the systems that were out came back on all of a sudden, including the AC blowing cold air as normal. So... at least I know it's all tied to whatever electrical outage/failed communication is going on.

A couple people mentioned Forscan to me. Never used it, but I'll look for into it. Going to see if there's anything with the SJB first.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan.
The sjb is relatively easy to pull out and can be opened up pretty easy to check for corrosion/water damage.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back